There have been 3 beta OS updates for the 9800 in the last week or two. When can we expect AT&T and BB to release an actual update??
    09-20-10 06:16 PM
    Some say next year.
    09-20-10 06:18 PM
    RIM(maker of BlackBerry products) does NOT release firmware updates. It is the carriers responsibility to do so. It's also their responsibility to make sure what they release is bug free and doesn't cause any problems for users, especially corporate users.

RIM writes, tests the code then puts it up on the portal for Carriers, Partners & ISV's to test & certify. Unlike many overseas carriers, AT&T doesn't release updates frequently or loosely. What may seem find to the regular customer could cause a host of problems on the BES side and make many customers angry as well as lose them $$. Their standards are high and when they release an update, it's a good one.

If AT&T was the only Carrier to sell the 9800, there would not have been one leak yet. But because the 9800 will be sold around the world on multiple carriers, you get the leaks. More people testing equal more opportunities for leaks. There is nothing different between a leak and an Official update except that one is labeled "Official".
    09-20-10 06:46 PM
    RIM(maker of BlackBerry products) does NOT release firmware updates. It is the carriers responsibility to do so. It's also their responsibility to make sure what they release is bug free and doesn't cause any problems for users, especially corporate users.

RIM writes, tests the code then puts it up on the portal for Carriers, Partners & ISV's to test & certify. Unlike many overseas carriers, AT&T doesn't release updates frequently or loosely. What may seem find to the regular customer could cause a host of problems on the BES side and make many customers angry as well as lose them $$. Their standards are high and when they release an update, it's a good one.

If AT&T was the only Carrier to sell the 9800, there would not have been one leak yet. But because the 9800 will be sold around the world on multiple carriers, you get the leaks. More people testing equal more opportunities for leaks. There is nothing different between a leak and an Official update except that one is labeled "Official".
    I have heard you say this many times - and of course it is correct - but I put in bold a part that has me wondering this question: Why did AT&T release the phone with .141!!
    09-20-10 06:53 PM
    I have heard you say this many times - and of course it is correct - but I put in bold a part that has me wondering this question: Why did AT&T release the phone with .141!!
    First off, it's not like 141 was completely horrible or like .75 was for the Storm 1. yes it wasn't great, but it didn't make the device not function/have serious problems.

The main reason is that at the time(time to be able to test, cert, flash ALL devices to be sold, & train employees) it was the best release available. This is due in part to contractual agreements between RIM and AT&T and a pre-determined rel date. Look for a release from AT&T soon after the Canadian carriers launch..
    09-20-10 07:01 PM
    First off, it's not like 141 was completely horrible or like .75 was for the Storm 1. yes it wasn't great, but it didn't make the device not function/have serious problems.

The main reason is that at the time(time to be able to test, cert, flash ALL devices to be sold, & train employees) it was the best release available. This is due in part to contractual agreements between RIM and AT&T and a pre-determined rel date. Look for a release from AT&T soon after the Canadian carriers launch..
    Thanks for the insight - I have read many posts from people who were about to return the Torch but it was saved by an upgrade to .214.

Personally, upgrading to .161 made a huge difference for me - though it was buggier - it was faster. I honestly think, however, that if I had wiped and reinstalled .141 it would be made a big difference too. I was having these 1-2 second hangups all the time - no hourglass just frozen - and I had deleted all the crap I didn't want (social feeds/podcasts/twitter/etc.).

My good friend bought the Torch - coming from an iPhone 3G that he HATED ever since installing iOS4 on it - and he does not like the Torch - he says it lags like crazy. I have kept him onboard by convincing him that when he gets a chance to let me upgrade him to .225 he'll find it much better.

Based on the sentiment I'm hearing around this forum, RIM and AT&T would have been much better off finding a way to release the phone - even if delayed a week or two - with .214 or .225 or something similar. As someone who works in the financial world, however, I know that is easier said than done. I just think it was a mistake to let it happen.

.141 was not bad - but it was not good either.
    09-20-10 07:17 PM
    AT&T HAD to release it ON TIME, and not too far from the iPhone 4 launch, even if the software wasn't quite ready for prime time...
    I would go ahead with the first official OS update, or use a leaked one soon, if you want to enjoy the phone- don't wait for AT&T.
    09-20-10 10:49 PM
    AT&T HAD to release it ON TIME, and not too far from the iPhone 4 launch, even if the software wasn't quite ready for prime time...
    HA ... Apple does that all the time. Not an Apple hater here ... I have a house full of Macs (and one XP laptop on standby). My wife has a 3GS, and it seems like they're constantly issuing fixes for garbage that made it into a release. And every software upgrade causes at least one new annoying issue, but she loves it anyway. Luckily it's not up for an upgrade until next year, or else there might be an iPhone 4 out in my driveway in many hundreds of little iPhone 4 pieces. Hopefully they get that all sorted before hers totally craps out.
    09-20-10 11:26 PM
    I would go ahead with the first official OS update, or use a leaked one soon, if you want to enjoy the phone- don't wait for AT&T.
    The VAST majority of users do not visit these forums and have no clue how to update to a leaked OS. If they're lucky they update to the latest AT&T - which is only once in a blue moon - if they're lucky.
    09-21-10 09:04 AM
    OS6 is in testing with a number of carriers and apparently a lot of point releases are being rejected as insufficient.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 09:29 AM
    I would like to update my 9800 with the latest leak. Can someone point me to the place on these forums that would tell me where i can download it and instructions on how to load it?
    Thanks
    09-21-10 09:33 AM
    09-21-10 09:40 AM
    My bet is still between now and Thanksgiving as we have now seen three leaked OS versions. There may be one or two more leaked version to test tweaks to the OS. So, we sit patiently waiting...I know that I could update with one of the leaked versions but I am a creature of habit and stick with the "official" carrier updates.
    09-21-10 09:51 AM
    My bet is still between now and Thanksgiving as we have now seen three leaked OS versions. There may be one or two more leaked version to test tweaks to the OS. So, we sit patiently waiting...I know that I could update with one of the leaked versions but I am a creature of habit and stick with the "official" carrier updates.
    I was very much the same way, especially with past phones. And, with this phone being so pricey (to my budget), I was pretty nervous. However, after seeing all the rave reviews about the leaks, I went to the dark side and I will never turn back. I'm running .246 now with zero issues, and the issues which I was having with .141 are looonnnggg gone.
    09-21-10 09:54 AM
    Thanks for the insight - I have read many posts from people who were about to return the Torch but it was saved by an upgrade to .214.

Personally, upgrading to .161 made a huge difference for me - though it was buggier - it was faster. I honestly think, however, that if I had wiped and reinstalled .141 it would be made a big difference too. I was having these 1-2 second hangups all the time - no hourglass just frozen - and I had deleted all the crap I didn't want (social feeds/podcasts/twitter/etc.).

My good friend bought the Torch - coming from an iPhone 3G that he HATED ever since installing iOS4 on it - and he does not like the Torch - he says it lags like crazy. I have kept him onboard by convincing him that when he gets a chance to let me upgrade him to .225 he'll find it much better.

Based on the sentiment I'm hearing around this forum, RIM and AT&T would have been much better off finding a way to release the phone - even if delayed a week or two - with .214 or .225 or something similar. As someone who works in the financial world, however, I know that is easier said than done. I just think it was a mistake to let it happen.

.141 was not bad - but it was not good either.
    You also have to keep in mind that the 9800 did NOT go through AT&T's regular testing procedures. It was kept secret from many employee's and long time field testers. Hence why there were a few issues at launch.

There's been 4 leaks; 161, 214, 225 & 246 ))
    09-21-10 10:29 AM
    There's been 4 leaks; 161, 214, 225 & 246 ))
    Sorry..my bad..still...a half dozen leaks, the four already released and one or two more, especially on an almost weekly basis with the last couple or three can only mean that AT&T should be releasing an "official" version soon.
    09-21-10 10:39 AM
    RIM does NOT release firmware updates.
    true...kind of. rim develops and releases software for it's products. rim then makes the software available to wireless carriers who then choose to adopt and release the software to their consumers.

os5.0, for instance, was developed and released in late 2009. in that the release contained signficant changes in both appearance and performance, it received some pre-release fanfare...at least, something beyond the norm for rim. at the time of release, the u.s. wireless carriers hardly acknowledged os5.0 publicly. att even claimed, incorrectly, os5.0 did not affect existing products. att did not make os5.0 publicly available until august 2010 - quietly.

previously, consumers would go to blackberry.com to access device software. one would then choose their carrier and be directed to the carrier's site to upgrade software via the dm. rim has made it easier to access device software. now all carrier websites area vailable at blackberry.com, so, if an official software is available, one can access/download the one of their choice.

i think it true, if you choose to wait on att, we may be well into 2011 before an office software upgrade is available for the torch. the device not being available outside the u.s., for now, .141 will be the only official software for now. when the torch is available elsewhere, other official versions of the software will be available and it will be the user's choice as to what software they use.
    09-21-10 05:02 PM
    previously, consumers would go to blackberry.com to access device software. one would then choose their carrier and be directed to the carrier's site to upgrade software via the dm. rim has made it easier to access device software. now all carrier websites area vailable at blackberry.com, so, if an official software is available, one can access/download the one of their choice.
    There's nothing different in what you've said here. Anyone has always been able to go to blackberry.com and select any carrier and download whichever software they choose. The point CX was making is that RIM does not specifically release the OS to the consumers, the carriers do. Blackberry.com simply provides a portal to all the different carriers' download sites.
    09-21-10 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD