Hi all. Prepare ye as I insult your collective intelligence by asking the dumbest question imaginable. I'm sure it's been asked and answered a million times, but I just can't find the right keywords to search for.

So, I have an old 9800 which I've fallen in love with (something about that slide up screen lol). I'd really like to find out if I can get it to work as a regular cell phone again.

To that end, it was originally provisioned on a Blackberry network, so it will need disassociating with a corporate network before I can even try. the question here is - is it possible?

I deserve any and all abuse for asking such a brain-dead question, but would very much like an answer if possible.

Thanks all!
    12-08-20 03:40 PM
    Hi all. Prepare ye as I insult your collective intelligence by asking the dumbest question imaginable. I'm sure it's been asked and answered a million times, but I just can't find the right keywords to search for.

So, I have an old 9800 which I've fallen in love with (something about that slide up screen lol). I'd really like to find out if I can get it to work as a regular cell phone again.

To that end, it was originally provisioned on a Blackberry network, so it will need disassociating with a corporate network before I can even try. the question here is - is it possible?

I deserve any and all abuse for asking such a brain-dead question, but would very much like an answer if possible.

Thanks all!
    You'll have to find a carrier that still offers a BIS plan. You'll also have to deal with the fact that 3G is being discontinued next year (which it needs to make calls). BlackBerry is also shutting down the backend services that the 9800 requires at the end of next year.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-08-20 07:29 PM

Thanks all!
    BlackBerry Network is a requirement for an old BlackBerry - needed for activation and BBID.
    BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is "almost" a must... see The Bold Explorer
    IT Policy installed by "cooperate" might need to be removed. https://forums.crackberry.com/deskto...anager-693936/

But it really depends on where you are in the world... in the USA, might as well forget it as activation of 3G only devices isn't really possible anymore. Other markets like UK might still be possible, but BIS is becoming vary rare.
    12-09-20 10:16 AM