Wife and I both have the torch. She went to the mall the other day and told me that the phone was "dead". The screen was very dim and she could not see it to text etc. As she is new to the smartphone world I figured she just messed something up. Wrong. I was at the same mall and my phone was messed up. Even though it was not set to vib it started to vib as soon as I walked in the mall. I looked at the screen and it was very dark and the manage connection screen was open although I had not opened it. Nothing I did turned the screen on or allowed me to use the phone. Anyone know what could cause this? The mall is near a small airport so some have suggested it has to do with that but I don't buy it as the second I stepped outside everything was fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 09:09 PM
    Almost sounds like they have the mall sealed up crom communication almost. You sure you didn't enter a restricted Zone? Lol
    01-07-11 09:49 PM
    Wife and I both have the torch. She went to the mall the other day and told me that the phone was "dead". The screen was very dim and she could not see it to text etc. As she is new to the smartphone world I figured she just messed something up. Wrong. I was at the same mall and my phone was messed up. Even though it was not set to vib it started to vib as soon as I walked in the mall. I looked at the screen and it was very dark and the manage connection screen was open although I had not opened it. Nothing I did turned the screen on or allowed me to use the phone. Anyone know what could cause this? The mall is near a small airport so some have suggested it has to do with that but I don't buy it as the second I stepped outside everything was fine.

Very strange indeed. The fact that it cleared up when you went outside probably rules out the airport. Unless the airport is real close to the part of the mall where you were at. I've had my 9800 act strange and lose signal inside one of the local hospitals in my area. However it didn't get dim or vibrate. Do you have another type of phone you can try at the mall? Or did your previous phones act up there too?

The manage connection screen using the stock theme is real easy to hit by mistake and kill your connections. Possibly that was happening. I hated that and went with another theme which cleared up that issue.

Other than maybe some real heavy EMI / RMI inside the mall, I can't think of anything that would cause that.
    01-07-11 10:01 PM
    Sounds like that mall is Hunted!

01-08-11 03:19 AM
    This might sound stupid but malls sometimes advertise via bluetooth, if the blueooth was on. Could the phone have malfunctioned due to many signals being received at once. The airport thing is new to me but maybe they don't want their flight directions to planes getting disrupted.

01-08-11 04:35 AM
    Sounds like that mall is Hunted!

yeah, you have to hunt for the good deals.

That is so strange about your phones in mall, never heard of anything like that before.
    Last edited by triniman_604; 01-08-11 at 05:50 AM.
    01-08-11 05:45 AM
    my phone has done this a few times when i take it out the holster... the screen goes so dark you can't see what's on it but its unlocked and doing stuff. Usually just flick it up and down, slide it in and out of the holster and pray the next time the backlight actually turns on. Worrying.
    01-08-11 07:42 AM
    Thanks for the tips. I actually just spoke to a friend and her iphone does the same thing. Neither my wife or I use the stock theme or holster but the blutooth option issue maybe it. Guess it is a good thing that I don't go to the mall much.
    01-08-11 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD