Hey all. I have the 9800 and love it. Great BB i feel, really nice stet up from my storm 2.
    However, i lock the keypad with the top left button (not password lock) and everytime i slide it out of the pouch i have its always unlocked. Does the sliding movement do something to unlock it? I had the same thing with an old 8520 and i had to set a password to lock the phone. I dont want to have to do this again as it slows down communication and i find it annoying. So, is there anything i can do to stop the phone from unlocking itself? I cant see anything in the settings so any help is greatly appreciated!
    12-01-10 03:16 AM
    Try using patternlock to lock your screen with a finger code instead of the slide unlock

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 05:04 AM
    Frank

Thanks for the suggestion, tried it, however you have to then find the app to click before you put away your phone, which again slows things down. I want to be able to use the lock button on the top of the phone but not have it unlock so easily. Surely there must be an option to stop this happening as it doesnt make sense!
    12-01-10 05:33 AM
    BerrySlider? I don't use it myself, but maybe an option?
    12-01-10 05:54 AM
    Patternlock has a setting that will activate Patternlock behind the native lock. When you press that top left button, Patternlock locks then the screen goes off. When you pull your device out of the holster and hit the unlock button or slide your screen up, the berry wakes then you finger swipe your pattern and the phone unlocks. I use it and it doesn't take more then a half second to do.

12-01-10 06:34 AM
    Install patternlock then do this: Options, third party apps, patternlock, general, assign to hardware key lock then choose launch behind native lock.

12-01-10 06:37 AM
    Install patternlock then do this: Options, third party apps, patternlock, general, assign to hardware key lock then choose launch behind native lock.
    OP: Also make sure you have the latest version of PatternLock paid edition. It wasn't until a week or two ago that they released an update to make it properly lock with the hardware lock (you had to have autolock enabled at 1 second previously).
    12-01-10 06:50 AM
    These are all great options, but shouldn't this be an option within the blackberry from the get go? Its their top end phone but you have to pay for a separate app that lets you lock the screen securely without a password? The button on the top left seems pretty much useless to me really as everytime i slide my phone out of its case, its unlocked. I thought the idea of it was to be in a convenient place so you could lock it and unlock it easily.
    Is a 3rd party app the only option then? I downloaded trials for slider and pattern apps but i dont want to have to pay for something that the BB can actually do itself. The apps work fine although i have to pay for the full apps to get them generated by the top lock button.
    12-01-10 09:07 AM
    I think it's just assumed that if you take it out of the case, you want to use it. It wouldn't be all that hard to take it out and hit the lock button again...

The real problem is that the lock button is too easy to press.
    12-01-10 09:29 AM
    the magnet in the holster is what is unlocking it when you pull it out. As when you put it in the holster without locking it, it locks itself once it gets in and hits the magnet.

I don't understand pulling it out and wanting it locked. Don't you want to use it when you take it out? Why don't you just click the lock button on the way out of the holster?
    12-01-10 09:42 AM
    OP: Also make sure you have the latest version of PatternLock paid edition. It wasn't until a week or two ago that they released an update to make it properly lock with the hardware lock (you had to have autolock enabled at 1 second previously).
    I just downloaded PatternLock and it works great! Very customizable and it works flawlessly witht the lock button! I love it because the Torch doesn't lock with a password when you press the lock key, plus entering a password is a hassle sometimes. Now with Patternlock it takes a second!
    12-01-10 09:44 AM
    I think the problem may be the same one that I sometimes have. When I pull the phone out of my side opening holster, I inadvertently hit something that pulls up the change sounds and alerts menu or some other menu that you have to escape from first in order to do whatever it is your were going to do.
    12-01-10 10:32 AM
    There are a lot of faetures BB users want as standard on their devices but are app only. I love the talk to search feature, which is standard on the iphone 4 but I had to buy an expensive app to have it on my Torch. I put up with it because I love the Torch...and hated Apple

12-01-10 12:12 PM
    There are a lot of faetures BB users want as standard on their devices but are app only. I love the talk to search feature, which is standard on the iphone 4 but I had to buy an expensive app to have it on my Torch. I put up with it because I love the Torch...and hated Apple

Vlingo free doesn't work?
    12-01-10 12:34 PM
    the magnet in the holster is what is unlocking it when you pull it out. As when you put it in the holster without locking it, it locks itself once it gets in and hits the magnet.

I don't understand pulling it out and wanting it locked. Don't you want to use it when you take it out? Why don't you just click the lock button on the way out of the holster?
    agreed...

i mean your talking about a feature that is supposed to happen... remove form holster auto unlock... in holster auto lock - happens...
    12-01-10 03:18 PM
    I agree. I would like for my Torch to remain locked when I pull it out of the holster as I always end up pressing a key or touching the screen as I remove it... and you never know what might inadvertently happen!
    12-08-10 10:23 AM
    Just grab it by the sides when you're pulling it out.
    It's DESIGNED to unlock when taken out of the holster, as that's when you'll be using it.

If you don't like it, then you can try to remove the magnets or get a universal case/holster.
    12-08-10 10:43 AM
    I just dl the PatternLock and its great! A little disappointed I had to pay to have something to specifically lock and unlock my screen since the old bb's had the easy way to simply press buttons to unlock but I'll get over it...I like the pattern slide...and it was only 3 bucks.
    12-21-10 10:34 AM
    A problem I'm having is that is unlocks or remains unlocked when I put in the holster. I have to push the lock button after I put it in. It's weird though, in that it doesn't do that all the time. But it has never auto-locked when it goes in the case, nor does it unlock when I take it out. What's up with that?
    12-22-10 09:46 AM
    A problem I'm having is that is unlocks or remains unlocked when I put in the holster. I have to push the lock button after I put it in. It's weird though, in that it doesn't do that all the time. But it has never auto-locked when it goes in the case, nor does it unlock when I take it out. What's up with that?
    It sounds like you may have a holster/accessory that is a bit of a dud, I've had a case before which didn't have the magnet placed in it quite right, which resulted in my device at that time (a Bold 9000) not going into lock/standby upon being put into the holster.

While I've not checked within OS6, In OS4.6+ there was a Device Self-Test application which you could access via going into the device status screen and typing "test" on your keyboard, within that there was the "Holster/Sleep Magnet Detect Test" which upon being holstered, and detecting the sleep/lock magnet properly, would cause your LED to go to solid green, and revert to solid red when it wasn't detecting the magnet.

If you have a few minutes, you may want to try that out and see if it's actually the case being a bit of a dud, but as I said, I myself haven't taken the time to see if that self-test app is still accessible within OS6.
    12-22-10 09:55 AM
    If its an OEM holster for the torch, you can simply place the device on the holster like it was slid into it and it should turn off. The phone doesn't necessarily "lock" when put into a holster but just times out the screen and "locks" the keyboard and front keys. When you pull it out of a properly working case the screen should light up(unlock) and be ready for use. If you use a password to "lock" the device then removing it from the holster will prompt for the password.
    12-22-10 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD