08-17-10 03:33 PM
    I really think RIM should litigate PC World. They are the earliest source of these "statements" that I can locate and they keep propagating it.

RIM Halves BlackBerry Torch Price to Boost Sales - PCWorld Business Center

Has the BlackBerry Torch Flopped Already? - PCWorld

BlackBerry Torch Fizzles: What's Next For RIM? - PCWorld Business Center
    08-17-10 03:43 PM
    I really think RIM should litigate PC World. They are the earliest source of these "statements" that I can locate and they keep propagating it.

RIM Halves BlackBerry Torch Price to Boost Sales - PCWorld Business Center

Has the BlackBerry Torch Flopped Already? - PCWorld

BlackBerry Torch Fizzles: What's Next For RIM? - PCWorld Business Center
    Its a low performing device and the customers have spoken with $$$$$ Litigate what? For reporting the truth?
    08-17-10 04:18 PM
    guys i called up att today spoke to a manager told them about the amazon deal and she credited my account for 100 bucks so the torch cost me $100...do it it works
    Just spoke to ATT myself as well....I'm assuming you were already eligible for the upgrade? As I'm not eligible for an upgrade until Dec (which they will override) they were still not going to price match the Amazon price....so $199 is what they said they could do it for.

Anyone else bought the phone through AT&T for $99 as part of an early upgrade?
    08-17-10 04:26 PM
    I'll tell you what it is -- it's:

"I want a smartphone so I can check my email, Facebook and Twitter! Cool it has all those apps, should be fun? Why do people hate BB? I don't care about how it looks"

And then you play with it and after a little while you start to notice that BB does EVERYTHING slower, laggier, and your phone is EOLed in a short period. It doesn't hit you quick. The smartphone experience is fun at first. Over time though, you'll get a clock in an important spot...a message you can't read...a battery pull when you're busy...and then you realize other phone owners don't have to put up with this.

This is why 50% of BB users want out. It's lack of awareness.
    WOW, couldn't have said it better myself...
    08-17-10 04:37 PM
    Awesome, I've disputed the facts on some articles as well. But I'm sure this has already damaged RIM's reputation. It's amazing how news can move so quickly ahead of facts......
    got a reply:

Thanks Ryan, looking into it.

--
    Jason Chen
    Editor, Gizmodo
    [email protected]

On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:19 PM, Ryan wrote:

Gizmodo,

Forwarding this to the editors because I would like to see something done about this misleading report. Thanks.

Ryan
    08-17-10 04:41 PM

"I want a smartphone so I can check my email, Facebook and Twitter! Cool it has all those apps, should be fun? Why do people hate BB? I don't care about how it looks"

And then you play with it and after a little while you start to notice that BB does EVERYTHING slower, laggier, and your phone is EOLed in a short period. It doesn't hit you quick. The smartphone experience is fun at first. Over time though, you'll get a clock in an important spot...a message you can't read...a battery pull when you're busy...and then you realize other phone owners don't have to put up with this.

This is why 50% of BB users want out. It's lack of awareness.
    Very strong post.
    08-17-10 04:52 PM
    ZING!

Corrections: Amazon Has Been Selling BlackBerry Torch for $100 Since Launch

The post this morning claiming the BB Torch has been discounted for low sales was incorrect. Amazon has been selling the phone at $100 since launch, and we have corrected the original story to reflect this.

Send an email to Jason Chen, the author of this post, at [email protected].
    08-17-10 05:27 PM
    So... I've called a few times to see if AT&T will credit my account, no dice so far. Dan, what exactly did you say to get the credit?

I'm also apparently ineligible for the $99 price on Amazon because I'm part of a family account... What's that about?
    08-17-10 06:11 PM
    Its a low performing device and the customers have spoken with $$$$$ Litigate what? For reporting the truth?
    I will see your Iphone 4 on Ebay on 9-02-10.
    08-17-10 06:25 PM
    ZING!

Corrections: Amazon Has Been Selling BlackBerry Torch for $100 Since Launch

The post this morning claiming the BB Torch has been discounted for low sales was incorrect. Amazon has been selling the phone at $100 since launch, and we have corrected the original story to reflect this.

Send an email to Jason Chen, the author of this post, at [email protected].
    That was awesome of you to be so diligent about it, and get results!!!!!!

And well done to everyone else who may have contributed to this.
    Last edited by Vajraja; 08-17-10 at 07:15 PM. Reason: English fail : (
    08-17-10 06:58 PM
    For consistently reporting a lie that RIM slashed the price of the phone. Perhaps if you read and took your fanboy hat off, you may have noticed that point. Whatever your opinion on the Torch, no company deserves to have their reputation dragged through the mud for a lie just to draw up cheap publicity. And yes PC World LIED consistently.
    08-17-10 07:00 PM
    That was awesome of you to be so diligent about it.

Well then everyone who may have contributed to this.
    unfortunately, the damage has been done..
    same thing with the reviews before launch date.
    i know people who stayed away from the torch because of the percieved low quality screen and slow processor..
    only to be proven wrong when they see my Torch.
    08-17-10 07:00 PM
    i'll be sure to report back in here when rim actually does slash the price, which it's already being rumored that they are going to. there's no faking the screen buddy, it's outdated, as well as the processor. i'm holding the torch right now, and it's giving me the spinning clock of death just scrolling contacts, as reported by nearly every site out there, except this one. keep up the 'everybody else is lying' nonsense tho, palm forums and nokia forums are still doing that too.
    08-17-10 07:04 PM

Yeah that would **** me off if it ever happened to me. Good thing my 9000 is still rock solid and I will have my Torch tomorrow!
    08-17-10 07:09 PM
    hey why dont you admit you were wrong
    08-17-10 07:11 PM
    I agree with a few others in here in that it should be a $99 device. I say that because I just won't compete at the $199 level with the devices on the market today. IMO the Torch is a mid tier phone. that's not an insult, just a fact. I would buy it for $99. Its not a bad phone, but definitely still not top tier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 07:37 PM
    I agree with a few others in here in that it should be a $99 device. I say that because I just won't compete at the $199 level with the devices on the market today. IMO the Torch is a mid tier phone. that's not an insult, just a fact. I would buy it for $99. Its not a bad phone, but definitely still not top tier.

shouldn't the price be based on how much went in for the production of the phone? the Torch is around $170 -$180..
    08-17-10 08:20 PM
    shouldn't the price be based on how much went in for the production of the phone? the Torch is around $170 -$180..
    No. RIM makes money off of subsidies from AT&T, Amazon, etc. Phone costs say $180. You pay $500 if you want it out-right. That $320 profit goes towards R&D, Ads, income, etc.

When you buy from AT&T for $99 as some are doing, AT&T gives X dollars to RIM (say $300). So they get $100 from you, give RIM $300. The loss of $200 is made up by the profits from your now 2 year contract with them.
    08-17-10 09:29 PM
    This is all I can tell ya:
    so what your saying is that you bought if for $99 the first time. you didn't buy it for $199 and haggle is down to $99?
    08-18-10 06:39 AM
    so what your saying is that you bought if for $99 the first time. you didn't buy it for $199 and haggle is down to $99?
    That is correct.
    08-18-10 07:07 AM
    i'll be sure to report back in here when rim actually does slash the price, which it's already being rumored that they are going to. there's no faking the screen buddy, it's outdated, as well as the processor. i'm holding the torch right now, and it's giving me the spinning clock of death just scrolling contacts, as reported by nearly every site out there, except this one. keep up the 'everybody else is lying' nonsense tho, palm forums and nokia forums are still doing that too.
    Ya know that's kinda strange because I can scroll back and forth thru my contacts as fast as I can and have yet to see a spinning clock.

Try again. pretty lame attempt.
    08-18-10 09:46 AM
    morale of the story:

never buy anything on its first day/week. always wait a month at least!
    08-18-10 09:48 AM
    Ya know that's kinda strange because I can scroll back and forth thru my contacts as fast as I can and have yet to see a spinning clock.

Try again. pretty lame attempt.
    I rarely ever see spinning clock - even before I updated to .161. The device is even faster now than it was out of the box.

I think there was something wrong with mine - software/OS-wise - out of the box. I was getting much longer reboot times than anyone else and now that I've upgraded - whether it's the upgrade to .161 itself or just the simple act of starting with a clean OS install - everything is even faster - and I am even happier with my Torch.
    08-18-10 09:50 AM
    I ended up paying around $150.00ish for mine. Got a $50.00 in store refund and they waved the a few other fees as well.

09-16-10 01:56 PM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD