So google maps told me today there was a newer available version of Maps, and that I should update. So whatever, I did.

Since then (4 hours ago give or take, wasn't really keeping track at the time) the application has crashed at least 6 times, with the message "Serious error. Please close and restart this application" or something to that effect. Anyone else having this issue? My 9700 has it's newest available version, and no problems there (yet?) so it seems like a Torch-exclusive issue so far which is why I posted this here.

Anyways, anyone else wanting to junk punch google maps in the jiggly bits today? Damn.

Thanks
    01-25-11 06:23 PM
    I've done okay with the Google Maps update, no lockups,etc. What I don't like is the permission prompt about using your personal information. If you uncheck it, every time you load Google Maps, it's wants you to check that option. Annoying. One reason why I use Blackberry Maps a lot.
    01-25-11 06:28 PM
    I've done okay with the Google Maps update, no lockups,etc. What I don't like is the permission prompt about using your personal information. If you uncheck it, every time you load Google Maps, it's wants you to check that option. Annoying. One reason why I use Blackberry Maps a lot.
    I think they do this so that integration with your contacts is without hassle. You can search for a contacts location if you have their address stored in your address book, but the application does need permission to access this due to blackberries tight security. I don't feel an issue allowing it to do this, what google doesn't already know about me, they probably know about my contacts anyways hahaha

Thanks for the reply though. If it's only me having this issue, I'll have to try a reinstall and see if this corrects anything. I love googlemaps much more than berry maps, however, they should take a hint and provide a "track up" function like blackberry has included now, very helpful if using for navigation purposes!
    01-25-11 06:34 PM
    That's fine if I want to use my Contacts address within Google Maps. I'd turn it on in that case. What annoys me is I turned the permission off at the initial launch. I don't want to be prompted every time I launch Maps. Just prompt when I use a feature that needs that permission.
    01-25-11 06:38 PM
    That's fine if I want to use my Contacts address within Google Maps. I'd turn it on in that case. What annoys me is I turned the permission off at the initial launch. I don't want to be prompted every time I launch Maps. Just prompt when I use a feature that needs that permission.
    I think if at initial install (before it even downloads from m.google.com/maps) you click "Set Permissions" you can turn it off from PROMPT to DENY, also I think you can do this once it's already installed also by going to OPTIONS -> DEVICE -> APPLICATION MANAGEMENT -> scroll down to google maps and hit menu -> EDIT DEFAULT PERMISSIONS and setting them all how you want them

try it out and see if it works, apparently multiple people are looking for a way to do that haha
    01-25-11 06:51 PM
    It happened again after a re-install, so that didn't fix the issue. Frig. Here's a screenshot.
    01-25-11 07:12 PM
    I upgraded it this afternoon. I haven't had any problems but I'm running it on an old 9000. Seems twice as fast as the old version that I was using.
    01-25-11 07:58 PM
    I've installed the updated version on my Torch and no problems as well. Do you have a custom theme running? It might cause the problem?
    01-25-11 08:08 PM
    Have you tryed a battery pull.
    01-25-11 10:05 PM
    no custom theme, and of course i've tried a battery pull. haha multiple reboots!

i have no idea what's causing it, but i'm no nooblet by any standards i assure you. hahaha
    01-25-11 10:34 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion about the permissions. No change in that it keeps prompting me. Wish I had another suggestion for you. Perhaps remove ALL Google apps from your phone, then go to m.google.com and get all of them again?
    01-25-11 10:47 PM
    that's the only google app i have haha frig.
    01-25-11 11:48 PM
    I just updated. So far no issues.
    01-26-11 12:06 AM
    When I updated yesterday, I had issues doing searches. The maps would update regarding my location, but when I tried to search, it'd tell me I needed a data plan (which clearly I had). This happened even after several battery pulls. It seems to be working this morning though and I haven't had any crashes like you posted. Yet.
    01-26-11 08:11 AM
    I downloaded it and have used it a couple of times with no issues.
    01-26-11 09:08 AM
    no custom theme, and of course i've tried a battery pull. haha multiple reboots!

i have no idea what's causing it, but i'm no nooblet by any standards i assure you. hahaha
    Have you tried completely removing removing GM, rebooting, and re-installing it? It may be corrupted?
    01-26-11 09:36 AM
    Have you tried completely removing removing GM, rebooting, and re-installing it? It may be corrupted?
    +1 to this...i was about to post this good thing i read through but def a good idea to make sure u reboot after the install even if it doesn't prompt u too.
    01-26-11 12:17 PM
    Hey everyone, thanks for your responses!

I have tried: Battery pull. Removing, rebooting, installing, rebooting. Downgrading to 4.4, then re-upgrading. Still the same issues. I've currently gone back to 4.4 without issue, but feel like a loser without having the newest ish. :P

I find it totally strange that I'm the only one having this issue! Especially since I have no other issues at all with the phone/os/other apps/older versions of gmaps (which makes me want to rule out bb software mis-installation.)

Pretty hella balls-sauce.
    01-27-11 02:30 AM
    seems like it may be time to back it up and wipe it out...you'll be done in an hour or so.
    good luck!
    01-27-11 08:24 AM
    seems like it may be time to back it up and wipe it out...you'll be done in an hour or so.
    good luck!
    Yeah I don't see this happening. 4.4 works fine, and there were no noticeable changes in the newest anyways, except for that it didn't work properly. I don't believe they added anything new (that is, features, not minor code changes) to the program, so I see no need to wipe my entire phone lol

Even with 4.4, I assure you my e-peen hasn't shrunken as my version number has. I'm still a man damnit!
    01-27-11 02:38 PM
    Google needs to make a maps app for the torch that actually works with touchscreen, etc. Then I'll think about their privacy issues.
    01-27-11 02:40 PM
    Google needs to make a maps app for the torch that actually works with touchscreen, etc. Then I'll think about their privacy issues.
    You're right. Pinch-to-zoom is terrible in Google Maps.
    01-27-11 03:50 PM
    Hey everyone, thanks for your responses!

I have tried: Battery pull. Removing, rebooting, installing, rebooting. Downgrading to 4.4, then re-upgrading. Still the same issues. I've currently gone back to 4.4 without issue, but feel like a loser without having the newest ish. :P

I find it totally strange that I'm the only one having this issue! Especially since I have no other issues at all with the phone/os/other apps/older versions of gmaps (which makes me want to rule out bb software mis-installation.)

Pretty hella balls-sauce.
    Chrispipe, I am having the exact same issue! I have a 9700 that I also upgraded to 4.5.2, which is when I started getting that "serious error" message. I've also tried re-installing/battery pulling.

Weird how no one else is experiencing this though....
    02-07-11 08:52 AM
    What OS are you running? I'm on .448 with sorta 2 hybrids in 1, and I've had no issues.
    02-07-11 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD