So I've had my 9800 for one week today. There are several really annoying things that I can't figure out how to remedy:

Sound (tones) - I keep the setting on "Loud" but all sounds are extremely hard to hear. I also have not been able to even change the indicator tones. I get them changed, everything looks good but they don't actually stick. Have tried giving special tones to contacts - nope.

Text messages - After I read a text message I exit out to the main screen. When I get a reply text from a person and go there the screen is 10-15 messages up so I have to scroll down to the current message. The only way I can prevent this is to keep the message open. Sooooooo annoying.

Network settings - Every time I pick up my Blackberry my thumb hits the top of the screen an pulls up the network settings. How often do you need the network settings that this has to be a hot spot on the top of the screen?
    09-08-10 09:20 AM
    I'd return it then, unhappy torch owner. go back to the 9000 and all is happy again
    09-08-10 10:00 AM
    I'm not sure what to tell you about the ringtones -- I can hear them fine and I can permanently change them -- but the text message problem is a known bug that's still there after two OS updates and the Manage Connections annoyance is just that, an annoyance.
    09-08-10 10:00 AM
    I'd return it then, unhappy torch owner. go back to the 9000 and all is happy again
    I had the 9700. Could never go back to the 9000 again.
    09-08-10 10:03 AM
    So I've had my 9800 for one week today. There are several really annoying things that I can't figure out how to remedy:

Sound (tones) - I keep the setting on "Loud" but all sounds are extremely hard to hear. I also have not been able to even change the indicator tones. I get them changed, everything looks good but they don't actually stick. Have tried giving special tones to contacts - nope.

Text messages - After I read a text message I exit out to the main screen. When I get a reply text from a person and go there the screen is 10-15 messages up so I have to scroll down to the current message. The only way I can prevent this is to keep the message open. Sooooooo annoying.

Network settings - Every time I pick up my Blackberry my thumb hits the top of the screen an pulls up the network settings. How often do you need the network settings that this has to be a hot spot on the top of the screen?
    Sounds - mine are plenty loud for me - I have them set to 10 volume. It's all relative though. If you really think there's something wrong I'd go to a store and play the same sound on your Torch and on a display Torch (both with the same volume settings) and see if there's something wrong with your speaker.

The text message bug will hopefully be fixed soon in a OS update.

The network settings thing has never been an issue for me but I have heard lots of complaints. I am guessing RIM will make it require a press and hold in an OS update which will make the problem go away.

The sounds issue is definitely something I hope you fix but the other two are minor and the network settings thing you'll probably get used to avoiding if you make an effort.

Good luck!
    09-08-10 10:05 AM
    the only problem out of the 3 you listed that i have experienced is the text messaging one ... but then again .. who uses text messaging anymore? :S

its all about BBM!
    09-08-10 10:13 AM
    i would go back to the 9700.
    09-08-10 10:24 AM

Sounds wasn't an issue for me but I did read people had the issue. I can tell you one thing for sure if you upgrade to the latest os the sounds are a lot louder...i actually had to lower sound volume on everything because the sounds were too loud.

Are you maybe scrolling down and reading several messages? if so by default when you open the messages up again it will be in the last location you left so if you left checking messages on the 5th it will still be there it won't be on todays.

This is a problem lots of people have discussed, obviously locking the device helps but not all that much since a lot of people accidently unlock it. Personally i used berryslider or storm slider they work the best for me and this issue never happens (its an app just like unlockin the iphone so even if the screen is on you can't accidently press buttons). there is another app people use its called pattern lock personally i havent used it but heard people love it just as much its more like the android locking system.

Hope this helps fix some of your issues. Good Luck
    Last edited by erandhawa; 09-08-10 at 11:03 AM.
    09-08-10 10:59 AM
    I don't have the text scroll issue. I used to see it on my storm, but have yet to see it on the torch. I changed from bubbles to stripes and still see no issue to have to scroll down. I don't keep long messages anyways and delete them every few days too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 11:24 AM
    I have the text scroll issue. It's strange though, it only happens with 1 contact of mine. The rest are fine. But, this one contact, it will open in the middle of the text "conversation", if you will, so I always have to scroll to the bottom to see their latest message.

As for locking the screen, I use Keyboard Lock by BEIKS and it works really well and helps me not tap unwanted parts of the screen. You can customize which button you use to unlock it; I have made mine the BB button to unlock, which I have yet to accidentally press and unlock.
    09-08-10 12:20 PM

all your issues were bothering me too but have been corrected with the leaked OS 6.0.0.214 - try it or be content that all kinks will be worked out in newer OS releases.
    09-08-10 12:33 PM
    I'm experiencing the same problems with the text messages. Its amazing how this was not caught in beta testing. How do I get the leaked OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 12:36 PM
    Had the txt msg issue. Read somewhere here to delete all txt messages and it will go away. It did. I now only keep a few txt messages at at time. I save the threads I wanna keep. When it starts happening again, I know its time to delete the txts again. Definitely annoying, but I think its OS6 and how they want you to manage txts.
    09-08-10 12:47 PM
    How do I get the leaked OS?
    Leaked: OS 6.0.0.214 for the BlackBerry Torch 9800 | CrackBerry.com
    09-08-10 01:42 PM
    Had the txt msg issue. Read somewhere here to delete all txt messages and it will go away. It did. I now only keep a few txt messages at at time. I save the threads I wanna keep. When it starts happening again, I know its time to delete the txts again. Definitely annoying, but I think its OS6 and how they want you to manage txts.
    Is there an option to just erase all texts at once. I don't see it anywhere. I'm having the text issue too and its REALLY annoying. I really don't want to delete all my texts but I will do it if it fixes the problem for now.
    09-08-10 01:46 PM
    I can't speak to the other issues not owning a Torch, but I was wondering if the "t" and "b" shortcuts still work while in a SMS conversation. If so press b to get to the bottom of the conversation or t to go to the top.
    09-08-10 01:51 PM
    I had the 9700. Could never go back to the 9000 again.

I loved my 9000. Working on replacing the housing and trackball. Of course, I love my 9700 as well.
    09-08-10 01:57 PM
    I can't speak to the other issues not owning a Torch, but I was wondering if the "t" and "b" shortcuts still work while in a SMS conversation. If so press b to get to the bottom of the conversation or t to go to the top.
    Nope. Texts are chat style (view similar to BBM), so you are automatically placed on a reply line. Pressing T/B, just types T/B.
    09-08-10 02:02 PM
    i hope i don't get that text scrolling issue when i get mine at the end of this month. i can see that becoming very annoying!
    09-08-10 02:18 PM
    i think the latest os fixes text scrolling from what people have been posting.
    09-08-10 03:04 PM
    I changed from bubbles to stripes
    Took Thanontos's advice and changed to stripes and this has helped the text issue.
    09-08-10 03:26 PM
    well what is the latest. cuz i have .141 and bds says i have the latest.
    09-08-10 03:33 PM
    .141 is the latest official. The .214 I linked to above is a leaked "unofficial" OS. Install at your own risk. However, I installed last night and had no issue.

You simply DL the program. Load it to your computer. Plug your phone in and it will tell you there is an updated OS and ask if you would like to install. That particular link includes Desktop Manager, so no need to install DM.
    09-08-10 03:44 PM
    http://crackberry.com/leaked-os-6-0-...rry-torch-9800

located on the first page of the post....basically what you are going to want to do is download the file...install it to your computer and when you connect your Torch to your computer and load desktop manager it will recognize new software available for your phone.

you may need to delete the vendor.xml file but i didn't this last time and it worked fine...if you want to delete it its located at:

c/program files/commonfiles/research in motion/shared/loader files
    09-08-10 04:30 PM
    id rather not install an unofficial release. although if this is confirmed to have fixed that text issue i will be very tempted to do it. how about a setting to limit the amount of texts you can store - like every other non-smartphone
    09-08-10 05:00 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD