Ouch! The T-Mobile price tag is way HARSH!

$249.99 for plastic, huh!? I love BB's, but that is a bit much. It really should be $99.99 if anything since AT&T is $49.99.
    11-02-11 11:59 AM
    yeah I would be willing to do $100, but $250? nope if its the true price I guess time to start shopping for a new carrier.
    11-02-11 12:06 PM
    And that's only after a $50 rebate, I haven't done the math but I'm sure tmo plans aren't that much cheaper than At&t's to warrant putting that much extra on the price of the handset

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 12:08 PM
    And that's only after a $50 rebate, I haven't done the math but I'm sure tmo plans aren't that much cheaper than At&t's to warrant putting that much extra on the price of the handset

I would suggest you do the math. The last time I did, the AT&T plan was a whole lot more than $200 extra over a two year period. I think it was about $1000 more.

I just ran a quick comparison. With AT&T you get 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night and weekend minutes, unlimited text and 2GB of data for $85 a month before tax and $50 for the phone. Total over two years is $2,090. TMO gives two options and the cheapest is the value plan. This gives you 500 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited text and 2 GB of data for $50 a month. The phone would cost you full price so we can assume high and say $600. The total over two years is $1,800. So you save about $290 before tax or $390 if the phone comes in at $500. Plus you get more minutes.
    Last edited by D_March; 11-02-11 at 12:29 PM.
    11-02-11 12:15 PM
    I would suggest you do the math. The last time I did, the AT&T plan was a whole lot more than $200 extra over a two year period. I think it was about $1000 more.
    Wowza, that's crazy, can't be mad when you look at it that way

11-02-11 12:20 PM
    Wowza, that's crazy, can't be mad when you look at it that way

I edited my post above with more accurate information.
    11-02-11 12:35 PM
    Actually, there new plan is 49.99 unlimited everything (2GB of data, not unlimited). However, you must pay for the phone at full-price which is probably 499.99, but they would break down the price into 24 months/payments (2 years). So monthly bill will be 50.00 plus 15.00 extra every month for the device. Once again, it depends on the full retail price of the phone. Some are an extra 10.00 a month, some are 15.00, and maybe even 20 if you get the HTC Amaze. I hate their new plans. I think 49.99 is great, but there is always a catch and in this case, there is defnitely a catch.

If you get the T-Mobile Classic Plan, it is 79.99 a month unlimited everything with a discount on the phone. This is the policy every other carrier has. If you do the math between the old classic plan and their new plan, you end up saving 15 bucks once you hit 2 years. Either way, it is not much of a big difference. One option requires a small payment up front and the other requires a bigger payment. With AT&T, customers always lose out money wise. If T-Mobile had the Torch at $49.99 with their unlimited plan, then the customers would truly win out in this particular scenario.

Quote: It is what it is.
    nccjones likes this.
    11-02-11 12:52 PM
    So I would have to do math to save about $200-$300 in a two year period. Makes no sense (though thanks for the break down..that was very good). My point is...why not try to draw in customers by giving a price more reasonable in these hard times? They still didn't have to sell for $49. Heck, I was expecting $149. I myself always planned to buy full price and was hoping for $449.

With so many people going to Android and iPhone, you would think the companies would try to pull people to Blackberries with a decent price. $300 up front (rebate is a $50 TMobile Visa card and takes about two months to get) is alot to ask from people a this point.
    MSGPresident likes this.
    11-02-11 01:50 PM
    Yeah, the $249.99 after MIB is a pretty big slap to the face compared to AT&T's pricing at a glance. Sure, there may be math behind it but the average consumer isn't going to research it and T-Mobile's not going to take the time to justify it. After seeing the price for the Bold 9900 I had high hopes for the Torch. Now I'm just sad
    nccjones likes this.
    11-02-11 02:09 PM
    I was just waiting to see how this would be priced. Since I am on the EMP plus plan I can't switch to a Classic plan and would have go Value if I want to do payments. With either of the plans I would have to pay the subsidized price of 299 but on the value plan I would also bei paying NYC sales tax on 599. I don't think the MIR is available for Value plans. I have three lines that have been out of contract for months and I don't want to bind myself to a two year contract given the merger uncertainty.
    11-02-11 02:59 PM
    T-Mobile is known for over charging on blackberry's.

Dont get me wrong, tmobile is a great company with great ANDROID phones, but for anything else, its either over priced, crappy reception, or just poor choice.
    11-02-11 03:17 PM
    I was in the T-Mobile store today and the 3 customers all had BlackBerrys (two 9900s and a 9700). It was kind of weird because all 3 of us looked at each other like we were 3 of the only remaining people on earth. I was shocked to see that they had a working model of the 9810, but of course "didn't know about pricing." I played with the Torch for a while, typing, swiping through menus, and it feels and looks great. I just have a hard time with knowing that it will be $300+ tax out the door. I don't want the 9810 as badly as I wanted the 9900, so I'm hoping T-Mobile does one of their weird 4hours-in-the-middle-of-the-night web sales where new customers and people eligible for upgrades can get some of their phones at a huge discount. Crossing fingers...hard..
    11-03-11 02:16 AM
    I can't wait 2 get this phone next week when it comes out 4 T-Mobile. I'm still bummed about the hefty price tag!

11-04-11 11:06 PM
    That is CRAZY over priced. I got mine on sale with a 3 year contract for 1 cent.
    11-04-11 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD