12-10-10 12:57 AM
39 12
tools
    Very well said bro
    YES...needed to be stated!!! Thanx!
    11-28-10 11:11 AM
    I had no wobble issues... Then I tried a clear TELUS case... Now it has wobble, and while it's something I can live with, I now hate TELUS for making me need to live with it for the next 3 years...
    11-28-10 04:38 PM
    Thanks for providing this picture since I just got my Torch for the 2nd time, I at least have something to compare to and mine looks and feels legit.

At the risk of beating the "wiggling" discussion to death I've posted a pic which shows the difference between the devices. I'm hoping this might help someone when they go to a store to test drive the units.

Both are Mexico 5 with a build date 3 weeks later for the one on the left which makes me suspect their quality is improving as the manufacturing continues.

You can see the one on the left has the bottom lip of the slider relatively tight against the base of the phone...kind of like a hand in a glove to use that metaphor. This is the non-wiggling one.

The device on the right has the slider raised up and it is not recessed into the bottom part of the phone.

Now having said that, both phones have some wiggle. The difference being that the one on the right has much more wiggle to it. You can also feel more restriction in the sliding mechanism with the left one i.e. it feels tight. Whether this will loosen up over time - who knows.

I should also state that the unit on the right isn't that bad and some may even prefer it as the slider moves more quickly when opening. To me it really is almost a coin toss as both are good devices although I'm going to keep the one on the left in the hopes that it won't loosen up further.

Hope this helps future purchasers.
    12-08-10 11:49 AM
    I no have wobble because I have Bold
    12-08-10 11:54 AM
    Apropos of nothing but I do find it funny that the people complaining that people are blowing the wobble out of proportion were some of the ones who complained that the Pre was an inferior product to BB because of the wobble.

Irony.

My mom's has wicked play in it - worse than my old Pre. It doesn't bother her but if it had been my phone it would drive me batty.
    12-08-10 12:01 PM
    Some of the "creaking" and wobble that people feel may actually be the back cover which may be ever so slightly "loose" or give a little too much when keys are pressed. At least that is what mine does. But still an amazing phone and when I get the Seidio Innocase holster combo, that will disappear.

I guess the "wobble" issue is more aggravated by expectations. Those who have never owned a slider do not know what to expect from this form factor. What is normal may be viewed then as "defective". Try out a Samsung Ipression and you will see what I mean.

Another factor contributing to "wobble" discussion may be that some are obsessive/compulsive or anal retentive: what bothers them would not be noticed by others. ;-)
    Last edited by newcollector; 12-08-10 at 12:23 PM.
    12-08-10 12:18 PM
    Some of the "creaking" and wobble that people feel may actually be the back cover which may be ever so slightly "loose" or give a little too much when keys are pressed. At least that is what mine does. But still an amazing phone and when I get the Seidio Innocase holster combo, that will disappear.

I guess the "wobble" issue is more aggravated by expectations. Those who have never owned a slider do not know what to expect from this form factor. What is normal may be viewed then as "defective". Try out a Samsung Ipression and you will see what I mean.

Another factor contributing to "wobble" discussion may be that some are obsessive/compulsive or anal retentive: what bothers them would not be noticed by others. ;-)
    I had both the HTC Wizard and the AT&T Tilt. Neither had any wobble.

I had 4 different Torches before I just returned it outright....3 of them had the wobble (two of them significant wobble). The Torch (at least the first batch for sure) had shoddy QC.
    12-08-10 01:10 PM
    My Torch looks like the one on the right (with the slider slightly raised a bit)... I don't really experience this wobble problem so I guess I'm lucky.
    12-08-10 01:37 PM

Possibly...however, when you hand your Torch over to the sales tech and you say "please check this out" (with no explanation as to why you are handing him your phone)...and the first words out of his mouth, upon sliding the Torch screen open, are "holy $hit, that's not right...let me get you a new one" then you're likely not imagining it, suffering from OCD or anal retentive and it is/was clearly noticeable by others.
    There are defective over wobbly screens on some 9800's.
    12-09-10 12:33 PM
    Possibly...however, when you hand your Torch over to the sales tech and you say "please check this out" (with no explanation as to why you are handing him your phone)...and the first words out of his mouth, upon sliding the Torch screen open, are "holy $hit, that's not right...let me get you a new one" then you're likely not imagining it, suffering from OCD or anal retentive and it is/was clearly noticeable by others.
    There are defective over wobbly screens on some 9800's.
    In your case, your situation is real. Never said that wobble does not occur for some, just was saying that sometimes some people see a wobble thread and then obsess on it. When in doubt, take it back to the dealer and let them replace as you did.
    12-09-10 01:09 PM
    Have a wobbly pop and forget it
    12-09-10 01:19 PM
    I wonder how people open or "slide" their phone open. I've seen some people open it with one hand by pushing down on the screen and pushing away with their thumbs, which looks totally wrong. I hold the phone by 2 hands and use both thumbs to slide open the screen. I guess mentally to keep the pressure even from both sides rather than one side or one area. If anyone understands that.. lol Maybe by changing how you open the phone, it will keep one side from "lifting" or become looser than the other.
    Last edited by escobar973; 12-09-10 at 01:39 PM.
    12-09-10 01:37 PM
    I have a Torch that was manufactured in Canada and haven't had one issue while sliding it. I can understand desiring perfection from your phone, especially when these suckers cost so much.
    12-09-10 02:02 PM
    My third one is finally starting to creak at various points on the phone where I apply pressure...again. Sounds like an old rocking chair on a porch or a squeaky door in a horror movie depending on where I press on it. The strange thing it some of these creaks are intermittant.

The battery door makes quite a strange clicking/creaking noise as well.
    12-10-10 12:57 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD