Is there a way to show who an incoming text is from on the screen when you have it locked? Like when someone calls the phone will display who its from. I wondered if there was an option to set that for incoming texts as well.
    12-16-10 11:04 AM
    When locked your phone is just that.

If it was a sensitive material text, would you want everyone to see who or what the text was?
    Just think if your phone was stolen, if it showed who everything was from when locked what would be the point in locking the device?
    12-16-10 11:09 AM
    When locked your phone is just that.

If it was a sensitive material text, would you want everyone to see who or what the text was?
    Just think if your phone was stolen, if it showed who everything was from when locked what would be the point in locking the device?
    I guess I should clarify. I didn't mean when it's locked, just when the screen is locked so u don't accidently do something on the touch screen when your phone is in your pocket or something. I don't mean when your phone is locked. Unless we are talking about the same thing, but it doesn't sound like it. All u have to do is push the button on top to unlock the screen, so not sure how having your phone stolen would keep people from seeing whats on your phone.
    12-16-10 11:28 AM
    I was referring to a password lock, which is what I had assumed you meant by lock.

Either way, to my knowledge other then a third party app/theme that has a hidden today screen, there is no way to view the sender of a text message other then going to the message itself or clicking the notification tab if using the stock theme.
    12-16-10 11:31 AM
    BePopup Free will do this.

it's available in AppWorld.

i know in the settings it only says email, but it works on texts, emails, and voicemails.
    12-16-10 11:49 AM
    Thank you for the info. I installed that app and it works, but I guess I was looking for something similar to the last cell phone I had which was the Samsung Propel. It had the same sort of set up with the sliding face and the buttons under the face. When you close it the keys lock so you don't accidently hit buttons. When someone text you or calls you it displays the persons name if you set that number to your phone. I don't need to see what the message says I would just like the info to pop up when the screen is in the locked position.
    Last edited by tbond22; 12-17-10 at 12:34 AM.
    12-16-10 04:42 PM
    That feature was removed in 4.5 or something staing security as a concern. Now you have to have a 3rd party app like you are using now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 07:54 PM
    That feature was removed in 4.5 or something staing security as a concern. Now you have to have a 3rd party app like you are using now.

Funny they would say it's a security issue when incoming calls display on the screen and show the phone # and name if they are in your contact list. I don't even want it to show the text message, just the person who sent it. Looks like all these apps cost money, but I don't want the feature that bad. Should be something included in the phone.
    12-17-10 12:36 AM
    Anyone know of any free apps that will display a text on a screen that is locked (meaning screen is black)?
    12-17-10 09:39 AM
    That's something I hated on my iPhone... that the name and the first line or so of the text message would populate on my screen or if someone sends a picture, a small preview picture pops up. I HATED that. I often keep my phone on my desk and hated that feature with iPhone. I didn't need my phone advertising a text from my husband or friends when I'm sitting with clients. Which is why I love BB so much, the LED light is perfect.
    12-17-10 10:12 AM
    Ya those nooner emails can catch ya off guard if your device is hooked up to a projector or something! LOL

Number one rule is no software will EVER please everyone.

12-17-10 11:46 AM
    ...I think Leave it on will do what the OP is looking for
    12-17-10 12:07 PM
    That's something I hated on my iPhone... that the name and the first line or so of the text message would populate on my screen or if someone sends a picture, a small preview picture pops up. I HATED that. I often keep my phone on my desk and hated that feature with iPhone. I didn't need my phone advertising a text from my husband or friends when I'm sitting with clients. Which is why I love BB so much, the LED light is perfect.
    So you are ok with the phone displaying a persons name and Phone # for a call, but not a text? I don't want the message to show, just what I programed in my contact list just like when a call comes in.
    12-18-10 12:02 AM
    ...I think Leave it on will do what the OP is looking for
    Thanks for the info, but even this one doesn't do what I am looking for. It shows the text, but you still have to hit the unlock button on the top. I want something that shows on the screen even when the screen is locked. Just like an incoming call does. Doesn't appear that exsist.
    12-18-10 09:06 AM
    And I don't think you will find an app that does that. BB would consider that a security breach.

12-18-10 09:40 AM
    I have BerryBuzz on my Torch and when someone sends me a text message, I get the tone that I set plus my LED light lights up in a color and pattern that I put in. So, if it flashes green, I know it's a text from my oldest son My screen can be locked and I know who the text is from just from the color of my LED.

Not sure if that will help you or not, but I really like it on my phone.
    12-18-10 10:57 AM
    And I don't think you will find an app that does that. BB would consider that a security breach.

I guess this will be my last post talking about this, but it can't be a security breach if it's not when your phone rings. This phone displays the phone number when someone calls you, but not on a text. There is no difference, again I am not looking for the actual text to show, just who it is from.
    12-19-10 12:41 AM
    I have BerryBuzz on my Torch and when someone sends me a text message, I get the tone that I set plus my LED light lights up in a color and pattern that I put in. So, if it flashes green, I know it's a text from my oldest son My screen can be locked and I know who the text is from just from the color of my LED.

Not sure if that will help you or not, but I really like it on my phone.
    I guess I was just looking for it to do the same thing my Samsung Propel did, but I know they are different companies with different features. Oh well I guess you can't have evrything on a phone.
    12-19-10 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD