I have a Blackberry 9860 and every time I plug my phone into the CPU (HP, Windows 7) and try to access Blackberry Desktop Manager in order to back up my phone, it restarts it. I have been trying to just back up my contacts because I just ordered the Z10 and I want to transfer all my contacts over, but I can't do that because of my phone won't back up. I use Blackberry Protect, but on my Unlocked Z10, instead of just transferring contacts it transferred everything. I was about to uninstall Desktop Manager and see if that may solve the issue, but I wanted to know is this a "wipe the device" issue.
    11-10-13 08:44 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

I have a Blackberry 9860 and every time I plug my phone into the CPU (HP, Windows 7) and try to access Blackberry Desktop Manager in order to back up my phone, it restarts it. I have been trying to just back up my contacts because I just ordered the Z10 and I want to transfer all my contacts over, but I can't do that because of my phone won't back up. I use Blackberry Protect, but on my Unlocked Z10, instead of just transferring contacts it transferred everything. I was about to uninstall Desktop Manager and see if that may solve the issue, but I wanted to know is this a "wipe the device" issue.
    It feels more like a wipe DM issue.

Use Control Panel to remove Desktop Manager, then CCleaner to clean the system. Reboot the computer, download DM fresh from blackberry.com and install it.

Are your contacts in sycn with any of your email accounts? If so, the Z10 will populate them once you add that account to the device. I strongly suggest you move them up to some email. That way, if you ever lose your device (stolen, exploded or lost in a cab) you can always get your contacts back.
    11-10-13 09:10 PM
    Perfect, I will definitely try that right now! And I do not have the synced, how would I do that?
    11-10-13 09:51 PM
    Perfect, I will definitely try that right now! And I do not have the synced, how would I do that?
    If you have gmail, Outlook.com, etc., it should be pretty simple and you likely already have it synced. Log in in the browser and check. If not, it should be pretty simple to setup.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 10:02 PM
    Thank you, I just got through uninstalling DM and I will try to sync my contacts up
    11-10-13 10:17 PM
    Okay, I uninstalled DM and cleaned the system, but as soon as it tries to connect to DM, it restarts itself
    11-10-13 10:55 PM
    Did you try the good old battery pull?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:30 AM
    Your phone reboots or the computer does?
    11-11-13 06:33 AM
    Sounds to me more like a USB port grounding issue. Have you tested on any other systems?
    11-11-13 06:38 AM
    Did you try the good old battery pull?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I tried that several times and it hasn't worked, and because of how notorious my phone is for stopping at 75% when it reboots or getting the white screen of death, then I try not to do that too often. And also, I have a built in media storage problem that keeps asking me to repair it. When I repair it, it freezes the phone and then starts to only load to 75%
    11-11-13 11:25 AM
    Your phone reboots or the computer does?
    My phone reboots
    11-11-13 11:25 AM
    Sounds to me more like a USB port grounding issue. Have you tested on any other systems?
    No, but I should try it on my CPU instead of my laptop. Now the phone will charge when plugged into the charger and it will charge when it is plugged into the computer, but once you try syncing, usb drive, or desktop manager, that is where the issues come about
    11-11-13 11:28 AM