Been messing about with it for a couple of hours. I'm loving how fluid the OS is. Got it about setup as I want it now.
    Keyboard isn't as good as my BOLD9000, but I think I've been spoilt with that
    The browsing on this BB is 1000x better than before. The wifi works fantastic (always found that dodgy on my 9000 for some reason).
    Trying to get a full charge in now I'm back home from work.
    Really pleased with it.
    10-01-10 01:41 PM
    May I join the club? I can't wait 9780 any longer so just made upgraded to Torch at phone4u this afternoon. I am on vodafone �35 per month, 24 months - 1000 minutes, text free and BIS, phone4u also buy my contract off after 18 months.

I like the phone, just waiting fully charge before starting use it, so far so god.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 02:06 PM
    Really dont understand how phones4u can offer the phone but orange can't? And whats the point in saying they will buy the contract out at 18 months? Why cant they just offer an 18 month contract?
    10-01-10 04:21 PM
    Oh wow to people getting phones4u to buy off the last 6 months of the contract - think I'm gonna go tomorrow and renegotiate a better deal!
    10-01-10 05:19 PM
    Really dont understand how phones4u can offer the phone but orange can't? And whats the point in saying they will buy the contract out at 18 months? Why cant they just offer an 18 month contract?
    they are essentially re-sellers of orange's contracts. The price goes up by �5 a month for an 18 month contract, so they're essentially bypassing it, hoping people won't remember or won't need to renew before 18 months. However i'll be there on the day if a new better bb is out by then ha

Can't comment on how orange are handling the phone on thier network as I have not put my orange sim in yet. Got my PAC code today though so will get on it probably on monday and let you know if anything goes haywire! Hopefully everything will go smooth and i'll get it cookin with UMA as well. I'll keep you all posted
    10-01-10 06:29 PM
    Anyone got links for a decent case and screen protector?
    10-01-10 07:49 PM
    Phones4u can offer it and Orange don't yet because Phones4u are selling unbranded/unlocked phones.
    10-01-10 08:58 PM
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

ordered this pouch yesterday, should arrive today or monday. I'll let you know if it's legit. I was sceptical but sent him a message and he assured me it was an official RIM pouch, certainly looks like it is. As for screen protection, not sure. Im even worse with screen protectors because I want one that won't leave residue. The chances of me getting it lined up perfectly first time are very very slim haha
    10-02-10 03:39 AM
    well i was lucky enough to walk into a phones4u store and pick-one up today one of the first one's in the country apparently :d so all those people who are waiting for pre-order on vodafone and orange - just forget it and pop into a phones4u :d

came pre-loaded with 6.0.0.246 which was cool so means i don't need to do any os updates afaik.

Takes some getting used to it's a lot chunkier and heavier than compared to bold/curve and ui is obviously different.

Have got it free on orange with the following package: 1200mins, 3000 texts, 750mb internet for �35 a month - which is good considering i was paying �35 for 1200 mins but only 500 texts & 500mb internet on orange.

It's a great phone but i think the bold is a better phone overall. It's more simplistic and lighter weight as well as size makes it's more convenient than this chunk. Biggest thing i miss is being able to press bb button to open a menu - now u have to double-tap to open up all apps - yes you can scroll across the menus but this isn't as smooth and as quick.

Is torch worth getting if you're a 9700 user? I'd say not! Do yourself a favour and get the dreamtorch theme if you can't wait for os6 to roll-out onto 9700.
    hahaha no you wern't, i live in reading and i've had mine for a month already.
    10-02-10 04:41 AM
    Had mine for 3 weeks.
    had mine for 4
    10-02-10 04:43 AM
    That's the real frustration for me. A chavy high street retailer can offer the phone on the country's largest mobile network before the country's largest mobile network can offer it on their own network.
    10-02-10 05:13 AM
    Inside the box there is no Case? like the AT&T version ?
    10-02-10 12:25 PM
    Inside the box there is no Case? like the AT&T version ?
    Nope..no case

I'm using my BOLD9000 case at the moment until I see what weezul says about his.

The magnet on the 9000 case doesn't shut down the 9800, I have to press the top lock button manually.

Is it safe to used the BOLD9000 case???
    10-02-10 12:30 PM
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

ordered this pouch yesterday, should arrive today or monday. I'll let you know if it's legit. I was sceptical but sent him a message and he assured me it was an official RIM pouch, certainly looks like it is. As for screen protection, not sure. Im even worse with screen protectors because I want one that won't leave residue. The chances of me getting it lined up perfectly first time are very very slim haha
    haha.
    thx for the link. prob will order one, or maybe a snap-on case. kinda unsure at the mo.

Screen protectors are available on ebay too.. a quid for 2 is the cheapest.
    10-02-10 12:35 PM
    Here's a great link for screen protectors..

10 Pack Screen LCD Protector for BlackBerry Torch 9800: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Haven't ordered any yet.
    10-02-10 12:48 PM
    Anybody used one of these?

Noreve Tradition A Leather Case for BlackBerry Torch 9800

I think the huge front flapping about when you're on a call would wind me up tbh
    10-02-10 12:54 PM
    Here's a great link for screen protectors..

10 Pack Screen LCD Protector for BlackBerry Torch 9800: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Haven't ordered any yet.
    Are all protectors made equal? I want one of those mental ones tht can't scratch at all! No case today for me, monday I hope!
    I had mixed feelings about phones4u but at the end of the day the QoS is in Oranges hands and its not like p4u make the torch

10-02-10 01:49 PM
    If I were you I wouldn't go rushing to phones4u
    I've heard nothing but bad things regarding post-sale care...repairs technical help etc. Very happy with my voda torch and comfortable knowing I can get a repair at any time

10-02-10 01:53 PM
    Little tip for Vodafone users who pre-ordered on line and are still waiting.

Having realised that all stores have had them for the past few days, I phoned Vodafone CS to ask about my order...... they had no record of it, despite me having the confirmation email with order number.

They said I'd need to wait til Monday before they could investigate what happened to my pre-order ....

Yeah right. I went straight to my local Vodafone store, they had stock, I explained the situation and the guy says you are still eligible for an upgrade which means any pre-order has not been actioned yet. Muppets. Good job I wasn't holding my breathe.

Anyway, now a Torch owner and very happy so far. But if you're sitting at home expecting it to drop through the letterbox .... it may not.

Editted to say, the guy in store said I was 3rd or 4th person with a simialr story since yesterday.
    M.
    Last edited by mjsulliva; 10-02-10 at 03:05 PM. Reason: .
    10-02-10 03:03 PM
    still waiting for this case.. not sure if the post has arrived yet today! Nightmare!
    10-05-10 05:15 AM
    the case arrived today... its legit as far as I can tell, so I suggest all y'all 9800 owners get on it, here's some pictures. Its a very snug fit, perfect really.
    Another thing though, i've had my number ported over but "My Number" on the call screen is still the old number. Is there any way to change this? Thanks

10-06-10 10:45 AM
    your phone must have came from an old batch, all new batches of torch 9800s have the case included, check handtec and superetrader - "in the box - case", you can also buy the case from handtec (and charging dock)
    10-06-10 11:57 AM
    Well that's pretty annoying.

10-06-10 11:59 AM
    Another thing though, i've had my number ported over but "My Number" on the call screen is still the old number. Is there any way to change this? Thanks
    If you do a battery pull it should show your O2 number, otherwise you should be able to change it options, under sim card!
    10-06-10 12:26 PM
    Anyone got links for a decent case and screen protector?
    ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | BlackBerry Torch 9800 Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

This is best screen/body protector I have ever had on a phone. They also offer a lifetime guarantee, so if it ever peels or gets damaged they will send you a free replacement, subject to postage costs.

Discount code; Zagg20 for 20% off
    Last edited by kaibex; 10-06-10 at 12:33 PM.
    10-06-10 12:31 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD