Ok, I've managed to change the alt + caps + h screen to show me the engineering screen etc. used the calculator etc. and created the profile under utilities - session manager - uma options

3GPP rev 6. - unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk UNC, port: 14001, SEGW addr: singlephone.orange.co.uk, SEGW certificate: Equifax... , UMA protocol: UMA v 1.0.3

Phone instantly conencted through UMA mode. Did a restart of my phone and done another one just now, it won't connect in UMA mode anymore? Checked the profile and it's correct as per this thread - How to access a BlackBerry's UMA screens | Enterprise | Real World Computing | PC Pro

Also, does anyone know how to revert the screen after to the standard one?

Any help? Thanks.
    Last edited by markpaulk; 10-07-10 at 07:10 AM.
    10-07-10 07:00 AM
    the screen will go back to the default one after the time you set in the javascript code, so if you set it to 3 days, it will revert back after 3 days i think! Sucks that it's not holding though, was going to do this to my own but may well see how it pans out for you, sorry dude :P
    10-07-10 08:37 AM
    thanks mate
    10-07-10 10:28 AM
    hmmm..

I have now lost the UMA after 4 days of it working.

I just checked the settings and it had reverted to the same as you.

I've just reset it and am waiting on a battery pull.
    10-07-10 03:50 PM
    UMA is now back after battery pull.
    10-07-10 03:53 PM
    Mine is intermittent but its not a big deal for me.

Have you guys had any issues with the Podcast App not working after connecting to DM?
    10-07-10 05:49 PM
    Right im gonna bite the bullet and throw these settings in... when I have my timely poo on the back toilet, i lose signal haha!!

after a restart it has also gone for me, but my internet at this sort of time is absolutely atrocious. Will check in the morning! Although while it was working I dialled 150 as a test, and it switched straight to GPRS as the call came on :/

edit: rebooted and turned the pref to wifi only, and now it's just saying OFF. Well, as I say I should give it a while! What did you guys put in for the name? The guide says you can leave it blank but it wouldnt let me so I just put 'Orange'
    Last edited by weezul; 10-07-10 at 07:19 PM.
    10-07-10 06:54 PM
    What OS version you running? .246

1/ Get to the engineering main screen
    2/ click mobile network enginnering screens
    3/ click Utilities
    4/ Click Session Manager
    5/ hit blackberry key and select UMA Options
    6/ Hit Blackberry key and New
    7/ Display name = Factory Provisions
    8/ Operator name = Orange
    9/ UMA Protocol = UMA V 1.0.3 (this is defaulty any way)
    10/ Take tick out of use default UNC address
    11/ Enter UNC address 'unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk'
    12/ Provisioning UNC port '14001' think that's default anyway
    13/ Take tick out of box for use default provisioning SEGW Address
    14/ Enter SEGW address 'singlephone.orange.co.uk'
    15/ SEGW certificate select 'Equifax Secure Certificate Authority'
    16/ Hit blackberry key and select save
    17/ come out of engineering screen and go to options Mobile Network, here you should have a new item 'Connection Preference' select either Wifi preferred or mobile network prefered, save changes and come back to home screen do a battery pull.

Have you tried the Podcast App yet.....or am I the only person with it changing to the non download version...
    10-08-10 01:24 PM
    If you refer to my post DerKane, I already posted that I've followed those steps and it worked first time around but doesn't connect anymore. Thanks though.
    10-08-10 04:59 PM
    If you refer to my post DerKane, I already posted that I've followed those steps and it worked first time around but doesn't connect anymore. Thanks though.
    I know that Orange have a limited number of UMA licences. I'm guessing you've seen it mentioned UMA only connects if you flip to 2G?

Tbh I'm a bit lost with why you can't connect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 05:04 PM
    I'm guessing you've seen it mentioned UMA only connects if you flip to 2G?
    That was always the case with my Bold 9700 that it would only connect if it was going from 2G but the Torch will connect from 3G as well as 2G.

I never used to connect to UMA at work as I had a 3G signal but by the time I hit my home Wi-Fi i had a very weak 2G signal so it always picked up. The Torch connects from 3G at work soon as it hits the Wi-Fi coverage.
    10-09-10 11:09 AM
    Just out of interest, if I were abroad, would i be able to make wi-fi calls and texts using UMA and avoid international calling charges?
    10-09-10 12:24 PM
    My understanding is ....

If you are abroad and you connect via UMA then anything done on the phone will be the same as if it was done in your home country.

Calls and texts will come from your normal allowance and not incur roaming and data will be via Wi-Fi so again won't incur roaming.

Be careful to ensure that you are using UMA and Wi-Fi and not the mobile network to connect as that could turn out a very costly mistake.
    10-09-10 07:07 PM
    Cheers. Thanks for that Mark.
    10-10-10 12:57 PM
    pardon my ignorance, but what dos UMA do? I've currently got that on the top right of my torch
    10-12-10 04:06 PM
    Your calls, data and text will go through your WiFi connection as opposed to using the cellular tower - but you still use up your calls/texts allowance by doing this - your internet usage does not apply I don't think.

Ok I've discovered the problem with UMA not connecting. For SOME REASON it keeps changing the provision to UMA v1.0.3 from 3GPP - despite me saving it connects to UMA then as soon as I'm out of my home and I return, the UMA profile has reverted to UMA v1.0.3 - why does this keep happening?! battery pulls and so fourth have not helped :/
    10-12-10 06:09 PM
    Yeah, I'm getting same problem. Luckily I did the engineering screen for 30 days so I just hop in and change it its no big deal.
    One thing that has happened though is that when using UMA my call has dropped. It's happened twice, I don't know if its because my lad was hammering the xbox and the internet connection was getting hammered, but the call was dropped.
    The other thing is I've just signed up to the T-Mobile use of their antennas, so there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes at orange, so I don't really know what to think, as its hard to pinpoint an actual reason, for UMA resetting and dropped call using UMA.
    I'm wondering if the peeps who bought an orange branded TORCH are having the same problem.
    Mine was from phones4u on an orange contract, but the phone is totally unlocked (nice).
    I think we will get an update to the OS which will fix this issue (fingers crossed)

Your calls, data and text will go through your WiFi connection as opposed to using the cellular tower - but you still use up your calls/texts allowance by doing this - your internet usage does not apply I don't think.

Ok I've discovered the problem with UMA not connecting. For SOME REASON it keeps changing the provision to UMA v1.0.3 from 3GPP - despite me saving it connects to UMA then as soon as I'm out of my home and I return, the UMA profile has reverted to UMA v1.0.3 - why does this keep happening?! battery pulls and so fourth have not helped :/
    10-12-10 06:35 PM
    pardon my ignorance, but what dos UMA do? I've currently got that on the top right of my torch
    'Unrestricted Mobile Access'

Weezul gave a good description up above.
    10-12-10 06:37 PM
    It is actually "Unlicensed Mobile Access", referring to the use of the 2.4 Ghz radio spectrum that is used by equipment not regulated by the government agencies responsible for radio frequency assignments.

That mean there can be interference between competing devices, like Wifi routers, operating in the close proximity to each other.
    10-13-10 04:58 PM
    Yeah, I'm getting same problem. Luckily I did the engineering screen for 30 days so I just hop in and change it its no big deal.
    One thing that has happened though is that when using UMA my call has dropped. It's happened twice, I don't know if its because my lad was hammering the xbox and the internet connection was getting hammered, but the call was dropped.
    The other thing is I've just signed up to the T-Mobile use of their antennas, so there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes at orange, so I don't really know what to think, as its hard to pinpoint an actual reason, for UMA resetting and dropped call using UMA.
    I'm wondering if the peeps who bought an orange branded TORCH are having the same problem.
    Mine was from phones4u on an orange contract, but the phone is totally unlocked (nice).
    I think we will get an update to the OS which will fix this issue (fingers crossed)
    I only just got my Torch and this morning had UMA, made calls using it etc. Tonight I have no UMA whatsoever (this is on an orange branded phone). I also signed up for the T-Mobile roaming option and am wondering if that messed it up.
    10-13-10 05:24 PM
    Got UMA back after a battery pull!
    10-13-10 05:37 PM
    just to chime in.. mine's been solid. All the time at home i'm on UMA. Mine also reverted to a different version, the first time. I went back in and realized it did not set itself to the 3GPP thingy, and after doing it once more and probably a battery pull it's been fine. Now WiFi music sync, there's another new game haha
    10-13-10 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD