08-03-10 05:01 PM
35 12
tools
    So I was eyeing the 9800 and it looks better with each new info that has been released. Then I found out the screen resolution will only be 480x320, which is the same as most high end BBs out today. Are you kidding me? The screen size is almost twice as big as the current trackpad devices yet they decided stretch out the resolution. That means it will not look as sharp as the 480x320 screens of the non-touch devices. Why they didn't keep the aspect ratio the same?

This is what I was worried about so I'm pretty bummed out by this. Android and Iphone go beyond 800x400 and there's no reason for RIM's hardware to be stuck in the past. I don't mind their outdated OS as long as they keep their hardware up to date, but I guess that's too much to ask out of RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 12:00 PM
    Two words: battery life
    08-03-10 12:03 PM
    I don't see as it's going to be an issue. Besides, they get power savings and a cost decrease with a lower resolution screen and use less CPU cycles to refresh it.
    08-03-10 12:04 PM
    153600 pixels of goodness. But you want more.
    08-03-10 12:08 PM
    Well get a better battery for it. This was sapposed to be their flagship device to help them compete with the more flashy Android/iPhone Market but I think they blew it with the mediocre screen resolution. No way I'm going from a sharp screen to a blurry one regardless of screen size.

08-03-10 12:23 PM
    OMG. Stop belly aching already. Either like it, or don't Simple as that. Geeze
    08-03-10 12:31 PM
    It sounds like you are making the right choice based on what you want. I would rather have a longer battery life and a 480 x 360 screen resolution. In my opinion that is a good enough resolution but if you want something more and don't care about the battery life as much then there are phones made for that.
    08-03-10 12:31 PM
    OMG. Stop belly aching already. Either like it, or don't Simple as that. Geeze

I agree
    08-03-10 12:36 PM
    Well get a better battery for it. This was sapposed to be their flagship device to help them compete with the more flashy Android/iPhone Market but I think they blew it with the mediocre screen resolution. No way I'm going from a sharp screen to a blurry one regardless of screen size.

So how's that battery working for you on the HTC Hero?
    08-03-10 12:39 PM
    If you look at the release data the resolution is actually 360x480 not 320x480 so it has the same resolution as the Tour Bold 9700 and 9650 and Curve 8900
    08-03-10 12:44 PM
    lmao @ "blurry screen"... Wow...
    08-03-10 12:45 PM
    So I was eyeing the 9800 and it looks better with each new info that has been released. Then I found out the screen resolution will only be 480x320, which is the same as most high end BBs out today. Are you kidding me? The screen size is almost twice as big as the current trackpad devices yet they decided stretch out the resolution. That means it will not look as sharp as the 480x320 screens of the non-touch devices. Why they didn't keep the aspect ratio the same?

This is what I was worried about so I'm pretty bummed out by this. Android and Iphone go beyond 800x400 and there's no reason for RIM's hardware to be stuck in the past. I don't mind their outdated OS as long as they keep their hardware up to date, but I guess that's too much to ask out of RIM.

I'm less concerned with the resolution than the small size. After all, I was initially interested in a Palm Pre...until I saw one on launch day. The screen is just too frickin' SMALL. My Storm's screen is "ok", but I'd like a 3.8" or bigger, if I had my druthers. Resolution, as touted by Apple with their I4 doesn't impress me as much as screen size, contrast and brightness, which is something BB phones have over the competition.
    08-03-10 12:48 PM

"blurry"? as in "not focused"? LOL! the Torch won't look "BLURRY"!!
    08-03-10 12:50 PM

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Like Brando said it's the same as Tour/Bold and Curve 8900, none of which are blurry.

I'm sure RIM will close up shop because you think they blew it.

edit: same resolution as Storm2 which definitely isn't blurry
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-03-10 at 01:01 PM.
    08-03-10 12:57 PM
    i think most people accepted the idea of charging every night.. or every 12 hours..
    and to have the brightest and most blinding display as the sole criterion for a good phone..
    heck who cares if it will drop a call.. a long as it's shiny and bright!

then there's me.
    08-03-10 12:58 PM
    I have to correct myself. It does have the same screen resolution as the newer tour/bold/curve. But those devices still have sharper screen b/c its smaller. Alright, its not blurry but definitely not as sharp as the tour/bold/curve with the same resolution.

08-03-10 01:11 PM
    It sounds like you are making the right choice based on what you want. I would rather have a longer battery life and a 480 x 360 screen resolution. In my opinion that is a good enough resolution but if you want something more and don't care about the battery life as much then there are phones made for that.
    +1 to that. I believe most of us Blackberry users prefer our long battery life and a pretty good screen quality.
    08-03-10 01:15 PM
    Plus the torch has a HVGA+ display....
    08-03-10 01:16 PM
    If you look at the release data the resolution is actually 360x480 not 320x480 so it has the same resolution as the Tour Bold 9700 and 9650 and Curve 8900
    Basically the same thing.
    08-03-10 01:17 PM
    Moved to BB Torch 9800 Forum!
    08-03-10 01:17 PM
    I have to correct myself. It does have the same screen resolution as the newer tour/bold/curve. But those devices still have sharper screen b/c its smaller. Alright, its not blurry but definitely not as sharp as the tour/bold/curve with the same resolution.

Question?

Have you actually held the 9800 in your hand to validate your opinion?
    08-03-10 01:21 PM
    Two words: battery life
    It's cool that my 9700 can go almost 2 days without needing a charge but I would settle for 1 day battery life plus a high res. screen
    08-03-10 01:25 PM
    Question?

Have you actually held the 9800 in your hand to validate your opinion?
    +1... hehe. Too funny.
    08-03-10 01:27 PM
    By the way I have a Tour and love the sharpness of the screen. Its amazing being able to fit 480x360 on a 2.5. But to expand that resolution to the size of the 9800, it will never be as sharp as the Tour. I don't think pixel count drain the battery as much as contrast/brightness adjustment which I have it on low on all phone I used.

Its simple math if you know what aspect ratio means and can apply it to screen resolution of different size. I don't need to hold it unless there's something we don't about the pixel specs.

Last edited by noized77; 08-03-10 at 01:35 PM.
    08-03-10 01:27 PM
    Everything I've read shows 480x360... not 480x320.
    08-03-10 01:33 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD