Has anyone noticed a problem when they try to hold their finger (press) an icon to bring up the menu that sometimes it does not come up but instead it highlights the icon when u touch it but then it is unhighlited while still holding your finger on it?

I hope I didnt confuse everyone with this question. I didnt really know how to word it.

Im running .246
    10-02-10 10:30 AM
    I've never had this problem - I do find that pressing and holding the icon takes maybe a half second longer than pressing and holding down the trackpad to bring up the menu.

Has this been happening for a long time? If not, have you tried a battery pull?
    10-02-10 03:42 PM
    I've never had this problem - I do find that pressing and holding the icon takes maybe a half second longer than pressing and holding down the trackpad to bring up the menu.

Has this been happening for a long time? If not, have you tried a battery pull?
    I just noticed it yesterday. I have already dont about 4-5 battery pulls since I first noticed it. It has not helped. I never have a problem when I press and hold the track pad but when i press and hold the icon. and it doesnt always happen. I just tried to open the options for the browser and it finally opened the menu on the 7th try. i tried it again and it opened on the 9th try.

very odd
    10-02-10 03:52 PM
    I didn't totally understand your first post but I do notice that when I press and hold an icon - after half a second of being highlighted - it un-highlights and then the menu pops up. I'm not sure if that clue will help...
    10-02-10 03:59 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, there's an options menu for the touch screen. I think "hover" is one of the options and sounds like it may apply here if you change the value to 0.

I personally like it because I have big fingers and tend to smash the screen in places I wish I wouldn't while doing something important.

Edit;

Options>Typing and Input>Touchscreen Sensitivity>Hover Period defaults at 300 it appears. I dropped it to 100 (the minimum) and touching icons resulted in instant results. I'm running .225, though.. Not sure if it would make a difference.
    Last edited by SC0TT; 10-02-10 at 04:19 PM.
    10-02-10 04:02 PM
    I think this is an OS bug. I've never experienced the problem you're describing, but when I press and hold icons certain ones stay highlighted and bring up the menu and others un-highlight then quickly re-highlight and bring up the menu.. very weird. I'm on .246
    10-02-10 04:44 PM
    I know exactly what your talking about! This only happens when I hold my finger on the icon on the touchscreen. It highlights, and then right when the menu should be popping up, the blue around the icon (highlighting) dissapears and no menu pops up. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but maybe this is a bug?

Rogers 9800, .246, purchased sept 30th. My tap interval and hover period settings are set as the default

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 05:21 PM
    I think this is an OS bug. I've never experienced the problem you're describing, but when I press and hold icons certain ones stay highlighted and bring up the menu and others un-highlight then quickly re-highlight and bring up the menu.. very weird. I'm on .246
    ^This

I never noticed it until I read the thread and tried it..but that's exactly what happens on mine. No biggie for me cuz i generally use the trackpad to select my icon and then hit menu button. I'm sure it's a "bug" because it seems to be random.
    10-02-10 05:52 PM
    I've done a little testing on this and I can sort of see an issue here.

I went through my icons pressing every one of them to see if I could get this to happen. I could not get the menu to not pop up.

I did notice two things though:

1) About 80% of the time when pressing and holding an icon, it would highlight it and then after the hold bring up the menu. The other 20% of the time it would highlight it, then un-highlight, and THEN bring up the menu. The latter being with a little extra delay.

2) I could make this happen with any icon if I tried enough times so it just seems like a bug.

I'm not sure why my menu always comes up and some of you are reporting that the menu does not come up...it does delay it a moment later when it happens...and perhaps you are taking your finger off the screen when you see the icon un-highlight whereas I'm keeping my finger there the extra half second to make the menu come up?
    10-02-10 08:26 PM
    I don't think its an issue with removing my finger. I've been playing around with this issue. It does not happen with any specific icon/app. And I don't think its an issue with the length of time holding it. I've waited over 10 seconds before removing my finger, but then it will work on the second or third attempt.

Anyways, I guess its just a bug. Thanks for the responses guys, hopefully its resolved in an update or two

10-02-10 11:50 PM
    Ok so I messed around with some of the touchscreen sensitivity settings and I found out that lowering the swipe sensitivity made the problem go away completely. I retract my previous statements about this being an os bug and chalk it up to user error. I guess my finger moved slightly when I was holding it there, preventing it from opening the menu When I lowered the screen sensitivity (I now have it at 3) I guess it stopped noticing miniscule movements. Swiping around the os still seems fine.

Thx for the replies

10-03-10 06:43 PM
    The only annoying bug I found so far that was after installing yellowpages canada, my phonebook icon no longer says contacts, however, it says yellowpages. WTF
    10-03-10 06:53 PM
    I just did the same. I changed my swipe sensitivity to 3. It did not correct the problem. When I press and hold an icon to open the menu it hilights for a moment then un-hilights. Not all the time and not always the same icons.

Maybe it is a bug in the OS aftrerall.
    10-03-10 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD