Torch 2 looking great, but damn, Q3 it comes out. Why is RIM so late lately? My upgrade has been up for a few weeks and i been waiting for a new phone to wow me, this does, but it comes out right before LTE debuts on AT&T. Think I'm gonna go with an Atrix 4G and see what Android has to offer. In 18 months I'll probably be back to see what LTE Blackberry is looking good.
    01-13-11 04:14 PM
    come on RIM am not upgrading till you guys give me a phone with both front and rear camera igb RAM minimum and a dual core processor if necessary and make sure i get ma bb 9700 battery life or better and not touch please
    01-13-11 04:39 PM
    You can't expect a slider to have the same battery capacity as a bar form factor. The dual core will require a significant amount of power regardless of how well the OS is written.

If RIM is not producing the devices that you want, stop whining and move on.
    01-13-11 09:08 PM
    jcp, some of us are locked to BlackBerry devices for various reasons. I'm one of them. So I can't exactly move on, because moving on will render about 200 worth of equipment that was a christmas present useless (and it would be hellishly rude to render the presents useless).

So I can want more. And the most expensive christmas gift that's locked to BlackBerry, I'm gonna be using on a fairly regular basis, so I need that BlackBerry!
    01-13-11 09:20 PM
    I am not saying that there is anything with wanting RIM to step out and take the lead being more responsive to users needs. My point is that the rumored device appears to have a faster processor and browser as well as increased screen resolution, three device attributes that critics have been hammering RIM for not putting in the original Torch and still they are not satisfied. As I asked earlier and the point that I am trying to make is, why does a RIM device have to be a carbon copy of android or Apple. If the other brands offer devices that meet your needs, then move on to them. I also prefer RIM devices but have learned to be more realistic about their pace of offering improvements. So far, having owned four RIM devices, they have more than met my needs.
    01-13-11 09:27 PM
    Q3 starts in July. Is that really so far off?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 09:41 PM
    And ends when? RIM products have a habit of coming out at the end of the quarter. September I believe that is.
    01-13-11 09:42 PM
    RIM has also let dates slip...case in point 9700.

I am betting it slips to Black Friday 2011. If experience has taught anything, the refresh should not be rushed. It will only provide fuel for the trolls if it is rushed out.
    fotyc likes this.
    01-13-11 09:56 PM
    I think this phone is just unnecessary...just get the Storm 3!
    01-13-11 11:03 PM
    I like the look of this but i do agree that Q3 seems a bit far away
    I'm suprised there not bringing out a new phone to co-incide with the playbook coming out
    oh well, maybe i'll wait around and see how it goes as the specs do look very good, my 9700 is still a great little phone maybe i'll just drop onto a cheap contract for a bit lol.
    01-14-11 01:44 AM
    Unless the Storm 3 comes with a physical keyboard, then no thanks.

01-14-11 02:37 AM
    Would anything but Q3 not be too soon from when the Torch came out?

01-14-11 03:44 AM
    I am betting it slips to Black Friday 2011. If experience has taught anything, the refresh should not be rushed. It will only provide fuel for the trolls if it is rushed out.
    Slipping that late would prevent them from launching even newer devices in time for the holiday season, it wouldn't surprise me if this one even showed up by June time to give a decent enough gap.
    01-14-11 06:04 AM
    Slipping that late would prevent them from launching even newer devices in time for the holiday season, it wouldn't surprise me if this one even showed up by June time to give a decent enough gap.
    No offense but all rumored indications are against a Q2 release. Black Friday 2011 was just a guess but would be a great time to launch especially for those who have only had the Torch for a short time. I have had mine since launch day so I will be ready later this fall.

01-14-11 03:58 PM
    Where is the Physical keyboard on the Storm 3? I didn't see it in the leak pics.

Side Note, Q3 makes perfect sense for the Torch 2, the Torch 1 was Q3, so the Torch 2 is Q3, and Torch 3 should be Q3 the following year. and so on and so on..
    01-14-11 07:25 PM
    Well, I just went from mildly anxious to have this phone released to REALLY wanting it released.
    I just dropped my Torch on hard concrete and now it won't turn on. One too many drops. It's toast.

01-15-11 03:36 PM
    Side Note, Q3 makes perfect sense for the Torch 2, the Torch 1 was Q3, so the Torch 2 is Q3, and Torch 3 should be Q3 the following year. and so on and so on..
    Delaying things to q3 wipes out any chance of a torch 3 running qnx hitting the stores in time for xmas 2011 and it wouldn't surprise me if that is a target of theirs and potentially moving to 6 month cycles from then onwards that would allow them to be more responsive to market changes without having to make major changes midway through new projects.
    01-15-11 04:59 PM
    Actually, isn't it perfectly logical that the Torch2 be released in Q3 2011? Isn't that about a year after the Torch1 was released?
    01-15-11 07:32 PM
    Even if the date on T2 slips, it does not preclude a 2012 Q3 launch for T3 assuming that a newer touchscreen horizontal slider isn't at least being considered to replace the T2.

01-16-11 11:05 AM
    I like my Tourch but would love it if it had some ear speaker volume. Will RIM fix that with T2? I would upgrade in a second for ear speaker volume. Come on 3rd qtr. Thoughts will RIM address?
    01-16-11 02:22 PM
    Show me the physical keypad on the Storm then please. Oh, and I don't want a candybar touch 'n' type device either, so don't suggest Dakota. I want a slider to reveal the keypad, and the Torch brings that. Given they sell very well, especially in the UK, there IS demand for it.

The Torch outsells the Storms here in the UK by a long shot, as far as I know. Ok, neither is carrier exclusive, so it allows you to sell the devices based on what people want (although carrier jumping isn't such a big problem, most carriers have almost everywhere covered).

So, tell me therefore how a device that sells better than the Storm, is unnecessary, when it is completely different to the Storm.
    01-16-11 02:29 PM
    What about those of us who want touch screen in addition to traditional keypad? our only other option is to wait for the Dakota to come out. Horizontal slider isn't an option either, even though some think rim will introduce one, many people vastly prefer portrait.

Last edited by ILoveTorch; 01-16-11 at 06:07 PM.
    01-16-11 06:00 PM

Yes it is when your dying to get rid of the wobbly screen on the current version or find one that doesn't have that issue.

01-16-11 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD