why are the buttons all directly under each other? all keyboards are offset diagonally but this one isn't...

it kind of makes typing awful?
    09-17-10 10:19 PM
    I have no problems with it ... Maybe it takes some time to get used to

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 10:21 PM
    I have no problems with it ... Maybe it takes some time to get used to

that could be it I guess. I'm just so used to EVERY keyboard I use being offset lol.
    09-17-10 10:26 PM
    I just use the 'surepress' mode w/ predictive text. And blaze thru texts, websites ect.

09-17-10 10:31 PM
    Which OS are you using? .214 had lag for the on screen keyboards
    09-17-10 11:13 PM
    I just use the 'surepress' mode w/ predictive text. And blaze thru texts, websites ect.

How do you turn on 'surepress' mode?
    09-17-10 11:15 PM
    for sure type keypad do
    options -typing and input - keyboard - Portrait - reduced

I always use suretype for onscreen typing. Its very conveinent to me but yes, it lags upto some level. It was very fast on strom2. Lets see, in later OS releases it would be addressed. Currently, i am on OS .215.
    09-17-10 11:36 PM
    for sure type keypad do
    options -typing and input - keyboard - Portrait - reduced

I always use suretype for onscreen typing. Its very conveinent to me but yes, it lags upto some level. It was very fast on strom2. Lets see, in later OS releases it would be addressed. Currently, i am on OS .215.
    Thanks~ I'll try it out
    09-17-10 11:44 PM
    The OS141 was made the virtual keyboard very difficult to use; many mistakes and my fingers are small. But once i upgraded to OS225, WOW. Huge difference. Now I type 200x better which maybe because with the upgrades the letter popups are much bigger.
    09-17-10 11:51 PM
    You can also just switch between keyboards quickly by clicking the BB button. The option to switch keyboards is in the side menu.

09-18-10 12:16 AM
    its not that much different from the iphone... the top line is the only line not in line with the the other rows. For RIM to adjust it on the torch and its screen size you're either going to suffer with smaller on screen buttons (which would be worse) or lose out on the extra on screen options and waste space (which is just as bad) - I really don't think you're losing out to much on ergonomics especially with an hardware keyboard in tow. Just like someone else said, I think its more about getting use to it just like someone does when they move from a hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard. Apparently the leak OS for the torch has improved the virtual typing

or the landscape keyboard and if you've come from a storm it shouldn't be much different now with lag issues 'virtually' gone.
    Last edited by zensen; 09-18-10 at 07:42 AM.
    09-18-10 07:38 AM
    If you look at the Bold 9700 keyboard by example. You can see that there is no offset either and I don't have any problem typing on that one. But I haven't tried the onscreen keyboard of the Torch yet.

09-18-10 08:43 AM
    OP-I would suggest upgraded the OS if you haven't already. Big improvement. Typing for me was a bit weird with 141 but I upgraded to 214 and the weirdness went away.
    09-18-10 08:56 AM
    what is the difference between the 141 keyboard and the 214 keyboard? is the set up differnt?

having coming from the captivate directly before switching back to BB and getting a torch, i think the on screen keyboard is awesome. i think BB did a really good job, it is a good size, my mistakes have been minimal, and the predictive text has been superb. i was using swype for a minute on android, and i sometimes find myself trying to swipe to text lol, i wish they would make that available for BB. in any case, i think the BB touch keyboard just takes getting used to. the captivate was much larger, but maybe a little too large. but then again, i have child sized hands... :-P
    09-18-10 09:25 AM
    I'm getting used to it now. I guess coming from an iPhone you get so used to it's virtual keyboard, but the Torch's isn't so bad once you get used to it.
    09-18-10 09:41 AM
    The suretype keyboard is the way to go. I used it with my EVO and it really made a difference. I want a Torch so badly though.

09-18-10 10:32 AM
    The suretype keyboard is the way to go. I used it with my EVO and it really made a difference. I want a Torch so badly though.

you should TOTALLY go for it then! MUCH better battery life and just an all around amazing device
    09-18-10 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD