Is the largest network in the US just get passed over?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 10:43 AM
    Yeah, I would have expected VZW to at least offer this device.

What gives?
    01-14-11 10:49 AM
    Now that Android and Apple are making inroads to the business community, I wouldn't be surprised to see RIM withdraw from VZW. FWIW, Quad-band GSM rules Europe and Asia, not CDMA.
    01-14-11 10:57 AM
    FWIW, Quad-band GSM rules Europe and Asia, not CDMA.
    So what? In the US Verizon is the major player. But you're right, Android is capturing the sales on Verizon, while RIM continues to flounder.

OP give it a while, a CDMA variant usually comes along about a year after the GSM model, historically speaking (Curve, Pearl, Bold).
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-14-11 at 11:03 AM.
    01-14-11 10:59 AM
    It will be cdma
    The_Engine likes this.
    01-14-11 11:05 AM
    Yeah I think you guys are forgetting the 9500/9520 which were the GSM counterparts of the Storm 1/2. I'd assume this is the GSM version of the Storm 3 were seeing. All the 4 leaked BB devices on BGR are GSM. CDMA just doesn't leak as easily since it's less common.
    ravenlore and SaMaster14 like this.
    01-14-11 11:21 AM
    nikosg21, will T-Mobile get this one or the Dakota?
    01-14-11 11:21 AM
    Yeah I think you guys are forgetting the 9500/9520 which were the GSM counterparts of the Storm 1/2. I'd assume this is the GSM version of the Storm 3 were seeing. All the 4 leaked BB devices on BGR are GSM. CDMA just doesn't leak as easily since it's less common.
    really good point.
    thanks for keeping my hopes alive! haha
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    01-14-11 11:23 AM
    He's not simply keeping hopes alive, he is being logical about this unlike a number of the posters in the blog comments that seem to have read the specs from a leak and then leapt to the unfounded conclusion that it means no cdma devices when the more likely scenario is that cdma will get at a minimum a new bold, storm and curve similar to these leaks with a Torch being possible depending on whether or it is still exclusive to at&t in north america.
    ravenlore and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    01-14-11 11:50 AM
    It will be cdma
    Thats fine, but I'm still wondering about the LTE part???
    01-14-11 12:26 PM
    I hope its cdma. I'm typing this from my storm 1. I need this thing

01-14-11 12:31 PM
    I agree with UrbanGlowCam. Plus keep in mind that this info was launched in Indonesia, where like most of this planet is on GSM. That had to play some part. The CDMA version is coming but I'm still hoping it will be the LTE 4G model.
    01-14-11 03:35 PM
    I would like to see all of these rumored devices on all carriers, but I would not be surprised to see the Apollo and Dakota come out on on gsm in the U.S. and the Monaco being cdma in the U.S. and exclusive to VZW as the storm 3. If I recall, the storm 1 and 2 gsm variants leaked before the comparable cdma models. The leaked specs for the Monaco will be for Europe and Asia.

I hate to defend a large greedy carrier like VZW, but if this Monaco rumor is true it actually makes VZW look good. After all, if RIM had its way VZW would have received that awful storm 2 refresh in late November or early Dec. People who jumped on that would see this and be really pissed. However, VZW, to their credit, told RIM they wouldn't sell the device because it just wasn't enough of an upgrade over the current storm 2. Now seeing this device that 9570 storm 2 refresh would be seen as an even bigger joke than it already was.
    01-14-11 04:34 PM
    I Imagine that this is a testing unit directly from RIM or one of the Canadian carriers. SInce everyone up here has rolled out HSPA+, they would all encourage RIM to sell them the GSM variant.
    01-14-11 04:38 PM
    GSM w/UMA: I predict a Rogers launch in Canada, and *maybe* a T-Mobile launch in the US.
    01-14-11 11:25 PM
    I hate to defend a large greedy carrier like VZW, but if this Monaco rumor is true it actually makes VZW look good. After all, if RIM had its way VZW would have received that awful storm 2 refresh in late November or early Dec. People who jumped on that would see this and be really pissed. However, VZW, to their credit, told RIM they wouldn't sell the device because it just wasn't enough of an upgrade over the current storm 2. Now seeing this device that 9570 storm 2 refresh would be seen as an even bigger joke than it already was.
    That spin on events doesn't seem to have any more factual basis than the one that it was rim that made the decision to drop the device and given that it would have done more harm to their brand than vzw, if anything the version that isn't anti-rim does actually seem more plausible.
    01-15-11 04:49 PM
    I highly doubt that CDMA is even relevant anymore. My formerly CDMA only carrier switched to HSPA a while ago and I don't miss CDMA at all. IF LTE is coming anytime soon, then CDMA is dead for sure...
    01-17-11 05:53 PM
    I highly doubt that CDMA is even relevant anymore. My formerly CDMA only carrier switched to HSPA a while ago and I don't miss CDMA at all. IF LTE is coming anytime soon, then CDMA is dead for sure...
    I feel the one will slowly replace the other. LTE won't be everywhere overnight but it will slowly take over. I remember when we were still analog only and digital was slooooowly infiltrating the networks. It seemed like forever before our towers were integrated with it.

01-18-11 05:58 AM
    The states are an important market and cdma is still relevant there for the time being, it is going to be a while until LTE takes over and we'll see plenty of cdma from Rim and everyone else in the meantime.
    01-18-11 07:44 AM
    The states are an important market and cdma is still relevant there for the time being, it is going to be a while until LTE takes over and we'll see plenty of cdma from Rim and everyone else in the meantime.
    In that case why does Nokia, the largest smartphone company internationally, not offer CDMA handsets?
    01-18-11 09:41 AM
    Could be an LTE or WiMax or BOTH are in the works?
    01-18-11 11:40 AM
    CDMA may not be relevant in Canada or Europe but it is huge in the U.S. and Asia. In the U.S. Verizon and Sprint have more subscribers combined than AT&T and T mobile. Right now there are more CDMA users than GSM users in the U.S. Moreover, Asia is deeply rooted in CDMA. LTE devices will be CDMA compatible for quite some time in the U.S. CDMA is actually a newer technology than GSM and while it has its weaknesses it certainly has some advantages (better signal penetration into buildings is one significant one). In other words, while GSM is more of a world-wide standard, CDMA is no more "dead" than GSM is in the countries where CDMA is popular. AT&T will be going to LTE as well. Their LTE network just happens to be behind Verizon's right now. The CDMA network in the U.S. is currently the most reliable 3G network and covers most of the country. It won't be tossed aside any time soon. Moreover, 3G CDMA will still likely be offered as a cheaper data alternative for those who don't want to pay for LTE in the future. For example, if blackberry's browser experience doesn't improve many posters here won't even care about LTE. Many just want email and BBM. 3G is plenty fast for that. Apple made a CDMA iphone to get market penetration in the U.S. and Asia. CDMA will be here for quite a while.
    01-19-11 11:14 AM
    ^^ What he said.

Are there ANY new Blackberries in the rumor mill (legitimate rumor mill) which will be CDMA?
    01-24-11 03:36 PM
    ^^ What he said.

Are there ANY new Blackberries in the rumor mill (legitimate rumor mill) which will be CDMA?
    There are rumors that the monaco (storm 3 device) is currently in testing at VZW. That would indicate that it may release sooner than the summer. However, I don't think I would call these rumors legitimate. Then again, who knows how legitimate any of these rumors are.
    01-24-11 05:23 PM
    01-27-11 11:53 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD