like the title says, at&t is selling refurbished 9800's online now. $69.99
    11-29-10 02:32 AM
    Yeah!! I work for AT&T most of the phones are brand new, the resaon that they are refurbished is becasue they fix teh woble problem that was int eh screen.
    11-29-10 11:43 AM
    Yeah!! I work for AT&T most of the phones are brand new, the resaon that they are refurbished is becasue they fix teh woble problem that was int eh screen.
    How do they fix them?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 12:27 PM
    Piece of tape on the back side of the screen.
    11-29-10 12:46 PM
    I've heard conflicting stories on how this works- Do you have to extend your contract to purchase a refurb phone or can you just buy the phone outright?

Also, I've heard that in-store deals are different that whats available online?

Can anyone who has gone thru a refurb purchase or someone who works for AT&T care to elaborate?
    11-29-10 01:13 PM
    Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month. 2 year contract & new activation required.

This is from their site.

Over the weekend they were selling them $.01. but now back up.
    11-29-10 01:19 PM
    Got mine new from Amazon just over a week ago for $.01. I still recommend that deal assuming it's still going on.
    11-29-10 01:27 PM
    Got mine new from Amazon just over a week ago for $.01. I still recommend that deal assuming it's still going on.

Amazon still has it.

List Price:
    $ 649.99
    Price:

$ 0.01

Purchase a new AT&T BlackBerry device and receive an activation-fee credit for up to $36 for each qualifying line of service activated on an upgrade or new 2-year individual account purchased from AmazonWireless between 12 midnight PDT November 23, 2010, through 11:59 p.m. PDT, November 29, 2010. This offer is sponsored by AT&T and is valid in the United States and Puerto Rico. Activation-fee credit will appear on your bill and may take several billing cycles to appear. Standard early-cancellation fee and other up-front and monthly charges and fees may apply.
    11-29-10 01:31 PM
    lol thats amazing
    11-29-10 01:37 PM
    I've heard conflicting stories on how this works- Do you have to extend your contract to purchase a refurb phone or can you just buy the phone outright?

Also, I've heard that in-store deals are different that whats available online?

Can anyone who has gone thru a refurb purchase or someone who works for AT&T care to elaborate?
    You can not purchase the phone outright. You can extend your contract and get teh refurbished phone at the cheaper price. You are also corect in store deals are always dif from the net becasue they soemtime have an exsses amount of phones that they can discount.

There was a fix with the wobble in teh screen, as far as tape being usned I dont thing that was the Fix, we were told that it was differnt type of material that was used in the slide system itself.
    Ghostnyc likes this.
    11-29-10 02:15 PM
    You can not purchase the phone outright. You can extend your contract and get teh refurbished phone at the cheaper price. You are also corect in store deals are always dif from the net becasue they soemtime have an exsses amount of phones that they can discount.

There was a fix with the wobble in teh screen, as far as tape being usned I dont thing that was the Fix, we were told that it was differnt type of material that was used in the slide system itself.
    Yeah, I assumed...or hoped, it was more than a taped fix. I'd like to hear more though, if anyone has other details about it. My slider is fine, but I read so many posts about the 'wobble' that I'm just interested what the official fix is.
    11-29-10 02:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification- I going to wait until QNX gets implemented or until my 9700 dies, which ever comes first.
    11-30-10 09:23 AM
    I can't believe what these phones are going for on ebay. I've seen as high as $750. That's just crazy.
    11-30-10 09:30 AM
    To not be locked into a contract, sure people will pay a lot for something.
    11-30-10 09:44 AM
    Yeah, but if you can buy it outright from AT&T with no contract for $500, how does that help you?

I'm thinking of getting the refurb. I originally wanted the Pearl 3G, but as AT&T refuses to price it below the Torch, I may just go for the Torch. I've stretched this old Pearl for about as long as I can.

I've always read that refurbs are usually pretty good deals, and that the phones are usually in better condition since they've been given a thorough going over by AT&T to make sure everything works. If the slider mechanism has actually been beefed up, that's a nice move.

Anything I should be concerned about regarding a refurbished model other than getting only a 90 day warranty as opposed to a full year? In my experience, if something electronic is going to break, it will likely happen within the first month anyway.

12-06-10 08:39 AM
    I'm thinking of getting one of the refurbs for my wife as she's due for a new phone. Does anyone know if you can get the insurance on the refurbs? That would somewhat make up for just the 90 day warranty.

12-06-10 03:30 PM
    Yeah, but if you can buy it outright from AT&T with no contract for $500, how does that help you?

I'm thinking of getting the refurb. I originally wanted the Pearl 3G, but as AT&T refuses to price it below the Torch, I may just go for the Torch. I've stretched this old Pearl for about as long as I can.

I've always read that refurbs are usually pretty good deals, and that the phones are usually in better condition since they've been given a thorough going over by AT&T to make sure everything works. If the slider mechanism has actually been beefed up, that's a nice move.

Anything I should be concerned about regarding a refurbished model other than getting only a 90 day warranty as opposed to a full year? In my experience, if something electronic is going to break, it will likely happen within the first month anyway.

Every refurb I have received for a few of my Blackberries (8310, 9000, and 9700) are still working.
    12-06-10 03:37 PM
    I just ordered one of these.

Its an online only deal according to my local store. Mine will arrive tomorrow.

It'll be my first Blackberry.

1 cent was hard to pass up.

I renewed my contract for another 2 years...

In my experience, if something electronic is going to break, it will likely happen within the first month anyway.
    I've heard a handful of people say this. I'd like to know what this belief is based on. Why would the first 30 days be the hardest? Especially on something that goes through the wear and tear that portable devices like phones do.
    12-09-10 05:21 PM
    I also just ordered a refurb for $.01. I've read all the good and bad about the torch and refurbs so I guess I'll see for myself. What have I got to lose...I only spent a penny. Plus if it turns out well I got a sweet upgrade from my ancient curve for practically nothing. To each their own.
    12-14-10 09:22 AM
    you guys do realize you can get a brand new one from amazon wireless for a penny also if you sign a new 2 year contract?
    12-14-10 09:25 AM
    You can get a new red, white or black Torch from Best Buy with either a new contract or a new 2 year upgrade. Online or in store.
    12-14-10 10:31 AM
    I've heard a refurb is just as good or sometimes better than new so I'm fine with it. I just saw att offered it so the day I could upgrade I went for it. I didn't see those adds until after I purchased...no biggy.
    12-14-10 12:46 PM
    I got a free white one from Best Buy. Best Buy has them free with qualified upgrade, new customer, or adding a line thru Dec 24th on all colors. Screw getting a refurbed phone that has only a 90 warranty.
    12-14-10 12:52 PM
    Since I always have insurance, the warranty doesn't mean much to me. Particularly since I know how the warranty thing works. 999 times out of 10 (yes, that's just how I intended to write that) they'll tell you that whatever is wrong with your phone is due to you, so the warranty doesn't apply.

Refurbs are great deals. I personally will not buy a phone from Best Buy, Amazon, Radio Shack, or any of the other discounters, simply because of the difficulties they create for the Customer Service types that work for the carriers. Usually I buy online from AT&T, once in a blue moon I'll go into a store to buy something.
    caslem likes this.
    12-14-10 01:05 PM
    I got my refurb from att as well for a penny..great deal...didnt see the other deals until after mine was already ordered. i love bbs!! ive had a 8300,9000,9700, now a torch !
    12-14-10 01:18 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD