The problem is, everyone has different uses for a smart phone. I find that most business people enjoy BB. I find people who want more of a media center enjoy iPhones. This thread comes down to one question....what do YOU want a phone to do for YOU. There is no wrong or right....its needs and wants....
    The real problem is that no one takes the time to read anymore.

The fact that different phones serve different purposes has been established. Please refer to first post.
    09-28-10 06:00 PM
    Thank you, at least someone can think rationally.

The Torch is a business phone. So why waste the money marketing to the general consumer? The average joe customer is NOT a business person and does NOT need BES or anything of that sort.

I don't know why Torch owners get so defensive - let me make myself clear. When I said limited functionality, I was referring to its functionality compared to the other leading smart phones, not its limited functionality as a business phone.
    Is it me or does this guy not realize what he's saying?

@kevintech You said you were "referring to it's limited functionality compared to the other leading smartphones, not it's limited functionality as a business phone," and that you agree that they can't be compared, yet you put your foot in your mouth when you said you were "referring to it's limited functionality compared to the other leading smartphones, not it's limited functionality as a business phone," which is comparing apples to oranges. Business oriented smartphone. Consumer oriented smartphone. Business oriented smartphone. Consumer oriented smartphone.

WTF?! iPhone nor Android are corporate devices. How can you compare what BlackBerry is for consumer purposes to what an iPhone or Android device is for consumers. iPhone/Android was designed for consumers. RIM/BlackBerry's core customer base/target has been, since their first pager (the 850, I think), has been professionals, not kids who want apps that make fart noises or tells them how much to tip the waiter, which any n00b can do with a basic calculator.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-28-10 at 06:12 PM.
    09-28-10 06:01 PM
    I'll agree that you can't compare them. But to say you can't bring yourself to websurf, download, gps etc is assinine. I guess if you can't bring yourself to make your phone work better for you and invest some time into it to customize it to your needs..then I guess I can see why you own an iPhone for personal use. One button functioning..I've said it before and I'll say it again..that's about all 90% of the population can handle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I would assume you want to say "ASININE"??

I've said it before and I'll say it again...that's about all 90% of the population can spell correctly.
    09-28-10 06:02 PM
    This is a ridiculous argument. Why spend all the money just so I'd have to invest even more time to customize it myself? I remember all the problems I had with my Bold 9000, setting up e-mails and syncing calendars and rebooting and that is something that no smart phone costing $200 should be doing.
    The word for today kids is "My."

As in: I remember having problems with my Bold 9000.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-28-10 at 06:07 PM.
    09-28-10 06:04 PM
    The word for today kids is "My."

As in: I remember having problems with my Bold 9000.
    LMFAO!! Yeah, my bold was the only one with problems in the WHOLE world.

I have now lost respect for Torch owners.
    09-28-10 06:11 PM
    LMFAO!! Yeah, my bold was the only one with problems in the WHOLE world.

I have now lost respect for Torch owners.
    I didn't say that. You, however, implied that ALL 9000's had problems in general or at least the problems you had. You can't say all 9000 users had problems, just like I can't say that only yours had problems, which I didn't.

You had a point with the whole "we shouldn't have these problems on a device that costs so much" thing. I agree.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-28-10 at 06:21 PM.
    09-28-10 06:17 PM
    Is it me or does this guy not realize what he's saying?

....not kids who want apps that make fart noises or tells them how much to tip the waiter, which any n00b can do with a basic calculator.
    OMG! You can make farting noise with the calculator??? You have to teach me how to do it. Nothing would make my day more then the ability to make fart noises with my Torch calculator while in a meeting discussing a billion dollar oil and gas project. Impressive, I see a promotion in my future!!
    09-28-10 06:24 PM
    OMG! You can make farting noise with the calculator??? You have to teach me how to do it. Nothing would make my day more then the ability to make fart noises with my Torch calculator while in a meeting discussing a billion dollar oil and gas project. Impressive, I see a promotion in my future!!

Too many ignorant people at this forum. Let them go. My gf owns an Iphone 4. I think it's a great device. Sometimes I can play with it for like hours long. Too bad my company won't allow corp email acct to set on any phones except blackberry.
    09-28-10 06:33 PM
    XD........
    09-28-10 06:50 PM
    Anyone can ridicule the apps on the iPhone, but what people forget (or don't even know about) are the apps that are quite useful.
    09-28-10 06:55 PM
    Too many ignorant people at this forum. Let them go. My gf owns an Iphone 4. I think it's a great device. Sometimes I can play with it for like hours long. Too bad my company won't allow corp email acct to set on any phones except blackberry.
    I too think the iPhone 4 is great. The point I was trying to make and what really bothers me about people loving/having an iPhone was that a lot of the apps don't make any sense whatsoever (the fact that people have the apps, not so much that they're available). Why have an app that tells you what to tip the waiter when you can just use the calculator? Why have an app that when you press it, says "That's what she said," when you could just say it yourself? Why have an app that makes fart noises when you could just use your ***?

I love the hi-res screen, the hardware, the A4 processor, the browser, I've always loved iPods, love the awesome games and how awesome they look.

My love, if that's what you want to call it, for the iPhone and how much I find myself using it, is part of the reason why I decided to go with a device with a bigger screen. So I could do some of those things. A high-end QWERTY BlackBerry with a 2.44" screen is just not what it used to be anymore for what I need now.
    09-28-10 07:04 PM
    Luckily, I have both the iPhone 4 and 9800. The iPhone 4 is better, though. Both of these are my personal phones. I switch every 31 days.

09-28-10 07:11 PM
    Luckily, I have both the iPhone 4 and 9800. The iPhone 4 is better, though. Both of these are my personal phones. I switch every 31 days.

I had both and felt that that torch was better. iPhone4 was nice, though.
    09-28-10 07:52 PM
    I remember a bunch of useless apps for the Storm Series BlackBerries too, such as the whip app, the lightsaber app, the press the screen to make it look broken app...... I think both platforms have their useless apps, but I didn't decide on a phone because of the amount or lack of useless apps, I wanted a phone with good messaging capabilities and I liked the option of a qwerty keyboard and touchscreen. I am not defending either phone, I like the screen of the iphone a lot, but really like the options I have on my torch. If I could put the two together I would.

I agree though that this phone is (by comparison) not a good choice for the everyday consumer. The advertising is a bit over the top, the commercials do not show me anything the torch can do over any other phone, except for the slider keyboard and BBM. People do not choose the torch for the great media playback and high res screen.

09-28-10 09:20 PM
    This is a ridiculous argument. Why spend all the money just so I'd have to invest even more time to customize it myself? I remember all the problems I had with my Bold 9000, setting up e-mails and syncing calendars and rebooting and that is something that no smart phone costing $200 should be doing.
    Lol..what? What phone nowadays doesn't have to have the email accounts setup on them? Does Steve Jobs now send out personalized iPhones specifically designed for you with your email already set up? AND all your calendar entries already established? Wow..no wonder folks like the iPhone. That's some hand crafted goodness there. Nows all you need is for him to come and personally tuck you in at night and all will be right in the world.

09-28-10 09:21 PM
    I think they're marketing it perfectly. Obviously AT&T have exclusivity of the iPhone ending soon and need a device to try and pick up some slack and RIM have got to push hard to keep their brand awareness in the consumers mind. It's a great campaign if you ask me.

Edit: just finished reading the entire thread, had to TROLL through some rubbish to get to the end of it. I'll say that the torch most definitely is aimed at the consumer. During the press conference introduction of the phone it was all about the consumer, not a word about the enterprise and it's a fine consumer device which does what 90% of users would want it to do, out of the box. FB and twitter built in, no need to go hunting down apps for that. Of course, some people will have you think that FB and twitter are essential enterprise apps hence them being pre-installed on a "business" device!... It's squarely aimed at the consumer, and why not, the consumer is now 80% of RIM's new user base.

Last edited by xandermac; 09-28-10 at 10:32 PM.
    09-28-10 10:09 PM
    I agree ^^^^^^ The Torch is more for the consumer. I don't do business stuff at all on it. I text, make calls, play a few games, surf the web, and I only have one bbm contact. The Torch does all these extremely well, though I had other choices of smart phone at my disposal. This device is just plain great. Very very satisfied.

09-29-10 12:03 AM
    The apple fanboy was strong in this thread...

09-29-10 04:41 AM
    Turning the thread back to the original point and away from the pissing match...Is the OP trying to say that because he/she does not think that Torch is not a very good smartphone that RIM should not try to advertise to market segments? That is absolutely ridiculous. The Torch is a great step in the right direction albeit not as aggressive as it should have been. RIM is trying to stir up interest not only among businessprofessionals but disaffected Apple and android users as well as new potential owners.

09-29-10 06:50 AM
    And seeing how RIM is the second top selling smartphone company in the world only behind nokia, it seems they are marketing quite well...

09-29-10 07:44 AM
    Man these threads always seem to end up going the same direction. Very few people seem to be willing to acknowledge that there can be more than one very good device. My wife has an iPhone 4. Nice device, and I do think Apple makes some amazing products. I have a Torch. Also nice device. Initially got it 'cause my company only provides BBerrys. After using her phone extensively, I think if I were to buy my own device for personal use I would go with the Torch. Either way, both are really good. Others have said it best by describing the iPhone (and Droid) as a multimedia device that also communicates while the Torch is a com device that also does mmedia. I'm at a loss why people continuously feel the need to start threads bashing one or the other.

Back to the OT, who really cares whether the amount of marketing is appropriate? Seems like just another way of bashing. The point of all this escapes me.
    09-29-10 07:50 AM
    And seeing how RIM is the second top selling smartphone company in the world only behind nokia, it seems they are marketing quite well...

So would that make you a RIM fanboy

RIM is the second top selling because global companies like mine ONLY allow BB to be used for company email. Many of the other global EPC companies we compete with require the same thing as well. That being sad, it's hard to not be on top and it makes perfect sense. Like I pointed out earlier, BB is PERFECT for my business messenger needs. Flawless even. However, if I'm stuck downtown and need to look up an address online, and map it quickly because I'm trying to get somewhere, I will almost always pick up my iP4.

Someone else said it best, it all depends on what you want to use the phone for. The fact that your a "fanboy" if you happen to prefer one company over the other is just plan ludicrous and childish.
    09-29-10 08:07 AM
    80% of RIM's new user base are consumers, not enterprise. I'm afraid the enterprise arguement doesn't hold up anymore.

RIM is the second top selling because global companies like mine ONLY allow BB to be used for company email.
    09-29-10 08:13 AM
    80% of RIM's new user base are consumers, not enterprise. I'm afraid the enterprise arguement doesn't hold up anymore.
    Well I'd love to see how those numbers are calculated. Is it based on the number of users that aren't under a cooperate account? I know tons of people who can't get a BB paid for by the project/company, but they would like to stay on top of their work so they us their personal phone for work.

Either way, I've made my point. Pissing contest over. If it makes you feel better. RIM is awesome, best phone ever, not sure why I have this crappy iP4. Good Lord...
    09-29-10 08:22 AM
    Makes no difference to me what you use, sweetie. I was merely pointing out a statistic for you.

Btw, they're calculated this way. RIM, in an earnings report earlier this year stated they sold 50mil devices. 80% of new customers were consumers, so 40mil consumer devices for the year. You can probably find it on google.

Everything I've said in this thread releates to marketing, specifically marketing to the consumer. Your particular choice of device has no bearing here. So why make it about that?

Well I'd love to see how those numbers are calculated. Is it based on the number of users that aren't under a cooperate account? I know tons of people who can't get a BB paid for by the project/company, but they would like to stay on top of their work so they us their personal phone for work.

Either way, I've made my point. Pissing contest over. If it makes you feel better. RIM is awesome, best phone ever, not sure why I have this crappy iP4. Good Lord...
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-29-10 at 08:34 AM.
    09-29-10 08:25 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD