Do you guys think AT&T is coming on too strong with the Torch? The AT&T store in my city has some this huge display making the Torch looking like some Godly phone LOL. I think with the Torch's limited functionality compared to other smart phones, they should save the money and market to corporate America instead.

Who agrees? Discuss.
    09-28-10 03:35 PM
    Please expand on your views of "limited functionality"..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 03:41 PM
    +1 on the "limited functionality" explanation?

09-28-10 04:09 PM
    What the deuce?
    09-28-10 04:11 PM
    No HDMI out and few if any fart apps.
    I think the OP means we can't play all those great 3D-acclerated graphics games on it! But seriously, the Torch is by no means limited...it seems to do everything well.
    Do you guys think AT&T is coming on too strong with the Torch? The AT&T store in my city has some this huge display making the Torch looking like some Godly phone LOL. I think with the Torch's limited functionality compared to other smart phones, they should save the money and market to corporate America instead.

Who agrees? Discuss.
    Since you list the 9000 as your phone, your comment of limited functionality is moot. Couldn't disagree more with your comments. Torch is a great phone. Had it since launch day and would hate to have to go back to my 9000.
    09-28-10 04:13 PM
    I think the OP means we can't play all those great 3D-acclerated graphics games on it! But seriously, the Torch is by no means limited...it seems to do everything well.
    No 3D accelerated graphics!!! Yep, RIM should stop the marketing!!! ;-)

09-28-10 04:16 PM
    Just because it doesn't wipe your *** does not mean it has limited functionality.
    09-28-10 04:18 PM
    Just because it doesn't wipe your *** does not mean it has limited functionality.
    It doesn't do that either???? RIM should just stop production of the phone, let alone market it ;-)

09-28-10 04:22 PM
    You guys should seriously stop comparing BlackBerry to iPhone and Android (you guys aren't name dropping, but c'mon it's so obvious!). It's like saying a car has limited functionality because it doesn't have a Bose stereo system, built-in navi, heated leather seats and apps that tell you through the speakers your car needs a wash, more gas, and has low tire pressure on the side your Mother-in-law just so happens to be sitting on.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-28-10 at 04:31 PM.
    09-28-10 04:22 PM
    You can't compare them. I have a Torch for work and an iPhone 4 as my personal phone. They can not be compared. The Torch works flawlessly for what what I think BBs are meant to do. I see it as a business phone and that's it. I can't bring myself to search the web on it, use it as a gps, or download anything that doesn't involve spreadsheets or word processing.

I agree that AT&T is going a bit overboard with the hype. I had a Bold before the iP4 and everyday I wish I'd asked my company to order me the Bold instead of the Torch.
    09-28-10 04:36 PM
    You can't compare them. I have a Torch for work and an iPhone 4 as my personal phone. They can not be compared. The Torch works flawlessly for what what I think BBs are meant to do. I see it as a business phone and that's it. I can't bring myself to search the web on it, use it as a gps, or download anything that doesn't involve spreadsheets or word processing.

I agree that AT&T is going a bit overboard with the hype. I had a Bold before the iP4 and everyday I wish I'd asked my company to order me the Bold instead of the Torch.
    I'll agree that you can't compare them. But to say you can't bring yourself to websurf, download, gps etc is assinine. I guess if you can't bring yourself to make your phone work better for you and invest some time into it to customize it to your needs..then I guess I can see why you own an iPhone for personal use. One button functioning..I've said it before and I'll say it again..that's about all 90% of the population can handle.

09-28-10 04:50 PM
    No such thing as over marketing in this case really...
    09-28-10 04:53 PM
    I used the torch for about a week although I had the option to try it for a month. Gladly went back to the Bold.
    09-28-10 04:57 PM
    I'll agree that you can't compare them. But to say you can't bring yourself to websurf, download, gps etc is assinine. I guess if you can't bring yourself to make your phone work better for you and invest some time into it to customize it to your needs..then I guess I can see why you own an iPhone for personal use. One button functioning..I've said it before and I'll say it again..that's about all 90% of the population can handle.

I agree. I surf the web all day and use the GPS. The torch does both very well.

09-28-10 04:58 PM
    I also agree that the torch cannot be compared with the iphone.

As for the "limited functionality", I think it's relative to the user. Some like the phone, some not. It's impossible to satisfy everyone in this market.

In regards to the advertisement, well...apple bombarded the airwaves etc with the iphone and the nano, even when the former was lacking, for example, mms capabilities, as well as camera functionality (camera flash didn't come until the i4).

Coming from the 3g & 3gs, I was slightly worried with what to expect from the torch. However, I am loving this phhone as days pass by. The OS upgrades make the phone even better!

09-28-10 04:59 PM
    I remember even more marketing by ATT for the iphone.....
    Its same thing, just putting the hype on RIM.

Its good to see the blackberry back in the public eye 10 times a day

09-28-10 05:20 PM

Thank you, at least someone can think rationally.

The Torch is a business phone. So why waste the money marketing to the general consumer? The average joe customer is NOT a business person and does NOT need BES or anything of that sort.

I don't know why Torch owners get so defensive - let me make myself clear. When I said limited functionality, I was referring to its functionality compared to the other leading smart phones, not its limited functionality as a business phone.
    09-28-10 05:32 PM
    Thank you, at least someone can think rationally.

The Torch is a business phone. So why waste the money marketing to the general consumer? The average joe customer is NOT a business person and does NOT need BES or anything of that sort.

I don't know why Torch owners get so defensive - let me make myself clear. When I said limited functionality, I was referring to its functionality compared to the other leading smart phones, not its limited functionality as a business phone.
    when you can explain to me why apple is now pushing enterprise, Ill explain to you why rim is marketing everyday consumers.
    09-28-10 05:34 PM

WOW, so because my iphone fits my personal needs I'm an *****?! Interesting, I could comment further on that assinine statement, but it isn't that serious.
    My work phone does exactly what it needs to do. Surfing the web is like watching paint dry on my BB, sorry. So why would I use it when I have another phone that does it faster. I don't need to customize it, I'm an adult and its for work. You should calm down..

09-28-10 05:37 PM
    Since you list the 9000 as your phone, your comment of limited functionality is moot. Couldn't disagree more with your comments. Torch is a great phone. Had it since launch day and would hate to have to go back to my 9000.
    Oh I should update that, I actually upgraded to a phone I will not disclose due to the tension in this thread LOL. If you really care you could find out looking up my posts, but who cares.

But everyone knows the 9000 was a great phone in its time and it was definitely competing with the top phones in 2008 and early 2009. And basically I was expecting that from RIM also. I guess they just have other priorities, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    09-28-10 05:37 PM
    I used the torch for about a week although I had the option to try it for a month. Gladly went back to the Bold.
    Yeah I've heard that before. I need to see if my 30 days are up. I'm seriously considering a trade.

09-28-10 05:40 PM

This is a ridiculous argument. Why spend all the money just so I'd have to invest even more time to customize it myself? I remember all the problems I had with my Bold 9000, setting up e-mails and syncing calendars and rebooting and that is something that no smart phone costing $200 should be doing.
    09-28-10 05:44 PM
    The problem is, everyone has different uses for a smart phone. I find that most business people enjoy BB. I find people who want more of a media center enjoy iPhones. This thread comes down to one question....what do YOU want a phone to do for YOU. There is no wrong or right....its needs and wants....
    09-28-10 05:56 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD