View Poll Results: Is the Torch faster or slower than you are?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Torch feels a lot faster than I am

5 15.15%
  • The Torch feels a bit faster than I am

4 12.12%
  • The Torch and I keep up with one another

12 36.36%
  • I feel a bit faster than my Torch

7 21.21%
  • I feel a lot faster than my Torch

5 15.15%
    I've struggled with the "processor too slow" vs "who cares about specs" argument because I see both sides :

1) "Who cares" is too subjective and promotes fanboi behaviour on all sides

2) "Spec wars" ignores the obvious - a Maserati blows the doors off a Lexus but there's no way I can handle or use that power

Yet I still wonder how the Torch will meet my needs. And since I'm in Canada I can't test one yet.

A very technically oriented friend who just bought a Torch said after a week "I still feel like I’m too slow for the device itself". I think that's a reasonable and practical standard we can all understand.

So how does your Torch - or the one you tested - meet this criteria?

If you could answer the poll that would be great, and any specific comments on why you feel that way will be welcomed.

And please, no comparisons of other devices. They're not necessary or applicable for the purposes of this thread.

Thanks - R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 09-03-10 at 07:05 PM.
    09-03-10 07:02 PM
    Speed is a bit lacking from time to time on the 9800. Mostly noticeable to me in the browser. Even on the CB mobile forums there is checker boarding and hesitation when I scroll or zoom. On the zoom issue, I am not counting the text reflow time against it.
    I do not count hesitation on the homescreen as that seems to be programed by RIM. Though I do find it disappointing that they did not think "hey, maybe the pages should follow the finger instead of moving afterwards"
    The biggest surprise was an impromptu test in the notepad app. With the physical keyboard, spell check on and all predictive off, it lagged so far behind my typing I actually put it down and watched it finish putting my words up on the screen This has never happened on my 9700, 9000, heck even my 8310 could keep up! I don't type especially fast, maybe 30 words per minute max, so I found that a bit disheartening.
    I think the processor is fast enough for a Berry, RIM just needs to polish the OS to make the most of it. Do I wish they had gone ahead and used a newer processor? H-E-double hockeysticks yeah!!! When they dropped 624mhz in the original Bold, not only did RIM double their own processing speed, they had the fastest smartphone available. Now they're barely in the middle of the pack and it makes me a bit
    09-03-10 07:37 PM
    Bump - need to collect more data points!

- R.
    09-04-10 11:22 AM
    Overall, the 9800 gets the job done. Obviously at times it could get things done faster but for the most part there isn't much lag if any. What I'm trying to say is the device could definitely benefit from a faster processor however, it's not as if it doesn't function properly or is seriously degrading the user experience. As for the browser, it will constantly get better with new releases.
    09-04-10 11:31 AM
    CX, you mean RIMM will be able make the browser even more smooth as in eliminating as much of the checkered boxes while scrolling a page? I am assuming it won't be as smooth as say the iphone 4 or Captivate for browsing due to the cpu power?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-10 12:23 PM
    Overall, the 9800 gets the job done. Obviously at times it could get things done faster but for the most part there isn't much lag if any. What I'm trying to say is the device could definitely benefit from a faster processor however, it's not as if it doesn't function properly or is seriously degrading the user experience. As for the browser, it will constantly get better with new releases.
    Couldn't agree more.
    09-04-10 12:24 PM
    Last bump - trying to catch the work-day posters I'd missed.
    09-07-10 01:37 PM
    The new leak .214 makes me want to change my vote! It's faster than ever now.
    09-07-10 01:46 PM
    I have read a lot of people complaining about speeds and blamming it on the processor but as jeffreii said...try the latest os...its phenomenal...no speed issues opening and closing everything is just the way you would want it...smooth and fluid no comparisons to other phones but it seems like as RIM does OS updates they are making the software run smoother and smoother as you would see on an iphone or android.
    09-07-10 05:49 PM
    Another vote here for the OS upgrade - noticeable difference across the board. Now that I've had the device for a couple of weeks, I'm getting used to the new interface, and the OS upgrade significantly improved the virtual keyboard; it seems to have improved the battery life as well, though I need to test that some more. (BTW - I'm the 'techie friend' he mentioned in the beginning; I went from a Bold 9000 straight to the Torch, so the touch screen form factor took a bit of getting used to )
    09-08-10 04:15 PM
    Another vote here for the OS upgrade - noticeable difference across the board. Now that I've had the device for a couple of weeks, I'm getting used to the new interface, and the OS upgrade significantly improved the virtual keyboard; it seems to have improved the battery life as well, though I need to test that some more. (BTW - I'm the 'techie friend' he mentioned in the beginning; I went from a Bold 9000 straight to the Torch, so the touch screen form factor took a bit of getting used to )
    welcome to the forum a lot of good stuff is exchanged here and any issues can be fixed too...got to love crackberry
    09-08-10 05:48 PM
    .214 makes it wicked fast. I have yet to compare the web browser to the i4, but I'm thinking it will be pretty comparable. Also, I have not experienced any lag issues that other people have. OT: I am pissed about the BIS issue. Other than that, the phone is great!
    09-08-10 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD