They don't include change logs so we never know exactly what was fixed. I rarely see much difference between versions. People always say it doesn't lag or the browser is faster or battery life is much improved. By now if you believed them the battery would last a week and pages would load faster than the latest Android marvel, you know, the one with the Ghz processor and the battery that lasts 4 hours. I think it's the placebo effect. Apart from the first couple of leaks, there's little improvement to OS or browser speed or battery life that would withstand a scientific test.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Classic.

I really am tired of leaked and official OS threads being littered with posts claiming how battery life and browser speed has improved. They rank right up there with "Downloading now!" There is too much subjectivity involved, not to mention variability (even within use by the same individual with respect to battery life-- and for another thing, you cannot even begin to gauge battery life until probably a good 48 hours has passed since the upgrade). My advise to these people? PUT A SOCK IN IT!
    branflakes likes this.
    05-04-11 08:13 AM
    It's odd, because for me all the browser problems of the .526 and .534 are still present...
    Yes WAP still not right. Can't believe the Carriers approved these. Let hope the batt is as stable as 534.
    What browser issues are we talking about, the text rendering being f**ked up?
    That's what I want to know. I can live with the WAP forum issue of having to double-tap to read, but for me and a bunch of others, .526 and .534 also had that much more serious missing text problem, with blank lines instead of text and hyperlinked text showing up as just linked underlines.

I can't for the life of me figure out why only some of us would experience this, unless those who say they haven't simply don't use their browser as much (because it is one of those on again off again problems).

So: can anybody who had the browser text rendering problem with .526 and/or .534 report whether the problem is still there with this build?

(And RIM, if it is: FOR SHAME! Start putting OSes in Beta Zone, will you, so we can let you know directly that you are f-ing up.)
    05-04-11 08:23 AM
    Classic.

I really am tired of leaked and official OS threads being littered with posts claiming how battery life and browser speed has improved. They rank right up there with "Downloading now!" There is too much subjectivity involved, not to mention variability (even within use by the same individual with respect to battery life-- and for another thing, you cannot even begin to gauge battery life until probably a good 48 hours has passed since the upgrade). My advise to these people? PUT A SOCK IN IT!
    Slider wobbled decreased significantly with .546 over .526
    pjmacklin likes this.
    05-04-11 08:36 AM
    Classic.

Geez I guess everyone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I agree with that we don't need to know when ppl are downloading it. But RELAX, I have seen a change in battery from 534. Overnight I was losing about 30%. Lastnight it was only 16%. With high usage this morning, I running about 4.5% on Meterberry, With 534 it could get as high as 8.7%.

I will keep testing and reporting, so if you see me name don't waste your time reading my post as it will bore you to death. I might even test the browser just so for ppl WHO CARE can read what I found.

Last time I checked this is a public fourm and no one is forcing you to read our post. SO for the ppl who would like to report battery usage and browser fixes and issues, I will continue to read your post and digest what I wish to from it.
    05-04-11 08:36 AM
    Here's a question.

What does the facebook mobile site think you have with this build? At the very bottom, there is always that line "Download Facebook for your _________".

With 526, it thought I had a 9670. With 534, I supposedly had a Curve 3G. Even the "official" AT&T 526 had me using the 9670 again (there really is no difference between the leak and the official release of a given build).

Having gone back to 450, mobile Facebook correctly sees my Torch again.

Not that this is a big deal, it's just one of those things you wish they could get right.

05-04-11 08:46 AM
    Here's a question.

What does the facebook mobile site think you have with this build? At the very bottom, there is always that line "Download Facebook for your _________".

With 526, it thought I had a 9670. With 534, I supposedly had a Curve 3G. Even the "official" AT&T 526 had me using the 9670 again (there really is no difference between the leak and the official release of a given build).

Having gone back to 450, mobile Facebook correctly sees my Torch again.

Not that this is a big deal, it's just one of those things you wish they could get right.

Mine sez Torch, but what version of FB are you using? I'm using 2.0.0.16
    05-04-11 08:50 AM
    Are the corners of the screen rounded in this update?
    05-04-11 09:01 AM
    Mine sez Torch, but what version of FB are you using? I'm using 2.0.0.16
    1.9.0.28. But that shouldn't affect the mobile site since you can get to it without having the BB FB app installed at all.

But, it seems like its been fixed - again. I remember reading that .448 (or maybe an earlier 400 series build) also reported a Curve 3G on the Torch.

Last edited by joeldf; 05-04-11 at 09:19 AM.
    05-04-11 09:14 AM
    Geez I guess everyone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I agree with that we don't need to know when ppl are downloading it. But RELAX, I have seen a change in battery from 534. Overnight I was losing about 30%. Lastnight it was only 16%. With high usage this morning, I running about 4.5% on Meterberry, With 534 it could get as high as 8.7%.

I will keep testing and reporting, so if you see me name don't waste your time reading my post as it will bore you to death. I might even test the browser just so for ppl WHO CARE can read what I found.

Last time I checked this is a public fourm and no one is forcing you to read our post. SO for the ppl who would like to report battery usage and browser fixes and issues, I will continue to read your post and digest what I wish to from it.
    Well, no, it's not a public forum, it's a private forum run by the owners of CB, by whose good graces you are allowed to post here. And given that all of our rights are equal in that regard, I have no qualms about calling out marginally knowledgeable users posting utterly useless information in these kinds of threads.

No offense, my friend, but as I said, you really can't gauge battery life until the OS has been sitting on your device for a couple of days or so. Plus, as I also mentioned, there are too many variables overall re: battery life between different users and in the use pattern of the same user. YMMV applies in spades here -- what apps one may have and use obviously affects battery drain, for example -- so the utility of posts reporting on battery usage, particularly within 24 hours of the OS being made available, are, frankly, a bit questionable.

If you read my post, you'll see that I was carping on reports of improved browser speed, not browser fixes. Browser (text rendering) fixes should indeed be topic "A" here since browser rendering has been the only real bug from the last two builds. Battery usage -- meh. I downgraded to .486 and my battery usage is fine. In fact, the only time I had a real battery problem was with the second Torch I exchanged for back in August -- I exchanged for a third one because of that, and had no battery drainage problems. See? Another variable for you.
    slalom likes this.
    05-04-11 09:23 AM
    I switched from 526 to 534 and after a week started getting horrible battery life and the phone was constantly hanging with the "please wait" icon. It didn't happen at first and it may have been from one of the beta apps - BBM6, FB2 perhaps? Even after reverting to 526 the battery would heat up and the phone would hang until it rebooted then be fine for an hour or two then do it again. Battery drained in 3 hours or so.

Switched back to 450 and am having none of those problems after a week already.

Haven't seen many actual usage reports for 546 yet because its too early but am holding off this time. 5 series builds haven't worked well on my phone.

05-04-11 09:35 AM
    Seeing as all Os are pretty much the same, i'll pass on this one
    05-04-11 09:38 AM
    Upgraded from .534... I was having memory leaks and pretty bad battery life...

Surprised, as many, for having an official release that was not leaked before.

Only issue in my upgrade.. I lost all my theme configurations.. I had to reconfigure icons, etc for each of my custom theme...
    05-04-11 09:49 AM
    Well, no, it's not a public forum, it's a private forum run by the owners of CB, by whose good graces you are allowed to post here. And given that all of our rights are equal in that regard, I have no qualms about calling out marginally knowledgeable users posting utterly useless information in these kinds of threads.

No offense, my friend, but as I said, you really can't gauge battery life until the OS has been sitting on your device for a couple of days or so. Plus, as I also mentioned, there are too many variables overall re: battery life between different users and in the use pattern of the same user. YMMV applies in spades here -- what apps one may have and use obviously affects battery drain, for example -- so the utility of posts reporting on battery usage, particularly within 24 hours of the OS being made available, are, frankly, a bit questionable.

If you read my post, you'll see that I was carping on reports of improved browser speed, not browser fixes. Browser (text rendering) fixes should indeed be topic "A" here since browser rendering has been the only real bug from the last two builds. Battery usage -- meh. I downgraded to .486 and my battery usage is fine. In fact, the only time I had a real battery problem was with the second Torch I exchanged for back in August -- I exchanged for a third one because of that, and had no battery drainage problems. See? Another variable for you.
    Well I then was out of place, but I re-read your post and you pretty much talk about Battery life.

I have a background in Telcomm and did a lot of troubleshooting so when I post something, I usually take the time to make sure what I'm reporting is correct.

I have previously posted on BBOS what kind of test I would run. Maybe I will start a thread and post what test I do to test the battery and speed of device (only wifi since I don't have a 3G sniffer) and others can try and post their results.

I did report that WAP is still the same. I have not come across any broken links or rendering issues. I have been focused on the battery life since I believe that is an important issue for users. I even compare the new OS to my wife's iPhone and step-daughters Android. I can honestly say that the battery life since 450 has outpreformed the other devices when listening to music or watching video. Browsing about the samw

I will agree with you that ppl should look at the apps they are running cause that is usually where there is allot of batt drain. LiveProfile and BB traffic were causing battery drain on 526 but is stable on 534. BB podcast was a battery drain for 486 and stable in 526. I reinstalled Liveprofile this morning and running in background and my batt usage just jumped 5.3% from 2.9%. The Leaked BBM 6.0.0.37 I found to be a battery drain too if you chatted allot.

I'm not out to start a war or anything but when I do post something, I feel pretty confident that what i'm reporting is correct. I will be testing the browser later this afternoon to see if RIM fixed the link issue.

Guyluvsgals and Bozo42UK like this.
    05-04-11 10:22 AM
    The CB rendering issue on the torch isn't the torch but rather CB itself. There is even a thread in the forum issue section about it. If you have the latest firefox browser installed it does it on that also.

As far as battery goes, I always wait a few days to report on that. It's all subjective as we all use our devices differently and have different apps installed. This is the main reason when I report on battery life its always on idle with nothing running.
    thecoach1999 likes this.
    05-04-11 10:54 AM
    This is a solid update..i've not experienced any issues and battery life seems as good as preivous build. The following issues resolved on this update:

1. Not all emails would show from dropdown toolbar (black highlight)
    2. On occassion, when phone was in landscape mode i could see generic ATT theme over my wallpaper until rotated back to portrait.
    05-04-11 11:03 AM
    I noticed with .534, my phone was slow & lagged when I would move fast with it...I installed .546 yesterday when it was first posted & have been running it since none stop (did 2 reboots only thus far). So far, its not lagging with me like it was with .534, but we'll see if that changes. Battery life for me is hard to post because my usage is a lot & I have yet to have my Torch last an entire day without requiring a little boost, I agree that battery life differs and is hard to judge, best someone can do is report from there own experiences only. Browser never gave me any issues, but I also probably don't use it as much as the rest who have noticed issues, they would be the better judges when it comes to that. Hope this build stays good & we'll see what happens...
    05-04-11 11:14 AM
    Yes, they are.
    05-04-11 11:28 AM
    Thanks Rroyy for this update. Upgraded from .526. So far running smooth without any problem.
    05-04-11 11:40 AM
    With this new update I don't have the annoying loss of text when I double tap to zoom on a website. You know, that verticle white band that ran through the text from top to bottom.
    05-04-11 12:01 PM
    I agree with most views,battery life has improved over the past few releases....

Whereas for phone running snappier and apps opening quicker than before is concerned, my view is cuz of fresh install all cache and other chat history is deleted which makes the apps and phone overall more responsive.
    05-04-11 12:13 PM
    Ran the update through the application loader not desktop manager version and it went fairly quick. my 9800 seems to be a little snappier transitioning between apps and between app screen and homescreen. I haven't found any issues yet or extras, but I just installed it. Seems to be working great. Even ran through BES activation fairly quickly. Seems to be working great.
    05-04-11 12:19 PM
    That's what I want to know. I can live with the WAP forum issue of having to double-tap to read, but for me and a bunch of others, .526 and .534 also had that much more serious missing text problem, with blank lines instead of text and hyperlinked text showing up as just linked underlines.

I can't for the life of me figure out why only some of us would experience this, unless those who say they haven't simply don't use their browser as much (because it is one of those on again off again problems).

So: can anybody who had the browser text rendering problem with .526 and/or .534 report whether the problem is still there with this build?

(And RIM, if it is: FOR SHAME! Start putting OSes in Beta Zone, will you, so we can let you know directly that you are f-ing up.)
    The Weird thing is the browser issue is happening on my wifes 9100 since the last update I put on her device.
    05-04-11 12:32 PM
    everything works great.
    05-04-11 04:40 PM
    I noticed with .534, my phone was slow & lagged when I would move fast with it...
    Maybe it only seemed slow relative to your immense speed. Just remember to obey all traffic signs and that fines are doubled in construction zones.

I noticed the text on my screen appears smaller smaller the further and further I walk away from my device.

anon(3749235), kfroese and OhmEye like this.
    05-04-11 08:20 PM
    Yes, they are.
    I can't remember if it started prior or not (but don't think so), but the rounded edges have definitely been there since the day 448 and 450 leaked, and all the builds we've seen since: 486, 526, 534, 546.
    05-04-11 08:22 PM
204 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD