OMG, so my Torch was working fine, including Wi-Fi. My company made changes on the BES server and had to reactivate all users, what fun. The result was that we had to wipe, and EA again. I backed up, then wiped, leaving third party apps. Before EA again, I tested everything, all good. I then did the EA and now Wi-Fi is missing, from the menus, from the status bar, everywhere! I'm in IT, so I asked that group if they made any IT Policy changes that would impact Wi-Fi, and they said no. To prove that, they had EA several people after me with the Torch, and Wi-Fi was working fine for them. I have an open ticket with them to resolve the issue, but figured I would check with all of you experts for the real answers! :-)

So, has anyone ever seen a service like that just disappear? Anyone know of a trick to get it back? I've done several BP's, etc.

I'm trying to avoid another wipe and EA, but somehow I think I'm going in that direction.
    12-14-10 08:13 PM
    Wifi can be blocked by security policy especially if using an open system. From the sounds of it, they implemented that policy even though they are not telling you that. Confirmation with a second mobile would tell you that for sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-10 08:35 PM
    Wifi can be blocked by security policy especially if using an open system. From the sounds of it, they implemented that policy even though they are not telling you that. Confirmation with a second mobile would tell you that for sure.

I did check, and I looked at 3 more Torch BB's that just went through EA after mine, and they all had Wi-Fi working. The IT Policy would block for all or nobody, if I understand how that part works.

If that isn't how it works, then if you can tell me what to ask them check on the BES side, specifically, that could be very helpful. I have already confirmed that they are not blocking wi-fi on purpose, and if I can help them find the BES config issue, I'm back up and running.

As for open system, not sure what you mean.
    12-14-10 08:47 PM
    No, your right. If other devices still have WiFi after EA, there is an OS problem. So under Network Connections, there is no wifi option? Are the other Torch devices running the same OS? I would do s security wipe and then use Crakutil to remove the IT policy. After that, do another EA. If that fails, remove the IT policy again and reload the OS with at least 246+ then do yet another EA.

12-14-10 09:49 PM
    Correct, under Networks I now only have Mobile and Bluetooth. Wi-Fi should be there. I don't know for sure about the other OS's, but most should be 246. Mine happens to be 337. Again, I had already been on BES and working just great with this same device and rev. I think the EA just didn't go well and a wipe and or OS reload is next. Thanks!
    12-14-10 10:32 PM
    You have to be careful with BES. The EA does more than just configure email and IT policy. I know for me it sends down bookmarks and product reg keys for some apps. I am not sure what all you admins have configured, but I would imagine there would be errors on the EA status screen as it does its thing and entries in the event log especially for errors. What carrier? If att, I would use the official load for BES since OS6 is new and some BES service packs are required. I would try to keep 337 and roll back to 246 if all else fails.

12-15-10 12:14 AM
    No, your right. If other devices still have WiFi after EA, there is an OS problem. So under Network Connections, there is no wifi option? Are the other Torch devices running the same OS? I would do s security wipe and then use Crakutil to remove the IT policy. After that, do another EA. If that fails, remove the IT policy again and reload the OS with at least 246+ then do yet another EA.

Actually if IT has him on a diferent IT policy he could have wi-fi restrictions when other torch users don't. I admin our BES at work, and a different wi-fi poilcy would not be hard to implement. Odds are they locked you out and are not telling you.
    12-15-10 06:51 PM
    That would make sense and hopefully that is the case. Hopefully he works for a large company that has more tan one admin he can speak with.

12-15-10 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD