for those looking to do early upgrades and get the $99 price, you may not be able to do it through 3rd party....just got off the phone with Amazon and they are saying they can't do it...
    08-17-10 08:31 AM
    how did you get that done? i've called twice now and all they tell me is they don't price match. i have to return it within 30 days, or waste a trip into the store to tell me the same thing. how ******** it that. i wonder how much the "restocking" fee is i'm sure they'll charge me. do they charge it even if it has a tinny echo??
    This is all I can tell ya:

Welcome To AT&T
    AT&T - Torch Wireless Order Confirmation

Dear ************,

Welcome to the largest digital voice and data network in America.

Thank you for your recent order, we value and appreciate your business. Your Torch order has been reserved and is expected to ship within 3 to 5 business days*. At AT&T, we promise to deliver product in the order in which requests are received. You can rest assured that we will deliver your order as soon as our inventory permits.

As soon as your device ships, we will send an email confirmation including a tracking number for your convenience.

Please refer to the important information below.

Billing Account Number: **********
    Equipment Order Number: ************
    Shipping Order Number: ***********

Item Name Item
    Number Quantity Ordered Unit Price Extended Price
    Research in Motion 9800 BLK PHONE 68001 1 $99.99 $99.99
    Various SIM 73043 1 $0.0 $0.0
    FREIGHT 88869 1 $9.95 $9.95

Here are the details of the services you have selected for your new subscribers to AT&T.

Subscriber Name Wireless
    Number Rate Plan
    N******** 3**-***-** NTN***********

Check the status of your order at any time at our website by clicking here or by calling our automated system at 877-782-8870.

Manage your account and view your bill at our website. Sign up using your wireless number by clicking here .

Thank you again for choosing AT&T and we look forward to serving your wireless needs for a long time to come.

Sincerely,

AT&T

�* The actual shipment date and receipt of your order is not guaranteed and may be subject to delays for reasons that include, but are not limited to, product availability, inventory, credit issues, number porting or carrier delays, and completion of other required AT&T business processes.

This e-mail was auto generated. Please do not respond.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

� AT&T Knowledge Ventures. All rights reserved. AT&T is a trademark of AT&T Knowledge Ventures.
    08-17-10 08:47 AM
    the difference of opinions is probably due to some of these hacks just re-wording a few of the main ideas of the story. the internet is one giant Chinese whispers at times spreading bs news around. it's somewhat damaging but hey for those who can get the torch cheaper. all power to them, but had i bought this at 199 last week id be a little peeved. To be honest, it should have been cheaper to begin with.

in saying that, i still think the torch is a pretty damn good phone!
    Last edited by zensen; 08-17-10 at 10:47 AM. Reason: late night typing sucks
    08-17-10 10:43 AM
    All I can tell you is I got it fro 99 by calling CS yesterday. I am not sure if you can get that price at the store.
    Well I called CS and I wasn't happy with the result hence the post in my signature.

Now, I can REALLY get into a price cut to $99. I'll check into it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Good luck, I got stonewalled.
    08-17-10 11:08 AM
    The article's overall point is correct and captures the general sentiment. RIM missed the mark with the Torch and will likely continue to see declining market share to Android and Apple, even in the corporate realm.
    08-17-10 11:19 AM
    The article's overall point is correct and captures the general sentiment. RIM missed the mark with the Torch and will likely continue to see declining market share to Android and Apple, even in the corporate realm.
    **Ignore button**
    08-17-10 11:24 AM
    Well I called CS and I wasn't happy with the result hence the post in my signature.
    Sorry man, I guess I just caught the right rep at the right time. I am premier but that only accounts for $50.00.
    08-17-10 11:26 AM
    Sorry man, I guess I just caught the right rep at the right time. I am premier but that only accounts for $50.00.
    I'm premier as well and have been a customer since Cingular. I just called in again and this time the supervisor verified the offer on Amazon.com and applied the $118 credit.

I'm not sure if it's just due to who I got but I think it has to do with calling twice, being a long term customer, how much I pay per month, that I mentioned mailing the CEO, I posted the email on my site and mentioned it, as well as asking to be escalated to the executive office.

If you give it a try, you may or may not be successful. I don't suggest mentioning that you know somebody else who got a credit as that's more likely to hurt your chances due to the way AT&T handles internal customer issues.
    08-17-10 11:36 AM
    forget the 99 or 199 just buy it outright for 500.00, I had to so i could use in canada but would still pay the outright and have contract freedom.
    08-17-10 11:46 AM
    Good deal, I guess maybe it is how you approach them, I straight up said what is the best deal you can get me...when she came back with $99.00 I was floored. The reps cannot make that much of a cut themselves so something is up.
    08-17-10 11:52 AM
    Najo, what's your service plan with AT&T? Is it a single line or family line? I can only upgrade a secondary line in my family plan.

Does the $99 price apply to a secondary line in family plan, or just individual plan? Is it applicable for upgrading? Or only new customer contract (new line/new number)? I see that for amazon and wirefly, if i want to upgrade a secondary line, i paid $199 as well, not $99, but that was couple days ago.

Thanks.
    08-17-10 11:57 AM
    forget the 99 or 199 just buy it outright for 500.00, I had to so i could use in canada but would still pay the outright and have contract freedom.
    Apples to oranges... If you want to be off contract or want an unlocked phone then sure but for those who got it for $199 I doubt those were considerations.
    08-17-10 11:58 AM
    Are we really going to complain if it gets cheaper? That's a little backward.

08-17-10 11:59 AM
    Najo, what's your service plan with AT&T? Is it a single line or family line? I can only upgrade a secondary line in my family plan.

Does the $99 price apply to a secondary line in family plan, or just individual plan? Is it applicable for upgrading? Or only new customer contract (new line/new number)? I see that for amazon and wirefly, if i want to upgrade a secondary line, i paid $199 as well, not $99, but that was couple days ago.

Thanks.
    I have a single line 39.00 voice 30.00 data 5.00 text and insurance. This was a two year renewal.
    08-17-10 12:01 PM

For people who haven't bought them yet, yes. For people who bought them at the higher price a couple of days ago, no.
    08-17-10 12:02 PM
    Your not going to hear any complaints from me!
    08-17-10 12:02 PM

If it was available places other than AT&T with an AT&T subsidy to bring it down to $99 then AT&T should have sold it at that price or made credits available IMHO.

Ultimately $199 or $99 AT&T still pays $699 per device hence the contract :-)
    08-17-10 12:03 PM
    To all the Chicken Little types out there -

The Blackberry site sends you to AT&T:
    BlackBerry - AT&T BlackBerry Torch 9800 Release Date - BlackBerry Torch Price

AT&T quotes the price below:

BlackBerry® Torch (TM) Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T

Amazon has it at $99...and oh by the way, they have the 9700 at .01

Amazon.com: blackberry torch Cell Phone Plans

As they have all these Android devices also at $0.01
    Amazon.com: android phone Cell Phone Plans

Of course, they don't have an iPhone because Jobs would have an aneurysm and the world would end...

I would suggest that you *comprehend* what you're reading and that you do some research before believing what you are being spoonfed by some media outlets.
    nice find!
    thanks! it's really good to have more info before anyone hits the "RED" button
    08-17-10 12:25 PM
    So the price is now where it should have been all along for old hardware.

No way in **** the Torch, with it's one to two year old hardware should sell for as much as the iPhone, Droid X, or any other quality smartphone.
    Well if you put it like that I guess the Itoy should be 50 bucks, the Droid $99 and the 9800 $199.00! That is if you are going to rate by quality.
    08-17-10 12:51 PM
    nice find!
    thanks! it's really good to have more info before anyone hits the "RED" button
    hee, hee...I'd actually stepped back and deleted the post after a couple of seconds because I wanted to post it on another idiotic thread....

yeah, for all the ones who are screaming - they don't realise that it's outlets who are selling the phones at $99. Not RIM, not ATT. They will, but haven't done it yet.

I wonder why people don't do some research before jumping to conclusions.
    08-17-10 12:55 PM
    Well if you put it like that I guess the Itoy should be 50 bucks, the Droid $99 and the 9800 $199.00! That is if you are going to rate by quality.
    Well, it depends...it should be how often the device works as it should....as in how often you can actually *make calls* with it....
    08-17-10 12:57 PM
    Finally a correction. Thank you WSJ for checking their facts. BTW PC World seems to be the originator of these false statements.....

Amazon’s $99 BlackBerry Torch Puts Pressure on Retailers - Digits - WSJ

Contrary to other reports, Amazon hasn’t dropped its price — Amazon has discounted the Torch to $99.99 since the phone launched Aug. 12.

“That is indeed correct — since launch, we have offered the Torch for $99.99,” said Amazon.com spokeswoman Stacy Page. “As in all Amazon.com product categories, we work consistently to maintain competitive prices on AmazonWireless.”

EDIT: RIM is finally responding to these bs pricing issues:

Updated CNET article: BlackBerry Torch already being sold at discount | The Digital Home - CNET News

Update, 12:25 p.m. PDT: RIM is clearly sensitive about the pricing issue. The company said in a statement Tuesday that Amazon's decision to offer the Torch at a discounted price since launch is nothing remarkable. It also said that it has yet to cut the official price of this latest BlackBerry.

"It is true that Amazon is offering an amazing price and this is great news for customers, but it is inaccurate and misleading to suggest that a price cut has been implemented," a RIM spokesperson said in an e-mailed statement. "Amazon actually launched the BlackBerry Torch from the very beginning at $99 and that is obviously a common online pricing and promotional strategy that has been used with many other product introductions in the past."

The RIM spokesperson included a link showing other "attractive discounts" being offered on Amazon's smartphone listings page.
    Last edited by Vajraja; 08-17-10 at 02:54 PM. Reason: More info.
    08-17-10 02:45 PM
    just sent this off to Jesus Diaz (the one who reported on Gizmodo):

Jesus,

I think it would behoove Gizmodo to update/edit their article about RIM slashing the 9800's price. The facts in the article are incorrect. RIM has not cut the price themselves, and Amazon.com has had the 9800 at the $99 pricepoint since launch. Please see this article in the WSJ for all points:
    Amazon’s $99 BlackBerry Torch Puts Pressure on Retailers - Digits - WSJ
    I understand that the price change may be surprising, but the way that your post is worded clearly implicates an anti-RIM bias in Gizmodo's reporting, which I believe (and hope) is not true. Thank you for your time.
    08-17-10 03:22 PM
    just sent this off to Jesus Diaz (the one who reported on Gizmodo):

Jesus,

I think it would behoove Gizmodo to update/edit their article about RIM slashing the 9800's price. The facts in the article are incorrect. RIM has not cut the price themselves, and Amazon.com has had the 9800 at the $99 pricepoint since launch. Please see this article in the WSJ for all points:
    Amazon�s $99 BlackBerry Torch Puts Pressure on Retailers - Digits - WSJ
    I understand that the price change may be surprising, but the way that your post is worded clearly implicates an anti-RIM bias in Gizmodo's reporting, which I believe (and hope) is not true. Thank you for your time.
    Awesome, I've disputed the facts on some articles as well. But I'm sure this has already damaged RIM's reputation. It's amazing how news can move so quickly ahead of facts......
    08-17-10 03:30 PM
    guys i called up att today spoke to a manager told them about the amazon deal and she credited my account for 100 bucks so the torch cost me $100...do it it works
    08-17-10 03:32 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD