Hi,

So i got my much anticipated Torch delivered a few days ago and immediately noticed the slider wobble, thought i could live with it but the "clacking" when using the touchscreen was driving me crazy.

also noticed some light seeping out from between the bottom of the screen & call/menu keys, not sure what this problem is looks like the sticker part over the buttons is not seated correctly but the buttons work ok??

So i called my network provider ( Orange UK ) to arrange a new replacement and was advised of the following:

The customer service guy took all of the details and tried to arrange a replacement but there computer system would not allow as "RIM has officially acknowledged both of my problems". The agent read what notes he had onscreen which basically says that no replacement handsets were being issued but RIM are investigating and as soon as the built quality issues have been resolved i will get one of the new batch of handsets.

So my issues have been logged with Orange & RIM and i will be contacted as soon as RIM have resolved the problems, in the meantime continue with the handset and if things should get worse they will temporary exchange the handset.

So whats your thoughts?
    10-20-10 02:01 PM
    I am calling rogers tonight to see about my loose slider as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-10 02:03 PM
    non sense.
    10-20-10 02:05 PM
    Well it's good they're addressing these issues..and not telling people "You're sliding it wrong". It's obvious there have been some quality control issues and hopefully these things get dealt with quickly.
    10-20-10 02:08 PM
    non sense.
    may well be "non sense" but this is what my carrier has advised, and the cust service guy had to fill in a RIM questionaire of the problems which will be forwarded to RIM so that they can "establish the extent of the problem "
    10-20-10 02:09 PM
    Well it's good they're addressing these issues..and not telling people "You're sliding it wrong". It's obvious there have been some quality control issues and hopefully these things get dealt with quickly.
    I did mention to the guy that it sounds like a bit of a fob off and could take ages for them to resolve, but he thought that RIM was pretty good once they have confirmed issues.
    10-20-10 02:11 PM
    Mine wobbles so little that I don't really care. But I just ordered a replacement because my trackpad is very unresponsive. Hopeuflly the replacement has a sturdier slider. Or more importantly, hopefully it isn't worse!

10-20-10 02:19 PM
    That is, as far as I'm concerned, great news. I'm on Torch No.3 and ALL have had sideways movement of the slider from the get-go, at first I thought I could live with it but it started getting more noticable and so my suspicions as to the longevity of the handset started to grow.

The movement's not been massive (ranging from a couple to 5mm) but on a device this pricey I don't think there should be any, the c.r.a.p about it being a slider is b0ll0cks as I use 3 year old Sony Erricsons and they don't wobble.

Gonna call o2 again tomorrow.
    10-20-10 02:21 PM
    I hope this is true and that something is done. I went through three 9800s before I finally gave up with all of the hardware issues I was having (my boss still has the one he got on launch day....the screen, literally, rattles when you pick up the phone). I want to go back to Blackberry, but the phone cannot be a POS. Hope they get the kinks worked out.
    10-20-10 02:40 PM
    Not much you can do if you get one for work unless the IT group checks the device for you first. However, if you get one for personal use and don't test it before you leave the store, you have no one to blame but yourself. RIM is most likely acutely aware of the more common issues especially those in this forum. How they will react is anyone's guess.
    10-20-10 02:46 PM
    However, if you get one for personal use and don't test it before you leave the store,
    Didn't get mine in store, wish i had though, but got a better upgrade deal by calling my network provider direct and waiting a few days for delivery.
    10-20-10 02:52 PM
    if you get one for personal use and don't test it before you leave the store, you have no one to blame but yourself. RIM is most likely acutely aware of the more common issues especially those in this forum. How they will react is anyone's guess.
    Mine were all ordered through the O2 phone service so there is no way to check them before they arrive.

The point is that according to the OP RIM are taking positive action and stopping faulty handsets going out. This is the sort of action that I, for one, expect from a company pedaling top end products. If it is indeed true good on RIM.
    10-20-10 02:54 PM
    Somebody wanna check if att is apart of this deal?

10-20-10 02:56 PM
    RIM is in business to make a profit and sometimes that means assembling their product in country where labor costs are cheaper such as Mexico or Hungary rather than Canada. I totally agree that RIM should be more vigilant on the quality front. I would never order a smartphone and have it shipped unless it was a warranty exchange or insurance claim situation. I also can understand if that is the only way for some to purchase the phone. When I was in London this past summer, I saw numerous O2 stores especially in central London. There are going to be the odd device that may unfortunately land in a customer's hands but at the end of the day, the buyer needs to take ownership and work with the carrier and/or RIM. Holding RIM solely accountable is not realistic, IMO.
    10-20-10 03:11 PM
    Firstly basing you assumptions as to O2 UK's store allocation on London is somewhat short sighted, not everyone in the UK lives in London. Yes there are lots but many of us work during the times these stores are open. Secondly I hold a buisness acount for a single handset and quite frankly O2's stores buisness knowledge is shocking, their 'phone support is amazing.

Holding RIM soley to account is not something that I'm doing, you're right that it's not realistic, also in the UK (I don't know about the US) it's not legally correct, here it is the seller who is responsible for device quatlity and servicability. It does however help that RIM, who ultimately O2, or any other carrier, pass warranty or reject claims back to, have admitted and are working towards addressing this problem. Yes it's more than likely a PR exercise after seeing the fall out from Apples Anntena-gate.
    10-20-10 03:24 PM
    The key difference is that Apple would not have told their owners and tried to blame RIM.

I know that all UK citizens don't live in London and only work there and elsewhere throughout the UK. I guess that, from a Yank's perspective and lack of knowledge of English consumer law, I tend to adopt personal reliance and responsibility. Store personnel are sometimes not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The device quality would probably improve if they could be manufactured in Waterloo where more control is possible but cost of production and the country with the least expensive labor makes it less likely that quality is under the seller's control. The seller should however do what is reasonable to make the customer happy.
    10-20-10 03:54 PM
    Strange thing is that a couple of weeks ago i got a torch from here in the UK, brand new unlocked ie sim free no network branding etc.

Anyhow i had a few build issues with it ie the slider wobbled around a bit too much and their was light leaking from the red end call button.

So i rung the place up and they said just return it to us for a replacement and asked if i wanted the new one checked to which i said yes. They emailed me a few days later telling me that yes it wobbled too much and their was light leaking from the red end call key...so they said they would replace it and check the replacement and try and find me a better built one.

Now obviously mine must have come from an early batch because i just received my new torch yesterday and yes its better built ie no leaking of light or slider wobble...well there is but is minute compared to the first one i had...now one thing i noticed is that on the back of the phone where the camera lens and flash is...there isnt the torch label there ie it should say torch but mine doesnt...i rung the place where i bought it from and queried it and they said they didnt know but the guy went and got a couple more out from the back...checked them and said none of the ones he has in his hands have the torch wording on the back.

So i think the new batches coming out, RIM have taken off the torch label from the back...i did ask if my replacement was a refurb or something but the guy told me it most definitely wasnt and if i wanted i could send the one i have back but he said none of the torches he has in stock have that label on the back.

Suffice to say i politely declined as i dont want to take the chance that the next one might be worse build wise.

So kind of interesting if RIM are fixing the build issues buit at the same time taking off the torch label on the back.
    10-20-10 04:11 PM
    ^I'm pretty sure it was only the AT&T models that had the TORCH branded on the back. All the Canadian carrier's were released with models that simply said 5.0 Megapixel.
    10-20-10 04:22 PM
    Personally, imho it makes the phone look a bit tacky with a dirty great TORCH on the back, the 5.0mp badging looks a bit more subtle.

My 9800 has a little tiny wiggle, but it's nothing I can't live with - if it gets too bad, then there's the 6 screw tighten trick so it's no great shakes - yeah it shouldn't happen on a �400 device but taking phones back to carriers is a complete pain in the backside as they nearly always want to "send it away for service" - I'd rather fix it myself, I've got enough phones if I knack it up, but I've also got enough experience of small scale electronics so as to be pretty confident with tightening six screws!!
    10-20-10 04:34 PM
    I'd rather fix it myself, I've got enough phones if I knack it up, but I've also got enough experience of small scale electronics so as to be pretty confident with tightening six screws!!
    Really? You're happy with a sub-standard �500 device?!

Anyway there's another thread on here suggesting that (very likely) it's the slider sub-assembly rather than the 6 mounting screws that are the problem, in many cases all that tightening those screws will do is void your' warranty. Some have found that tightening has helped, but not all.

The use of a partial plastic slider was IMHO a bad call on RIMS part.
    Last edited by Ian G; 10-20-10 at 05:10 PM. Reason: SPaG
    10-20-10 05:08 PM
    AT&T Torch is branded on the back.
    10-20-10 05:34 PM
    Hi,

So i got my much anticipated Torch delivered a few days ago and immediately noticed the slider wobble, thought i could live with it but the "clacking" when using the touchscreen was driving me crazy.

also noticed some light seeping out from between the bottom of the screen & call/menu keys, not sure what this problem is looks like the sticker part over the buttons is not seated correctly but the buttons work ok??

So i called my network provider ( Orange UK ) to arrange a new replacement and was advised of the following:

The customer service guy took all of the details and tried to arrange a replacement but there computer system would not allow as "RIM has officially acknowledged both of my problems". The agent read what notes he had onscreen which basically says that no replacement handsets were being issued but RIM are investigating and as soon as the built quality issues have been resolved i will get one of the new batch of handsets.

So my issues have been logged with Orange & RIM and i will be contacted as soon as RIM have resolved the problems, in the meantime continue with the handset and if things should get worse they will temporary exchange the handset.

So whats your thoughts?
    Same issue. My first Torch wobbled. Not the day of purchase, but, noticable two days later. No drops. So, no errors on my part. Not talking about a slight wobble. This was very noticeable. Replaced it. Blackberry made in Canada- which was replaced for a non responsive trackpad. The second replacement was made in Hungary. BTW, the last three of my eight Blackberries were purchased at the store and I "always" ask to see several Blackberries to check out the quality of the build prior to purchase. I started this with my original BOLD. Is that the norm? No. But, I know the store manager. So, each of my new or replacement Blackberries were manufactered in either in Canada, Hungary, or Mexico that have documented (er, acknowledged) issues by RIM and in the forums. IMHO, Quality Control has always been an issue due to mass production and well documented in the rants/complaints on any forum. Deadlines, and profits are always at the forefront for any company. Lol. I also use my Blackberries for work, personal business, leisure. Do I hold RIM accountable for it's product? Sure. Same as I would any other company that sells a product I purchase- online or at the store. Whether a consumer catches every flaw by conducting a 20-Step Blackberry Inspection at the time of purchase is irrelevant.
    10-20-10 06:17 PM
    ^I'm pretty sure it was only the AT&T models that had the TORCH branded on the back. All the Canadian carrier's were released with models that simply said 5.0 Megapixel.
    Hmm interesting but I definitely had the torch branding on the back...and I know for sure that it wasn't an AT&T torch...it was unbranded etc plus the labels on the packaging said it was a european QWERTY model.

Anyhow its no big deal as this new replacement is near enough perfect.

10-20-10 06:18 PM
    I must be awfully lucky. I have no issues with my Torch. It's very solid. Not even a hint of a wobble in the slider. I'm very satisfied with it.
    10-20-10 10:29 PM
    Anyone else call up their carrier or call RIM to see what they say? I just got a Torch and when the slider is open, it does wobble from side to side and clacks up and down. There's also a bit of light leakage at the bottom of the keyboard, where it meets the lip.

I have an InvisibleSHIELD on the way, so there's no sense in installing it if RIM is going to be remedying the situation by replacing units. I can't really be bothered going back to the store and trying to find a better unit (I've played that game before with my MBP, only to end up with a worse unit and some very disgruntled Apple employees).

I'll be calling Roger tomorrow...
    10-20-10 11:14 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD