10-25-10 04:03 PM
48 12
tools
    I'm on my second Torch (the first wobbled a little and I panicked), This one is not as bad, but to tell you the truth, neither was enough to get excited about. I've had a couple of other slider phones and this is always going to happen. I love the phone, how it works and everything. I'll be getting a new one in about 16 months anyway (I always renew early), so it's no big deal to me. I figure I spend $200 in 16 months on fodder anyway (that's only about $13 per month), so I'll just enjoy the phone and wait for the next latest and greatest.
    10-21-10 12:57 AM
    To add;

I spoke to O2 UK this morning about the wobble on my (3rd) device.

The rep was very helpful and, after a quick conversation with a couple of his collegues, has e-mailed a couple of people in O2 who are in contact with RIM. He didn't replace my device and told me to just keep using it unless it becomes un-usable and then they will replace it. He will 'phone me back in the next couple of days once he has had a reply.

Good progress I feel, and it looks like (the UK ones at least) are taking this seriously.
    10-21-10 07:04 AM
    The rep was very helpful and, after a quick conversation with a couple of his collegues, has e-mailed a couple of people in O2 who are in contact with RIM. He didn't replace my device and told me to just keep using it unless it becomes un-usable and then they will replace it. He will 'phone me back in the next couple of days once he has had a reply.
    that sounds promissing & very simular to what Orange told me, we will just have to wait & see what happens.

Would be really interested to see what reply orange has given anyone else who has called to replace their handset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-10 07:13 AM
    My first Torch was Att. Totally sub-par. Wobbled around and creaked and rattles like a 20 year old Pontiac.
    My second one is a Rogers one and it's like a completely different phone. No problems--physical or otherwise.

10-21-10 07:22 AM
    For what its worth. I have my Torch in one of the AGF hard cases and that "fixed" the wobble problem. You do have to accept that it is a bit bulkier, but its a great case and like I said, once I put my Torch into it, wobble went away...
    10-21-10 07:26 AM
    I will be calling orange later as mine wobbles a bit now and clacks as I type with the screen closed and it didn't do this in day 1 so I can only see this getting worse

10-21-10 07:39 AM
    To add;

I spoke to O2 UK this morning about the wobble on my (3rd) device.

The rep was very helpful and, after a quick conversation with a couple of his collegues, has e-mailed a couple of people in O2 who are in contact with RIM. He didn't replace my device and told me to just keep using it unless it becomes un-usable and then they will replace it. He will 'phone me back in the next couple of days once he has had a reply.Good progress I feel, and it looks like (the UK ones at least) are taking this seriously.

Sounds to me like someone in customer services gave you the old "I'll tell him this to get him off the phone and not have to replace his handset again." ploy customer service uses to ease your piece of mind even though nothing is going to happen. Even if RIM recognizes the problem do you actually think all of us that have already bought a torch and are over our 30 day return policy, that RIM will just replace all these models that are already out there? I believe you are kidding yourself. It's a numbers game. Just look at the recent problems with Remington Arms(knew they had a defective gun for the last 70 years and all they had to do to fix the issue was replace a trigger for an additional cost of .05$, at the onset of manufacturing (now the estimate is around 22 mill to fix them), but that costs too much). It's all about cost. I would hope that future models will be fixed but i highly doubt anything will happen to models already manufactured.
    If RIM and 02 come to some agreement to fix those handsets already out in the market place then I applaud them, but I highly doubt anything will until hardware version 2 comes out.
    10-21-10 07:47 AM
    My AT&T set feels solidly built..
    10-21-10 08:09 AM
    Really? You're happy with a sub-standard 500 device?!

Anyway there's another thread on here suggesting that (very likely) it's the slider sub-assembly rather than the 6 mounting screws that are the problem, in many cases all that tightening those screws will do is void your' warranty. Some have found that tightening has helped, but not all.

The use of a partial plastic slider was IMHO a bad call on RIMS part.
    I never said the word happy at all - but then again I'd hardly call the phone sub-standard... so it has a bit of screen wobble, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things really.

If it was so loose that the slider dropped open if I held the phone upside down then yeah, fair play - but as it is, we're talking almost impercievable leves of movement and really 500 isn't what most people will have paid for the device, I paid 45 for mine, plus my monthly line rental etc (which would have been paid anyway, had I had the BB or not).

Also, Vodafone are a bit of an arseache to take stuff back to, and I really can't be chewed with the hassle of traipsing to the vodafone shop, have their staff umm and ahh about if it's a warranty return, or if it's a wear and tear related fault, or what stage the planets are aligned so that they can appease the warranty gods etc... If it makes calls, sends txts and bbms - I'm a chuffed pup. Therefore, I am currently a chuffed pup

Some people appear to have got sucky devices, and that's the unfortunate result when you pay people 50p an hour to make them, so to those I sympathise, but honestly < 1mm of movement on a slider is so far the other way from sub standard, it's stupid!

Also, I gave up worrying about warranties on phones for the exact same reasons as above - warranty schmarranty, where's my T6 screwdrivers!!!
    10-21-10 11:23 AM
    [QUOTE=homer1475;5697371]Sounds to me like someone in customer services gave you the old "I'll tell him this to get him off the phone and not have to replace his handset again." ploy customer service uses to ease your piece of mind even though nothing is going to happen.QUOTE]

Possibly true, but it's never a problem I've had in 8 years with O2, besides doing so would do nothing for them. Fobbing buisness customers off will quickly and dramatically reduce their customer base, buisness customers often prop up the cheaper consumer deals lower down the line.

[QUOTE=homer1475;5697371]Even if RIM recognizes the problem do you actually think all of us that have already bought a torch and are over our 30 day return policy, that RIM will just replace all these models that are already out there? I believe you are kidding yourself.QUOTE]

I don't know about where you are but in the UK it's nothing to do with 30 days despite what they say. The Sale of Goods Act says that you have 6 months after purchase during which time any faults are the Sellers (Not manufacturers0 responsibility and if you, the consumer wish may have the item replaced, fixed or refunded. This applies to buisnesses in the UK as well unless there is a contract in place to the contrary. Those that belive they have a case should contact their SP as soon as possible and let them know you don't think the device is right.

To those that say putting a case on solves the problem, that's quite frankly bordering on the stupid, you shouldn't have to fix (and in this case spend more) a problem on ANY brand new item.

Also as a quick note; O2's systems are saying nothing official about this at the moment unlike Oranges apparantly are but I feel it's a step towards it.
    Last edited by Ian G; 10-21-10 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Addition
    10-21-10 11:45 AM
    I think a better and certainly less misleading title for this thread would be "Orange UK Customer Service Rep Claims RIM Acknowledges Build Issues."
    10-21-10 12:27 PM
    Its not just one employee as I called today and got told them same, took my details, filled in a RIM diagnostics questionnaire and I will be getting a call of a RIM employee tomorrow to update me on the situation

10-21-10 05:39 PM
    Just called Rogers and the rep told me that there's nothing on the system about the issue.

For those that have a "solid" Torch, does it not move around or clack at all when the slider is open and you're using the touch screen?
    10-21-10 05:52 PM
    Its not just one employee as I called today and got told them same, took my details, filled in a RIM diagnostics questionnaire and I will be getting a call of a RIM employee tomorrow to update me on the situation
    Well that makes me a bit more confident that the rep wasn't just tryin to fob me off if you have been told the same thing.

Keep us imformed if/when you get your callback from RIM/Orange.
    10-22-10 05:05 AM
    Just called Rogers and the rep told me that there's nothing on the system about the issue.

For those that have a "solid" Torch, does it not move around or clack at all when the slider is open and you're using the touch screen?
    The 2nd one I had did. The first and newest one I have does not. The first one just had a bad menu button. This one seems fine other than the keys appear to be spaced more apart and not as clicky but that's it, I'm sticking this one out unless something goes majorly wrong. The 2nd one's slider was wobbly, creaked when you were typing on it closed and the trackpad was sqeaky. After having the first and now this one, I know it wasn't right.

10-22-10 08:24 AM
    I called Orange about my loose torch slider on 15th October and was also told that they are in discussion with RIM and acknowledged it as a design fault that is being investigated.

They also said that they will replace it free of charge within the first 6 months so I can wait and see if the issue is resolved, or I can change my deal within the first 28 days and that they would ring me back before that period expires to update me on the situation. I turned down an instant replacement as there is no guarantee at the moment that I won't get a worse handset.

They also filled in a RIM questionnaire about the fault etc.

I can't complain about the response from Orange, but I hope RIM hurry up and address the problem so I can get a decent replacement. Apart from the wobble, I'm very happy with the phone!
    10-22-10 11:54 AM
    I called Orange about my loose torch slider on 15th October and was also told that they are in discussion with RIM and acknowledged it as a design fault that is being investigated.

They also said that they will replace it free of charge within the first 6 months so I can wait and see if the issue is resolved, or I can change my deal within the first 28 days and that they would ring me back before that period expires to update me on the situation. I turned down an instant replacement as there is no guarantee at the moment that I won't get a worse handset.

They also filled in a RIM questionnaire about the fault etc.

I can't complain about the response from Orange, but I hope RIM hurry up and address the problem so I can get a decent replacement. Apart from the wobble, I'm very happy with the phone!
    I'd say that this is a satisfactory responce from RIM/Orange, worse case we should get a brand new handset 6mths down the line by which time hopefully the little niggles would have been ironed out of the devise. They didn't mention about the 6mth replacement when I spoke to orange just that would replace if the handset should become worse, but I will get this logged on my account when I speak to them next.

10-22-10 12:44 PM
    this seems like the most relevant thread to bump in regards to the wobble on my 9800, its from Phones4u, and seeing as i was on day 27 of the 28 day exchange period, I went in and tried three of thier other brand new Torches and the wobble was even worse than mine so I stuck with mine, what a nightmare. They said head office would not allow a second device swap, especially after we all sat there and agreed they all wobbled, but they would not say it was a fault, just that it was standard. Annoying, but still, they said the device has a 1 year warranty against faults and another year from RIM direct, is this true? Has anyone got their phone repaired through RIM directly?
    Cheers
    10-25-10 08:49 AM
    this seems like the most relevant thread to bump in regards to the wobble on my 9800, its from Phones4u, and seeing as i was on day 27 of the 28 day exchange period, I went in and tried three of thier other brand new Torches and the wobble was even worse than mine so I stuck with mine, what a nightmare. They said head office would not allow a second device swap, especially after we all sat there and agreed they all wobbled, but they would not say it was a fault, just that it was standard. Annoying, but still, they said the device has a 1 year warranty against faults and another year from RIM direct, is this true? Has anyone got their phone repaired through RIM directly?
    Cheers
    It's a 1 year warranty in total. It's a manufacturers warranty, but you make claims through your carrier. The only way it would be a longer warranty period is if you purchased an extended warranty.

10-25-10 10:37 AM
    Thanks for the info I think a year will be good, my wobble hasn't got any worse over the past two weeks so hopefully it will stay as it is, and if not I will pursue that angle
    10-25-10 10:41 AM
    I am calling rogers tonight to see about my loose slider as well

If I was to send you my email would you mind letting me know what they say about it? My slider is somewhat loose when opened and I want to know if they'll actually do anything about it and how the process goes. I don't want to have to go weeks without a phone or with some ****ty replacement they give me waiting for my torch to come back.

10-25-10 01:58 PM
    Wow! I feel like I really got lucky. I am not having even the most minor of issues with my Torch. The skider is solid with absolutely no wobble. Everything works as it should. I was a bit skeptical when I first upgraded from my 9700, but the more I use the Torch, the more I like it.
    Did I say "skider?" I meant slider.
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD