I am well within my 30 day period, it's only been 7 days. Just want some opinions on the build quality of my Torch.

Everything is working well software-wise. I have two minor issues:

1. Creaking Blackberry button
    2. When the top part of my slider is open, there is some slight play.

I have heard all of these issues from other people on here, and just want to know if I should even bother, is there such a thing as a perfectly built Torch? My 9000 was a tank...
    10-07-10 02:43 PM
    Unless the issue is truly noticeable, I would not but you are the one that has to use it. If there are no other issues, then keep it. No such thing as perfect but it sounds like your is fine.
    10-07-10 02:56 PM
    Yeah it sounds like it's nothing BUT since you are within your 30 days I'd use it another weed to 10 days and monitor it closely and if anything starts acting funny I'd be at the store asking for another Torch! IF YOU DON'T then that is the phone you are going to have to live with!

What ever you decide to do... Good luck!
    10-07-10 03:03 PM
    Mine has the 2 issues listed, not a big problem at all and unless it starts interfering with the functionality of the phone, I wouldn't risk swapping a perfectly functional phone for one that could have more severe creaks/play, or even worse, hardware problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 03:10 PM
    Mine also has those 2 issues. They do bug me a little, but not enough to exchange. Plus you never know what probs a new device might have (have seen people here who exchanged and then wished they had their original device back...)
    10-07-10 03:28 PM
    The creaking button I wouldn't really worry about (unless it's insanely bad or something). Buttons across many devices develop creaks, even other BB's and non BB devices.

As for the play, I dunno. I wouldn't mind some slight play and probably wouldn't exchange it. So far my torch screen does not move at all when open though. Worth noting that a case could actually cause something like this to happen...
    10-07-10 03:29 PM
    The creaking button I wouldn't really worry about (unless it's insanely bad or something). Buttons across many devices develop creaks, even other BB's and non BB devices.

As for the play, I dunno. I wouldn't mind some slight play and probably wouldn't exchange it. So far my torch screen does not move at all when open though. Worth noting that a case could actually cause something like this to happen...
    Funny that you mention that about the play, because it did SLIGHTLY have this problem and then I got a plastic case for it and it made it much worse. I have since removed to top piece of the case.
    10-07-10 03:46 PM
    Yeah the problem with the case is it essentially forces the slider apart. Then you remove it and now its loose

10-07-10 03:54 PM
    I have the loose slider as well, not enought for me to return my phone. The problem I do have is that my batery life doesn't seem to be great, phone on for 8 hours, not much use at all and down to 60%. Anyone have this poor of battery?

10-07-10 04:10 PM
    See I've got a weird issue with my silver bezel above the camera, it pops out on the one said because of that, my lock button makes a weird cracking sound as it shifts into place and doesn't always work. I think I'm gonna take it back and see what they say.
    10-07-10 04:13 PM
    I am well within my 30 day period, it's only been 7 days. Just want some opinions on the build quality of my Torch.

Everything is working well software-wise. I have two minor issues:

1. Creaking Blackberry button
    2. When the top part of my slider is open, there is some slight play.

I have heard all of these issues from other people on here, and just want to know if I should even bother, is there such a thing as a perfectly built Torch? My 9000 was a tank...
    ok i have these two issuse as well and a huge battery problem...
    I charged my battery last night it was @ 100% this morning when my alarm went on my phone turned on and i had a bbm msg, i replied and went back to sleep woke up two hours later and my battery was at 86% after that it just started to drain..i only have twitter and thats set to refresh at every hour....i close all my apps and my browser. i have social feeds off, and also with my screen set to 10% and dims after 20 seconds
    im happy with my device even with the creaking button but this battery issue really makes me call and get a swap....should I???
    10-07-10 04:49 PM
    ok i have these two issuse as well and a huge battery problem...
    I charged my battery last night it was @ 100% this morning when my alarm went on my phone turned on and i had a bbm msg, i replied and went back to sleep woke up two hours later and my battery was at 86% after that it just started to drain..i only have twitter and thats set to refresh at every hour....i close all my apps and my browser. i have social feeds off, and also with my screen set to 10% and dims after 20 seconds
    im happy with my device even with the creaking button but this battery issue really makes me call and get a swap....should I???
    How's the service at your house?
    10-07-10 07:53 PM
    How's the service at your house?
    I have never had a dropped call and its always full bars...i dont know what to do. The battery is just brutal, do u think its the battery?
    10-07-10 08:22 PM
    what OS are u running... although even with the stock 141 i never heard of a battery that bad. i get easily 2 days with moderate use on whats now stock os 246
    10-07-10 08:35 PM
    what OS are u running... although even with the stock 141 i never heard of a battery that bad. i get easily 2 days with moderate use on whats now stock os 246
    .246 came with Rogers and all Canadian carriers
    10-07-10 08:44 PM
    There's a good chance you just got a bum battery. The first battery I had would go from full charge at 5:30am to almost dead by noon. That was with pretty moderate usage as the phone was new and I couldn't put it down. Got another battery and today for example, off the charger @ 5:30am and as of now (6:50pm) I'm still over 50% with moderate usage. I'd suggest getting a different battery.

10-07-10 08:47 PM
    Any slider phone is going to have SOME play in it. It is essential to the smooth operation of the mechanism.

Mine has slight play, maybe 0.5mm. If anyone has a slider that is "perfectly tight with zero play" right now, won't be able to say that a month or two down the road.

10-07-10 08:49 PM
    .246 came with Rogers and all Canadian carriers
    Its also the official OS from ATT. i would assume any new devices coming from ATT have .246 on them also. unless its old stock.
    I had just assumed that 90% of the people with a torch now have .246 or .225(some are finding it a tad more stable then others)

As for the OP's post, I dont think i would bother.. all are going to have play over time, its a matter of asking yourself, "is it bad enough that it will bother me or not?" If it is then replace it. Mine has some play in it as i think over time all will(nature of a slider). I just deal with it.
    10-07-10 09:03 PM
    Mine has the 2 issues listed, not a big problem at all and unless it starts interfering with the functionality of the phone, I wouldn't risk swapping a perfectly functional phone for one that could have more severe creaks/play, or even worse, hardware problems.

Thats exactly what happened to me. Went down hill from there. Ended up with a 9700 after all the frustration. Should have kept the original.
    10-07-10 09:11 PM
    I learned a long time ago that their is no such thing as the perfect device. All of them will have a slight play or develop one with use. Mine has some play when its closed but I just hold the phone a certain way and it solves the problem.

I have driven myself crazy trying to find the perfect 9700. Wobbly track pad, screen ripples, too much light shining through the keyboard, sticky keys, etc. Return it if you must, but chances are your next device will have a more annoying problem.

10-07-10 09:46 PM
    Well, I got a new Torch last night.

Rogers exchange policy is absolutely ridiculous, it took over 2 hours after all was said and done.

BUT, my new torch is sturdy and the buttons make no noise. HOO-RAY!
    10-08-10 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD