The Torch camera seems to take blurry pictures. I have tried all of the settings (including the close up / macro like setting), held with 2 hands carefully - but still just a little blurry.

Does anyone have any tips about this or have experienced any similar stuff.

Any tweeks that can be made?
    09-03-10 09:03 AM
    Here's two pics I Just snapped with my Torch.
    All default settings.
    Not experiencing the blurry problems others seem to be reporting.

09-03-10 09:20 AM
    Great pics!
    09-03-10 09:26 AM
    Yea I am not having any problems with my camera either...Did you change the default resolution by chance? Or play with some other options?
    09-03-10 09:27 AM
    this might sound incredibly stupid (and I don't mean to be insulting in the least since this may have been the first thing you tried) but my wife's Bold was basically doing what you described - blurry pics no matter what I tried to adjust and wound up taking a tissue to the lense and wiped off about two weeks worth of fingerprints - took great pics after that.
    09-03-10 09:57 AM
    Here are some example I just took of a non moving watch.

notice the blurry dial, etc.

Is there a way to reset the camera settings back to default. I have not played with it so much as just tried different pre set settings that come with it
    09-03-10 10:04 AM
    There are several things that will cause you to get blurry pictures. It's the same with the professional camera I use. One thing is that when you're zoomed in all the way you need a LOT of light for it to find a focus point. You can alternatively zoom out then back in again. If your setting is wrong and you have it where the shutter speed is slow, you can get blur that way. If you're using the flash, your sync speed slows down so any movement will appear blurred as well.

If you have it on Auto, zoomed all the way out, you're in bright daylight taking a picture of something absolutely still without a flash and you still get blur then you may have an issue.

Taking the functionality of the camera into consideration, if you don't know much about how the settings work it could clearly come across as a bad camera.
    09-04-10 12:25 AM
    thanks for the response.
    I understand the settings and was zoomed out, on auto, and even if I used the flash feature still blurry.

Is there a way to reset camera settings to default or way they were out of the box?
    09-04-10 05:31 AM
    It looks like the auto focus isn't done acquiring the shot when you snapped the pic. I point it onto the subject, zoom it to how I want, then wait for the focus to clear up before snapping the pic. And yes, most of my pics are taken in auto setting. There are 3 autofocus settings; try them all and see what works best for you. I prefer continuous autofocus with digital zoom enabled. Continuous is when it keeps trying to focus and adjust, which can be a pain for those who can't sit still long enough.

Maybe single shot autofocus is more to your liking; you slightly press the trackpad, a focus box appears & attempts focus for a few secs, then the pic is snapped. If your subject is moving around, then switch to sports mode so the focus kicks in faster. Ample lighting (behind the pic taker) is also ideal.

Like most other cameras, try to maintain 3ft distance (or farther) from the subject and let the focus get you in closer. Some people will also hold their breath and/or take the shot as they finish exhaling, to prevent blurs. Another thing is you could be moving whenever you use the trackpad to snap a pic, so try using the camera icon/touchscreen to prevent a trigger-squeezing blur.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CrypticAzn; 09-04-10 at 12:41 PM.
    09-04-10 12:13 PM
    The Camera on the 9800 is just not as good as the 9700 anymore.

The Close-up mode on the 9700 is waaaay better than the 9800
    11-28-10 11:20 AM
    I am having the same problems...indoor pics are horrible, sometimes the buttons don't work to snap the pics, will get a black screen. Have experimented with all of the settings, even went back to the AT&T store and all 3 phones on display did the same thing. Here are some examples and I was perfectly still while taking the pics:

Thrilled with this one in auto mode

Next pic was blurry with both Molly and I being still

Switched to sports mode and it was blurry

Still in sports mode and better, but dark (auto flash)
    Last edited by blue_dobie; 11-28-10 at 01:02 PM. Reason: sorry about the large pic, resized and uploaded, but won't change
    11-28-10 12:57 PM
    Im not sure if this helps , and and pretty late on posting considering the daye, but if you push the button once it will autofocus and then snap . If you are hasty and push it twice, it will snap immediately. Hope this helps
    12-14-10 11:56 AM
    I hate to state the obvious but for close-up shots, make sure you're using macro mode (the little flower icon).
    12-14-10 12:06 PM
    Hey at least your camera actually reliably takes pics. On my Torch I press the camera button and it flashes up a pic then doesn't respond except for the zoom nor does it save the picture it just "took". I'm so frustrated with this thing.
    12-14-10 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD