So I've had my torch for a few days now. And the build is damn near perfect. The screen is solid, trackpad is perfect...the screen as no light drain from the side...but there is 1 small thing. My bacK button seems to be a little on the clicky side. It sometimes makes a audible click sound when pressed. Is this normal, should I exchange and risk getting one with a wonky screen? What do u think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 08:40 PM
    Correction...the sound occurs the moment I lift my finger from the key. Almost sounds like my finger is peeling off the key. Only happens on the back key

01-01-11 09:07 PM
    Correction...the sound occurs the moment I lift my finger from the key. Almost sounds like my finger is peeling off the key. Only happens on the back key

My guess is you have the beginning of the adhesive problem on the button panel. It's an issue that's been discussed here on the forum many times. I don't know your provider's return policy but if it's a short one, I'd return it or at the least go back and check another couple of 9800's and swap if necessary.

My first one started doing that and then the whole button panel lifted off. I'm on ATT and was within my 30 days, so I swapped it out.
    01-01-11 09:26 PM
    Ok thanks for clearing that with me. I will be going to rogers tomorrow to get another one. Is there a way to check for it at the store? Or does the issue only become apparent after being used?

01-01-11 09:28 PM
    ya mine too! on the call/bb side is higher and shows a gap..got it thru best buy just before xmas. wonder if they would swap it out? i do have a protection plan, not sure if covered or not...

add me if you like 2378fa59
    01-01-11 10:28 PM
    Ok thanks for clearing that with me. I will be going to rogers tomorrow to get another one. Is there a way to check for it at the store? Or does the issue only become apparent after being used?

On my first one it started happening after about two weeks of use. I really don't think you can tell right off unless the panel is visibly lifting or noisy right off the bat.

On my current 9800 a "slight" clicking sound can be heard when pressing the buttons. After all you are actually pressing against a small contact under that panel. However that being said, the panel should not feel like it's lifting off when you release your finger.

Look at the top edge of the panel where it meets the bottom of the screen. Does it look flat and level with the bottom of the screen? No light leakage at the top edge? Hold the phone face up with the button side slanting down and take a look at the whole panel when you press each of the buttons. It should gently flex when you depress the button and return to the flat position. It should not bow up along the top edge or raise up at either end. The trackpad is separate from the panel so some movement around there is normal.

If you see light leakage or the panel ends lifting, you probably have a problem with the adhesive and should have it checked or replaced.

On my first one, after two weeks I could actually see the panel bowing up when I used the buttons. It ended up coming off completely.
    01-01-11 10:31 PM
    While this may or may not help, I thought I'd put it up anyway, My Torch has a bit of a "click" or a "sticking" sound when I let off the button panel even if I don't actually depress a button all the way down.

I took a picture of what my button panel looks like, It's completely flush and flat (even when depressed lightly, or fully to actually come in contact with the internals and cause the "click" action to occur.) and doesn't bow on either side even when depressed, and there is no light leakage from the top at all.

Taken with my 9700, not the best photo, and do mind that I have a screen film installed, but hopefully it may help a tiny bit.
    While I don't -think- I have anything to be concerned about, I may see if an exchange is appropriate next week.
    Last edited by xDAKx; 01-01-11 at 10:48 PM.
    01-01-11 10:45 PM
    xDAKx

To me that looks like how I think a normal panel should look. Nice and flat with no leakage. If that one was mine and had no other issues, I'd be inclined to keep it.

On my first one (Mexico 4 build) the panel felt sticky after a few days and two weeks later when it went bad you could see my panel lifting at one end. It was visibly higher than the bottom of the screen and leaked light. One day it came completely off. I stuck it back on and pressed it down but it came off again the next day. That's when I exchanged it.

My current one (Mexico 5 build) has a slight wrinkle in the panel just above the upper right corner of the trackpad. I didn't notice it when I did the exchange because it's very small. So far it's remained the same and no issues so I'm not too worried about it. If it gets worse I'll just do a warranty through AT&T.

I think there are a few things RIM could have done better with the Torch and the adhesive button panel is one of them. There are enough users here posting up about panel issues to tell me that RIM must have had a bad batch of adhesive that went out on units. My friend who works for AT&T where I get all my phones from told me that AT&T is aware of the panel issue and the loose sliders too.
    01-01-11 11:28 PM
    See here's where I'm worried. Other than the feeling that the pannel is going to lift off, my torch is solid, no light leakage, warping of pannels etc...would u guys still exchange it?

01-02-11 06:51 AM
    I've had the "clicking" sound when pressing the panel buttons since day 1 with my torch. I believe its just a matter of the glue(or double stick tape, whatever was used to hold that panel down) has become unstuck on the buttons itself, repeated pressing would cause this. Nothing to worry about if the rest of the panel is solid and stuck down. If the rest of the panel is held down with no light leakage, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, like I said mine has done this since day 1, some days it's worse then others but it has never started to peel or lift off the panel. Of course I don't go picking at it either to try and see if it will lift off. I think some people who have had them peel off, hear the clicking or see a bit of light leakage and if you know people at all they will start to pick at it cause its annoying, hence the panel ends up peeling off. I'm not saying this is the reason for all them happening, but probably for some.
    Last edited by homer1475; 01-02-11 at 07:15 AM.
    01-02-11 07:13 AM
    It seems that a majority of the people with this panel issue have phones built in Mexico?

01-02-11 11:13 AM
    It seems that a majority of the people with this panel issue have phones built in Mexico?

I have a Canada 1 with a similar issue at the upper right hand corner of BlackBerry menu button that is adjacent to left upper corner of the trackpad.
    Last edited by onemanarmy; 01-07-11 at 03:44 PM.
    01-07-11 03:34 PM
    I have a Canada 1 with a similar issue at the upper right hand corner of BlackBerry menu button and left upper corner to the trackpad.
    First time I've heard of a Canada build with this problem. Now I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue with the Torch regardless of country of origin?

Keep a close eye on that panel.
    01-07-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD