On my old Tour I can password protect my phone when I hit the lock button. To make matters worst my Torch keeps going off every time I put it in my pocket. The lock button on the torch is very easy to tap. Also I leave my phone out in the open at work and I don't want my co worker to go through my phone so my phone is always in the open until the password timer kicks in. This is a major security feature flaw of the phone imo.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE PASSWORD LOCK FEATURE FOR THE LOCK BUTTON.

The Torch is a great phone but even the simplest feature can annoy a fan like me and ruin the experience of this phone. There have been numerous threads requesting this feature back and I'm starting to think our voice isn't heard by RIM or they are ignoring our simplest request.
    10-31-10 11:25 AM
    I think if they were smart, they would nake it "standby lock" on a click, and "password lock" if you hold for a few seconds, so that you can hold for a couple seconds to enable PW and tap to enable scrEen lock. Also should allow volume keys to be set as convience keys (natively). Annd they should change the camera (or atleast the video camera) to be able to toggle the flash using the space bar. Mayb its just my phone or os, but I have to go into options to change my video/camera light

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-10 11:41 AM
    All newer OS's for the Tour and any other device with 2 top buttons (Lock & Mute) have the same functionality. I believe the earliest for the Tour that had this was 5.0.0.484, so your Tour OS must have been older.

Your idea of holding to Password Lock is a great one that I haven't heard before.

My signature contains a link to a 9700 thread I started to explain this new Lock functionality. My signature won't show as this is a mobile post, so give me a minute to go get the link.

10-31-10 12:55 PM
    I haven't tested this all out on my Torch yet, but I think it's mostly the same:

How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock with newer OSfor Bold 9700, Bold 9650, Tour 9630, Curve 8900

10-31-10 01:03 PM
    And this is design intent. If you wish a change, go through your carrier if on BIS or your IT department if on BES.

10-31-10 01:14 PM
    And your local congressman!

10-31-10 03:58 PM
    Edit: read link above and answered all my questions. As to the OP, I just downloaded Storm Slider and use that which makes it impossible to pocket dial...or Patternlock is another cool one but a bit annoying for my taste.

Last edited by Epillon21; 10-31-10 at 05:00 PM.
    10-31-10 04:55 PM
    Edit: read link above and answered all my questions. As to the OP, I just downloaded Storm Slider and use that which makes it impossible to pocket dial...or Patternlock is another cool one but a bit annoying for my taste.
    Oh good to know on the Storm Slider. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it didn't work with the Torch yet.

10-31-10 05:13 PM
    I hope rim sees this and have a fix to this security issue on the next official update.
    11-01-10 01:33 PM
    What security issue?

11-01-10 07:43 PM
    When your lock button have a lock symbol on it, wouldn't you assume it's going to securely lock your phone and not just turn your screen off.

When your screen is turn off, wouldn't you assume your phone is locked and password protected. I leave my phone at my office station all the time and people can easily grab my phone and snoop around the minute my attention is turn away.

Are these two features not a security threat?

This feature was on my Tour before I switch to the Torch. I want this feature back and so do many people. I shouldn't have to rely on a third party app.
    11-02-10 12:54 AM
    Not commenting on the validity of your opinion, but do want to clarify again that all current OS's of 8900, 96XX (including Tour), and 9700 for many months now have featured this lock functionality.

A different workaround to suggest is downloading Shao-soft's Six Tools app (see 3rd Party Apps forum) and then you can assign Password Lock to one of your Volume keys or your Mute key.

11-02-10 01:15 AM
    Turn on password lock and you get the true lock icon. As said above this is how it works. Matter of fact, I cannot think of another device that has a physical button to password lock a device.

11-02-10 05:55 AM
    On my old Tour I can password protect my phone when I hit the lock button. To make matters worst my Torch keeps going off every time I put it in my pocket. The lock button on the torch is very easy to tap. Also I leave my phone out in the open at work and I don't want my co worker to go through my phone so my phone is always in the open until the password timer kicks in. This is a major security feature flaw of the phone imo.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE PASSWORD LOCK FEATURE FOR THE LOCK BUTTON.

The Torch is a great phone but even the simplest feature can annoy a fan like me and ruin the experience of this phone. There have been numerous threads requesting this feature back and I'm starting to think our voice isn't heard by RIM or they are ignoring our simplest request.

Well, the solution is simple .
    Just enable the keyboard shortcuts , and the shortcut key is K.

On home screen, just hit K (from physical keyboard obviously ), and it locks the device.

11-02-10 06:29 PM
    On my wish-list is a proper physical lock like ipods used to have (maybe still do - not bought one in a while).

11-03-10 01:22 AM
    Can someone posts step by step instructions on having a lock on the phone? I went into the passwords section, adn set a password, but it didn't password lock my phone when I push the lock button.

I've been looking everywhere and I can't find it .

Also, whats does "Lock Handhel upon hoistering mean?

For the Torch btw.
    11-03-10 05:34 AM
    Once you have activated password lock, you will have an icon of a padlock that says password lock under it at the bottom of your blackberry menu.

What i do is then add this to the top line of my favourites so I just have to swipe across and press the icon to lock.
    11-03-10 05:51 AM
    I got it,....options-->Security--->password--->enabled...blah..blah..!

Move the icon to the top!

11-03-10 06:58 AM
    Can someone posts step by step instructions on having a lock on the phone? I went into the passwords section, adn set a password, but it didn't password lock my phone when I push the lock button.

For the Torch btw.
    setting password doesnt mean that it locks when the screen lock button is pressed, what they r talking abt is an icon on ur home screen with padlock simbol which locks the device.

And if u select lock upon holstering, it locks the device whenever u slide ur torch into a holster ( should be a one with magnetic case)
    11-03-10 09:36 AM
    setting password doesnt mean that it locks when the screen lock button is pressed, what they r talking abt is an icon on ur home screen with padlock simbol which locks the device.

And if u select lock upon holstering, it locks the device whenever u slide ur torch into a holster ( should be a one with magnetic case)
    Well it should, what's the point of a lock button with lock symbol when it doesn't do what it should look like to do. Which is lock the phone.
    11-07-10 01:31 AM
    Opinions do not matter. Do a search or better yet read the manual. The button works as designed, end of story. Besides autolock works fine now. RIM leaves many thing up to 3rd party authors and this is one area they have choosen to do so.

Last edited by shansmi; 11-07-10 at 10:11 AM.
    11-07-10 08:58 AM
    Opinions do not matter. Do a search or better yet read the manual. The button works as designed, end of story. Besides autolock works fine now. RIM leaves many thing up to 3rd party authors and this is one area they have choosen to do so.

That was kind of rude. It's not an opinion, it's a complaint. There has been numerous threads on this subject and people are frustrated. If it isn't a lock button then don't put a lock symbol on it and make people wonder. If Blackberry does not want to see threads like this then they should have been smarter in the first place. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out what a lock button should do.
    11-07-10 11:04 AM
    How was it rude? You do not "like" the intended design, in this case to lock the screen vs the device. BB smarter? How about smarter users? The way this works has been posted dozens of times dating back to when this changed for all devices. It works this way period. Doing a simple search, reading the user manaul or simply testing functionality in a store at or before purchase would have shown this. Following directions like going through your carrier or beta zone etc where RIM actually looks and responds are good things to do as well. Complaining on CB will not warrant a change. As stated yet again, there is no malfunction of software or hardware here and to top that off you have been provided an excellent workaround.

Pretty sure that's all your going to get.

11-07-10 11:28 AM

For the Torch btw.
    I posted the link to my step-by-step instructions a few posts up on Oct 31st, at around 1100am PST.

How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock with newer OSfor Bold 9700, Bold 9650, Tour 9630, Curve 8900

I'm 99% sure it's the same with the Torch and BB6, but I'd love for some people to confirm so I can update the title of that link if it's all correct.

As someone else mentioned, holstering is putting the BB into a holster, as in the BB leather pouch or leather holster with belt clip. The OEM RIM-made holsters have a "sleep magnet" inside which automatically locks the device's keyboard, shuts off screen, puts into a (slightly) power-saving Standby mode.
    Most 3rd party holsters & cases do not have the magnet. Off-hand, I can tell you Seidio Innocase & Spring-Clip holsters do have these magnets too.

11-07-10 01:23 PM
    Well it should, what's the point of a lock button with lock symbol when it doesn't do what it should look like to do. Which is lock the phone.
    I prefer the way it works, the physical button provided is only for turning the screen off so that u don't press something by accident. and u can simply press it to unlock and continue ur work.
    the purpose of password locking the device is not to prevent those accidental presses, but to prevent unauthorized use.
    So if this button was meant to password lock the device each time u press it even by accident, u wouldn't like it specially when u use a secure password ( not just 4 digits as with some other phones )

people might get confused with the icon used ( the padlock ) , but it is reasonable coz it locks the device when pressed and unlocks when pressed again, so nothing's wrong with it ( it doesn't show u a password + lock symbol )
    so if u want more secure lock it might involve more steps )
    but still u have KB short cuts to password lock the device with just one button click ( short cut key - K )
    11-08-10 12:36 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD