Hi friends!

I gotta a few questions to all you (lucky?) Torch 9800 users.

Now itīs out for a while and some of you had a bit time to get used to it...

So whats your resume to it after having it a few months?

What do you like? (What do you like best?)
    Are there some things, you are disappointed?

Is it really worth to upgrade from a bold 9000?
    (I mean, the specs. are almost the same).

If yes, whats are the "big points"?
    I know OS6 is one big feature - but whats REALLY better compaired to OS5?
    (REALLY means - things you won`t miss anymore?)

Let me know whats on your mind!!!

The questions may sound stupid, but I think, that there is a big difference between
    "reading some specs./features on paper and working/having it (in your hand)"

Best wishes,

Slash
    Last edited by Slash82; 11-02-10 at 07:08 AM.
    11-02-10 06:57 AM
    The specs are not almost the same in any way dude.

You get a 5 MP camera as opposed to 2. You get 512 MB of memory so even with OS 6 loaded and so many apps, the phone's performance is amazing. I never had to do a battery pull and never got that annoying loading icon.

OS 6 is a huge ypgrade, nice visual effects, improved menus with graphical layout, and fast performance.

The webkit browser is a revolution, it is so much faster and tabbed briowsing is amazing. I never liked 3rd party browsers like Bolt or Opera.

Now to the best part, the screen and keyboard, u get a big *** screen that blows any BB out of the water, and a keyboard incase u didn't like typing on the touch screen which is very precise BTW and it has automatic typing correction that actually works.

I upgraded from a 9000 last week and the difference is like night and day. I have had many upgrades in the past but this is the first time I find myself constantly playing with my BB.

Even when the 9780 will be released it won't match the Torch simply coz of the bigger screen.

Using a combination of touch screen plus physical keyboard is an awesome mixture especially while browsing its so much easier to browse while touching the screen

PS: this was all typed in 3 mins on the physical keyboard .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 07:13 AM
    Reasons to Switch
    1) Touchscreen and trackpad i/o trackball.
    2) New webkit browser faster.
    3) Physical and virtual keyboard.
    4) Universal search/tabbed browsing.
    5) Pinch to zoom/double tap/swipe.
    6) OS 6 more customization and control.
    7) Integration of social media.
    8) OS 6 is snappier.
    9) Navigation better with trackpad and touchscreen.
    10) Better camera.

Things to Improve
    1) Processor
    2) Browser
    3) Adobe Flash

Having owned a 9000 and a 9700, it is definitely worth the switch.

11-02-10 07:21 AM
    Oh I totally forgot about the awesome pinch to zoom feature which saves u a lot of time rather than doing it through the menu key

11-02-10 07:23 AM
    The Torch also has more onboard storage at 4GB.

11-02-10 07:25 AM
    The ability to hover and access on-screen menus is also a great plus.

11-02-10 07:28 AM
    Hey! Thank you for your super fast replies!!

I think itīs more important to read things from real users, than from any
    specs. from a paper...

But what about the processor?
    Isnīt it the same as the one in the bold 9000??

And Adobe?
    Does it work? I thought, it isnīt out yet??
    11-02-10 07:29 AM
    Your random use of commas makes me laugh lol

11-02-10 07:35 AM

Sorry for that!
    I`m not a native English speaking guy.

I`m from Germany - thatīs how Germans use commas.
    I canīt switch that off.

But I swear I will improve my English skills...
    11-02-10 07:47 AM
    I came from a 9700 to a Torch on the recommendation of a user here, and I have to say I'm very impressed with it! It's a huge upgrade from a Bold 2, IMO. The virtual keyboard is sooo good!
    11-02-10 08:11 AM
    Hey! Thank you for your super fast replies!!

I think itīs more important to read things from real users, than from any
    specs. from a paper...

But what about the processor?
    Isnīt it the same as the one in the bold 9000??

And Adobe?
    Does it work? I thought, it isnīt out yet??
    Does having something inside the device that you can't see really make that much difference? Specs on paper mean nothing, you yourself have said that in your first post.

If its fast and not laggy at all, does it really matter what processor it has? Those that say it does are just tech geeks that really have no use for a working device and just want the latest and greatest. Personally i would prefer it to work and have decent battery life then just having a faster processor just so I can say I have the latest and greatest.

If OS6 is optimized for the processor it has, why put in something it doesn't need? This will just end up costing the consumer more, and use our precious batteries up faster. Yes RIM could have upped the specs of the phone but then instead of 200$ bucks it would have been 400$ and half the people that payed outright would never have bought it. Personally I think RIM got their specs right on this device. Keeping the cost low while not sacrificing quality.

Flash(adobe) is not available yet. I doubt it will be as some have posted around here that a couple devices that do have it eat battery and isn't very good.

I've had my torch now for 2 months? Something like that, got it launch day. I can honestly say after using a friends droid incredible and a co workers IP4, my torch is just as good if not better. The speed of the device, the intuitiveness, the ease of finding things, the combination of trackpad, physical keyboard, virtual landscape and portrait keyboards, and touchscreen make this the best device for myself. Sure the resolution is better on the IP4 and android but that's the only difference I personally see. For me, my torch is just fine if not better in certain areas.

It's all a matter of what you want in a device. Go to a store and play with all of them, then make a decision based on what you yourself find is best for you. Don't let the apple, android, and/or blackberry fanboi's sway you.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-02-10 at 09:57 AM.
    11-02-10 09:53 AM

I think the OP's English is a lot better than many native speakers.

edit: Or writers
    11-02-10 10:08 AM
    OP. Go into a store and test one for yourself. All the opinions in the world are less important than your own since you are the one using the device and only you can decide if it meets your needs.
    Last edited by jcp007; 11-02-10 at 11:44 AM.
    11-02-10 10:45 AM
    In all honesty, the Torch blows my old Bold 9000 out of the water. The camera is much better. The touchscreen is larger and allows for a more interactive experience. The apps are more fun to use. The new OS 6 is much faster than what I had previously. I haven't had any problems with my torch so far.

The main upgrade in my book was the browser (which was pathetic on the Bold). Surfing the net is actually possible on the Torch rather than just using it sparingly when I had to. It's a much more user friendly layout. Scrolling is easier and the screen makes seeing pages easier as well.

The ONLY downside I can think of with the Torch when compared to the Bold is the durability. I could drop the bold down the stairs and it held up. The Torch seems a bit more fragile (but that may be due to the large slider screen). This may be just perception as I have yet to drop the Torch.

I'm very happy with the Torch so far. Just an overall better experience.

11-02-10 11:38 AM
    As far as going from the 9000 I don't know, however now that the novelty has worn off my favorite things are screen real-estate with keyboard, the app space, OS6, and the Bestskinsever cover. Things I don't like; the slider fix, I hate the fact I have to shove a paper in my phone. I just want a permanent fix. But 99.98% of the time I absolutely love this phone!

11-02-10 11:43 AM
    Let me put it this way, I have the torch and out of nostalgia went back to my bold 9000 and because of the keyboard (which is still the best keyboard EVER). BUT with the way I use my phone now, the fully charged battery died in 4 hours from browsing, emails, texting, bbm, and listening to music. I tried to take a picture and literally cringed. I also got frustrated when i'd try to touch the screen, realize it didn't work, go to the trackball and realize it was stuck. -_- I was so miserable on my bold after the torch BUT it's because I'm used to the torch. I don't know if that helps exactly but the torch raises the standard and I can't go backwards. it's too good in comparison. hope that helps.
    11-02-10 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD