So, with CES going on, and all of the energy being shifted to the Playbook, do people think that this will be the end of any real effort being put behind improvements to the Torch by RIM?

Now that they have their new marquee device and new operating system, how likely is it that they will continue to provide innovation for their "older" devices?

What do people think?
    01-06-11 06:47 AM
    They will keep it running. I mean a few weeks ago we got 8900 leaks right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 06:49 AM
    RIM is focused on moving forward and being pivotal in the consumer market place. This in no way will diminish from the support we will see for older devices, or even newish devices such as the flip(forget the name) or torch.
    01-06-11 06:56 AM
    RIM is focused on moving forward and being pivotal in the consumer market place. This in no way will diminish from the support we will see for older devices, or even newish devices such as the flip(forget the name) or torch.
    Curve, Bold, Torch, Style are the latest devices on the market.

01-06-11 06:59 AM
    Curve, Bold, Torch, Style are the latest devices on the market.

Then it's the style and torch which are the new devices.

3G Curve, and newer Bold(9780) are just refreshes of old devices. Added 3g support and higher megapixel camera in a slightly smaller case.
    01-06-11 07:25 AM
    Then it's the style and torch which are the new devices.

3G Curve, and newer Bold(9780) are just refreshes of old devices. Added 3g support and higher megapixel camera in a slightly smaller case.
    In my opinion, refreshing wasn't really a bad idea. The last ones have sold well, they upgraded and released it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    01-06-11 07:30 AM
    If anyone at RIM reads this forum, they should be aware of some of the glitches this device has... I'd like to think a company like RIM has a team of ppl to do deal with different things. If all of RIM has shifted their energy to the Playbook while some of their devices have known bugs.... That's not good business.

01-06-11 07:39 AM
    There is more than one department to RIM. Its not just the Playbook. Support for the older and current versions of the OS and phones will continue. Nothing changes over night... Unless your Android! lol
    01-06-11 09:01 AM
    Until you see people walking around looking like idiots holding a playbook up to their ear to make phone calls, I would imagine RIM's newest BB will cont to get support.
    01-06-11 09:10 AM
    So, with CES going on, and all of the energy being shifted to the Playbook, do people think that this will be the end of any real effort being put behind improvements to the Torch by RIM?

Now that they have their new marquee device and new operating system, how likely is it that they will continue to provide innovation for their "older" devices?

What do people think?
    The Torch is a phone. The PlayBook is a tablet. Much of RIM's early release documentation showed the PlayBook tethered with the Torch as the Torch was providing data access to the cell network.

Different products, complementary use. I'm guessing quite the opposite will happen....RIM is likely to *ensure* that development proceeds apace on their flagship smartphone product given its close association with the tablet.
    01-06-11 11:37 AM
    Playbook is suppose to have Sprints 4G
    01-06-11 12:05 PM
    Yes, but not until the summer. For now WiFi is the only connectivity option.

RIM unveils plans for 4G PlayBook with Sprint
    01-06-11 12:24 PM
    RIM will be shifting most all focus to QNX and preparing those device imo. OS6 is not going to be a huge priority IMO.
    01-06-11 12:26 PM
    Fail.

01-06-11 12:36 PM
    Barry Levine, newsfactor.com Barry Levine, newsfactor.com – Wed Jan 5, 5:08 pm ET

A 4G smartphone that can expand into a "dockable laptop" and the rollout of AT&T Wireless' 4G LTE network. Those two developments at the Consumer Electronics Show, which opens this week in Las Vegas, are among the latest in a wave of announcements that will roll out over the next few days as wireless enters its next generation.

The smartphone is Motorola's Atrix 4 from AT&T. It's being billed as the most powerful such device ever, with dual-core one-gigahertz processors, 16GB of internal storage, and expandability up to 48GB with a microSD card. It runs Android 2.2 Froyo, features Motorola's MOTOBLUR user interface, and, most interestingly, can be docked so a user can attach a screen, a full-sized keyboard, and ports for a make-your-own laptop.

HSPA+, Long Term Evolution

Another interesting aspect is that, even though AT&T is rolling out its Long Term Evolution (LTE) network this year, the carrier is calling the new Motorola device 4G -- although it actually is built for the current HSPA+ technology. Some industry observers do not consider HSPA+ to be "true" 4G, but others have a wait-and-see attitude about how fast the transmission will be.

Rival network T-Mobile has taken to calling its HSPA+ network 4G, to some consternation by the other major carriers, and now AT&T has adopted the same approach. The company said it can do so because its expanded infrastructure will allow higher speeds.

T-Mobile has been one of those attacking AT&T for the quality and speed of its service, including ads that show an actor representing AT&T's exclusive-in-the-U.S. iPhone 4 carrying an older actor -- representing AT&T's slower network -- on his back. Both AT&T and T-Mobile currently use the same technology.

On Wednesday, AT&T offered more details about its upcoming LTE rollout. It said 20 4G devices will be released this year with Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7, and Apple iOS operating systems.

Thinnest Phone with Largest Screen

A dozen of the new phones will be Android-based, increasing the carrier's commitment to that fast-growing platform. The LTE network will launch in the middle of this year and be completely deployed by 2013, according to details offered by AT&T executives during a pre-CES meeting with software developers.

In addition to the Atrix 4G, AT&T is announcing the new Inspire 4G from HTC and Samsung's Infuse 4G. At 9mm, the Infuse will be AT&T's thinnest phone, and it will have the largest screen, at 4.5 inches. The plan is to feature products for HSPA+ in the first half of 2011, and for LTE in the second.

Among AT&T's two other major U.S. competitors, Verizon Wireless has an aggressive schedule for its LTE network, which it recently launched in selected markets, and Sprint Nextel has released three 4G smartphones for its WiMAX network.
    01-06-11 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD