what are the downfalls of getting an unlocked BB from another carrier besides warranty?

do you get a roaming icon constantly?
    do your service books get sent properly from your carrier/ (in my case rogers)?
    08-09-10 08:18 AM
    what are the downfalls of getting an unlocked BB from another carrier besides warranty?

do you get a roaming icon constantly?
    do your service books get sent properly from your carrier/ (in my case rogers)?
    Depending on your carrier you may have to manually configure the Data network on your phone.
    08-09-10 10:13 AM
    there are no real downfalls to getting an unlocked BB and using it, it will work just like it was from rogers, dont worry about service books or anything like that... and the icon will not be there. i believe the only time the icon is there is if you are roaming out of your SIM cards network... so if you go to the US with your Rogers SIM card in then it will display the roaming indicator
    08-09-10 11:21 AM
    well i called 4 AT&T stores and all of them said there isn't a problem getting a phone outright outwith an account...

the only phone that is restricted is the iphone...
    08-09-10 11:33 AM
    well i called 4 AT&T stores and all of them said there isn't a problem getting a phone outright outwith an account...

the only phone that is restricted is the iphone...
    You didn't happen to call the Buffalo stores did you? I was thinking of heading down to pick one up myself.
    08-09-10 12:51 PM
    yep buffalo stores.. some of them were in PA and OH, where i will be driving through to get to my destination ; >
    08-09-10 02:17 PM
    08-09-10 08:40 PM
    i hope its just a rumor lol
    08-09-10 08:48 PM
    Thats a flat out LIE. Rogers would never wait that long to release it. They themselves said ' in the coming weeks', they didnt say next month. At the latest its going to release by end of august.

However, if it does take till sept 16, im not waiting that long. I'll buy one from usa.
    08-09-10 09:11 PM
    hey
    i am buying the torch on the 12th hopefully from at & t with no contract. will i be able to unlock it, turn off the data services and use it to replace my regular cell phone until i can get a new contract?
    i am with rogers and plan to stay with them?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    08-09-10 09:16 PM
    hey
    i am buying the torch on the 12th hopefully from at & t with no contract. will i be able to unlock it, turn off the data services and use it to replace my regular cell phone until i can get a new contract?
    i am with rogers and plan to stay with them?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Yes, there shouldn't be a problem with that. I don't think you can turn off the data though you have to actually call rogers and ask them to. Unless os 6 has put in option to disable data.
    08-09-10 09:20 PM
    Thats a flat out LIE. Rogers would never wait that long to release it. They themselves said ' in the coming weeks', they didnt say next month. At the latest its going to release by end of august.

However, if it does take till sept 16, im not waiting that long. I'll buy one from usa.
    Are you bi-polar?? Weren't you the guy ripping into everyone to "Just be patient"
    08-09-10 09:37 PM
    That was over a couple of days. this is over a full month, and a week on top of that month.
    08-09-10 09:39 PM
    That was over a couple of days. this is over a full month, and a week on top of that month.
    Ahh... Forgive me that makes perfect sense. Sorry to burst your bubble but the 9800 is not coming out until late September in Canada.
    08-09-10 09:43 PM
    I'm pretty excited to get this phone, but it'll be a while before I own one, thanks to my upgrade. I can probably get it 12 months into my contract which is fine as long as I have the leaked OS6 to keep me busy for a while.
    By the way Rogers customers... Rogers is offering their 6gb plan again, but it expires at the end of Sept I think. I've never used much more then 500mb, but now I can youtube with no overage worries and it's only costing 5 bucks more a month.
    PS I'm in calgary
    08-09-10 10:04 PM
    I called AT&T today and asked if I was able to purchase the BlackBerry Torch if I didn't have an AT&T account. The rep said no. How are all you guys getting the torch from USA?
    08-09-10 10:29 PM
    I called AT&T today and asked if I was able to purchase the BlackBerry Torch if I didn't have an AT&T account. The rep said no. How are all you guys getting the torch from USA?
    You don't need an account, just go into the store and buy one. I bought the iphone from AT&T when it first came out with no issues. You can't buy over the phone though without an account.
    08-10-10 12:12 AM
    Rogers release date most likely end of the month it just got posted on sales central for Rogers dealer I do not think it will release the same day as at&t

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 05:29 AM
    which at&t store did u call?

i called the stores in the buffalo area, erie (PA), and Cleveland (OH).. and all of them said its not a problem...

this is what i said "hello, i was just wondering if there is any policy regarding a non-account holder for AT&T to come in and buy the new blackberry 9800 outright if it's a gift for someone with an AT&T account"

and the responses i got were:

"why would there be a policy? if your willing to pay full retail price for it then by all means you can buy it"

"yah it's not a problem, the only phone you cannot buy is the iphone 4 because apple restricted it"

"yes you can it's not a problem"

which store did you call? maybe i will call it as well and see what kind of response i get ; >
    08-10-10 08:22 AM
    Geez. I wish I knew for sure, because I don't want to drive all the way down to Bellingham and NOT be able to buy one.
    08-10-10 11:14 AM
    which at&t store did u call?

i called the stores in the buffalo area, erie (PA), and Cleveland (OH).. and all of them said its not a problem...

this is what i said "hello, i was just wondering if there is any policy regarding a non-account holder for AT&T to come in and buy the new blackberry 9800 outright if it's a gift for someone with an AT&T account"

and the responses i got were:

"why would there be a policy? if your willing to pay full retail price for it then by all means you can buy it"

"yah it's not a problem, the only phone you cannot buy is the iphone 4 because apple restricted it"

"yes you can it's not a problem"

which store did you call? maybe i will call it as well and see what kind of response i get ; >
    I believe it was one of them in syracuse. I don't remember actually.
    08-10-10 12:37 PM
    I just called one of the stores in Bellingham. They told me that you can't buy the Torch outright, it is only with a 2 year contract. They told me to try calling a corporate store, but I have't got around to that yet.
    08-10-10 01:56 PM
    it seems like it depends who you get on the phone..

hopefully i will get a rep that will sell it to me outright ; >
    08-10-10 03:48 PM
    Half the people I called barely knew how much the price was. One said $700 outright, another said $199 outright, another said $299 with 2 year. How come these AT&T reps no nothing... Isn't there like a good 3 weeks of training for the job?
    08-10-10 03:51 PM
    Just make the drive...the reps are just talking out of their a**.
    08-10-10 08:45 PM
1,267 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD