@MartyMcfly
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: Iphone4g
    Carrier: AT&T
    PIN: Retired until RIM releases a BB similar to the 9000

what does the small g on the iphone4g stands for?
    i'm just curious.
    Me too! Is that a new model?? Does it come with the wifi's???
    10-01-10 07:40 AM
    @MartyMcfly
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: Iphone4g
    Carrier: AT&T
    PIN: Retired until RIM releases a BB similar to the 9000

what does the small g on the iphone4g stands for?
    i'm just curious.
    Okay, so I didn't capitalize the G.....my bad G.I Jane........
    10-01-10 07:56 AM
    Okay, so I didn't capitalize the G.....my bad G.I Jane........
    Dude.. your phone is iphone 4..
    and not iphone4G or iphone4g.. since it doesn't have the 4G capability.

Apple - iPhone 4 - FaceTime, Retina display, and more features

which brings me to my next point...credibility.
    you're writing about speed... when you can't even get the name of your device right..
    even if you believe that the iphone 4 has a 1Ghz... it's only running on 800Mhz.

most people are doing paper racing without completely understanding the how and why of the specs.
    10-01-10 08:04 AM
    Dude.. your phone is iphone 4..
    and not iphone4G or iphone4g.. since it doesn't have the 4G capability.

Apple - iPhone 4 - FaceTime, Retina display, and more features

which brings me to my next point...credibility.
    you're writing about speed... when you can't even get the name of your device right..
    even if you believe that the iphone 4 has a 1Ghz... it's only running on 800Mhz.

most people are doing paper racing without completely understanding the how and why of the specs.
    Dude....my initial comment was based on the processor speed and how it effects the Os......there are numerous reviews out there websites/user reviews that speak on the new Os and how it would run better if the specs were a little better......I never said the torch sucked, or anything.
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 10-01-10 at 08:48 AM.
    10-01-10 08:46 AM
    Dude....my initial comment was based on the processor speed and how it effects the Os......there are numerous reviews out there websites/user reviews that speak on the new Os and how it would run better if the specs were a little better......I never said the torch sucked, or anything.
    Would the phone run "better" if it had better paper specs? Perhaps, more than likely yes. However..all these reviews were done with the phone running it's base OS .141, which coming from user reviews, has been vastly improved with the more current OS's. Had RIM delayed the launch for a week, and gotten the newer OS on the phone before website reviewers, I'll bet it would have gotten a whole different response, and there would likely have been little slagging of the processor. Just read a Samsung Fascinate review to know that processor speed isn't the be all and end all.
    10-01-10 08:56 AM
    Mark just ignore Mcflopy, he's too thick headed to get what we've been saying for this whole thread. That the OS and the processor need to work together, not just put the biggest of everything in there and call it done.

Also how Mcflopy side steps, or ignores, the questions and comments he can't answer to. Just let his fanboy pride be, Steve has him hypnotized beyond repair.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 08:59 AM
    there are numerous reviews out there websites/user reviews that speak on the new Os and how it would run better if the specs were a little better...
    This statement would apply to ANY phone, OS, computer, etc., makes no sense to state it as only applying to the Torch. I've seen nothing but quick, flawless operation with my Torch, so whatever "benefit" would come from higher specs would more than likely not even be noticeable. Maybe my browser will open .5 seconds faster? Load a web page a second faster? If this were the case I definitely wouldn't consider it a benefit.
    10-01-10 09:11 AM
    This statement would apply to ANY phone, OS, computer, etc., makes no sense to state it as only applying to the Torch. I've seen nothing but quick, flawless operation with my Torch, so whatever "benefit" would come from higher specs would more than likely not even be noticeable. Maybe my browser will open .5 seconds faster? Load a web page a second faster? If this were the case I definitely wouldn't consider it a benefit.
    +1
    That minuscule difference in actually speed doesn't warrant the "need" for the higher specs. Especially with the OS upgrades and things being much faster, though the Torch is already fast enough for me. So whatever these new leaks has to offer will be a plus. Bravo to the RIM software team. Good job.

10-01-10 09:20 AM
    Load a web page a second faster? If this were the case I definitely wouldn't consider it a benefit.
    Try 10 seconds, unless you're on EDGE.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

10-01-10 03:25 PM
    I'm sorry but that comparison needs to be done with the Torch running .246.
    I've just tested my Torch compared to that video using Telus HSPA network -not WiFi - and it's almost as fast as the IP4 and Driod. I'm very curious to see how it would compare on WiFi. I'm not looking for an argument here, just posting fact.
    10-01-10 03:34 PM
    Wifi with Torch running .246 was closer to the iPhone 4. Both ran on my wireless N network. Torch would be about 3-5 secs behind the iPhone 4 on every website mobile and full. Both browsers were cleared before the test. On heavy sites such as national geographic, engadget and even crackberry the iPhone would kill the Torch with non mobile view. I'm talking easily over 10 secs. There were a few times where crackberry home page in Full View on the IPhone would be 3 secs behind the Torch viewing the mobile site. Talk about fast browsing on the iPhone.

As for both devices running on 3G Rogers I had my buddy put in his sim since I don't have 2 active sims. On about 30 different websites viewed and the Torch was anywhere from 6-12 secs behind. Full Sites were all about 10-12 secs behind. Obviously navigating through the site is so much smoother as well as pinch to zoom as the iPhone focuses instantly
    10-01-10 03:59 PM
    I'm sorry but that comparison needs to be done with the Torch running .246.
    I've just tested my Torch compared to that video using Telus HSPA network -not WiFi - and it's almost as fast as the IP4 and Driod. I'm very curious to see how it would compare on WiFi. I'm not looking for an argument here, just posting fact.
    You obviously didn't read the article. It doesn't matter which firmware you're running. The problem isn't the phone being slow. It's the sending the data to the RIM servers, the servers compressing it, then finally sending it to the carrier to send it to the device. The simpler the page, such as no graphics, it'll be almost as fast as other phones. If the page has lots of graphics though, it'll slow down it drastically.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-01-10 at 04:15 PM.
    10-01-10 04:12 PM
    Wifi with Torch running .246 was closer to the iPhone 4. Both ran on my wireless N network. Torch would be about 3-5 secs behind the iPhone 4 on every website mobile and full. Both browsers were cleared before the test. On heavy sites such as national geographic, engadget and even crackberry the iPhone would kill the Torch with non mobile view. I'm talking easily over 10 secs. There were a few times where crackberry home page in Full View on the IPhone would be 3 secs behind the Torch viewing the mobile site. Talk about fast browsing on the iPhone.

As for both devices running on 3G Rogers I had my buddy put in his sim since I don't have 2 active sims. On about 30 different websites viewed and the Torch was anywhere from 6-12 secs behind. Full Sites were all about 10-12 secs behind. Obviously navigating through the site is so much smoother as well as pinch to zoom as the iPhone focuses instantly
    That's some heavy duty comparison's you and your buddy did. Any chance you video taped it and posted it on Youtube while you were at it?

Speaking of Youtube, did you do any comparisons loading youtube vids? Cuz compared with my wife's iP4 last night I was easily 10s into every video before hers would finally play..running off the same wireless network in our house.

Bottom line is people can run comparison tests all they want. If loading that web page 6 seconds faster enhances your daily life, then great. Personally I view at max 3-4 different websites a day..so that 30seconds out of my life i'll sacrifice in web load speed to gain all the other functionality out of the phone of my choice.
    10-01-10 04:16 PM
    Speaking of Youtube, did you do any comparisons loading youtube vids? Cuz compared with my wife's iP4 last night I was easily 10s into every video before hers would finally play..running off the same wireless network in our house.
    Something's wrong with your wife's iPhone. She should either reset network settings or return for exchange if it keeps doing that. Mine plays vids within 3 seconds of tapping play on WiFi. When on 3G over 1Mbps, I also get HQ youtube without buffering.
    10-01-10 04:24 PM
    Something's wrong with your wife's iPhone. She should either reset network settings or return for exchange if it keeps doing that. Mine plays vids within 3 seconds of tapping play on WiFi. When on 3G over 1Mbps, I also get HQ youtube without buffering.
    Wow, you guys are really amazing... So because a BB beat an iPhone means there's something wrong with the iPhone? Come Onnnn.... Pull you head outta your a$$ dude. I realize data gets compressed when it goes through RIM's servers, but that doesn't apply when using the Hotspot browser. Is it really that hard to fathom that a BB beat an iPhone? Does Steve really have you guys that brainwashed?
    10-01-10 04:35 PM
    That's some heavy duty comparison's you and your buddy did. Any chance you video taped it and posted it on Youtube while you were at it?

Bottom line is people can run comparison tests all they want. If loading that web page 6 seconds faster enhances your daily life, then great. Personally I view at max 3-4 different websites a day..so that 30seconds out of my life i'll sacrifice in web load speed to gain all the other functionality out of the phone of my choice.
    No YouTube as I was just screwing around at home and with my buddy I was at work with both phones and he came by and we started browsing to see the speeds. I like the torch and it all comes down to personal pref. I browse the net alot during the day in my office. I use the phone more actually then my laptop going on the net since I can take a stroll with it. Just that with the screen and speed of the phone it is so fluid navigating to where I want to go and with te Atomic Web browser from the app store I am all over the place with tabs and more functionality.
    10-01-10 04:35 PM
    It could very well be her settings. My guess is that you've got your phone optimized as best as you can cuz I know your no noob when it comes to phones..unlike my wife. And I can hardly handle dealing with her phone for more than a few minutes without wanting to smash it to optimize it for her. No matter how nice the screen is or how much "quicker" it loads a web page..you would have to pay me a fairly large sum of money to use that phone on a daily basis. But that's just MY opinions.

10-01-10 04:39 PM
    Wow, you guys are really amazing... So because a BB beat an iPhone means there's something wrong with the iPhone? Come Onnnn.... Pull you head outta your a$$ dude. I realize data gets compressed when it goes through RIM's servers, but that doesn't apply when using the Hotspot browser. Is it really that hard to fathom that a BB beat an iPhone? Does Steve really have you guys that brainwashed?
    You don't know the inner working of Blackberries. Even when using WiFi, ALL data goes through RIM's servers, you don't have a choice in the matter. That's what causes the browser lag, not the phone. Once the phone gets the data, it's actually pretty fast, even with the original firmware. You can see the fast rendering in multiple videos. BB Torch did win those Acid tests compared to i4 and even Android 2.2.

Also, if you have to wait over 10 seconds constantly for a youtube video to start, it doesn't take a genius to figure out something's wrong.

EDIT: I should also mention that going through RIM's servers is one of the stated benefits of using BB. It offers VPN type security while at the same time compressing data so you use less of it. The obvious drawback is that it slows things down.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-01-10 at 04:59 PM.
    10-01-10 04:48 PM
    iphone4 browser is faster and pinch to zoom is better than torch. Not by a lot but no question it is. I had the ip4 for a couple of weeks before trading back to a torch. Hopefully since this is rims first crack with the new browser it will only get better in the next couple of months. Apple has had a pretty big head start with safari.
    10-01-10 04:49 PM
    You don't know the inner working of Blackberries. Even when using WiFi, ALL data goes through RIM's servers, you don't have a choice in the matter. That's what causes the browser lag, not the phone. Once the phone gets the data, it's actually pretty fast, even with the original firmware. You can see it in multiple videos.
    Yea..and that's why using Opera Mini was so effective on my 9530 because it bypassed the RIM server (at least to my understanding)

10-01-10 04:50 PM
    Yea..and that's why using Opera Mini was so effective on my 9530 because it bypassed the RIM server (at least to my understanding)

Shouldn't make much difference. Doesn't matter what browser you use, all data goes through RIM's servers. It should actually be slower because now you're going through RIM's servers, and also Opera's servers. Opera browser works similarly to RIM. They reformat the page for their browser on their servers, and then sends it down.

EDIT: On your 9530, the built in browser might be slower rendering due to software limitations. Opera might work better because as I said, they reformat webpages to optimize for their browser. That last part could offer significant performance gains since the previous browser had such poor rendering capabilities, and probably choked on most javascript.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-01-10 at 05:02 PM.
    10-01-10 04:52 PM
    You don't know the inner working of Blackberries. Even when using WiFi, ALL data goes through RIM's servers, you don't have a choice in the matter. That's what causes the browser lag, not the phone. Once the phone gets the data, it's actually pretty fast, even with the original firmware. You can see the fast rendering in multiple videos. BB Torch did win those Acid tests compared to i4 and even Android 2.2.

Also, if you have to wait over 10 seconds constantly for a youtube video to start, it doesn't take a genius to figure out something's wrong.

EDIT: I should also mention that going through RIM's servers is one of the stated benefits of using BB. It offers VPN type security while at the same time compressing data so you use less of it. The obvious drawback is that it slows things down.
    Pleeeaaseee... Come on, do you know the inner workings of BlackBerry? How do these people without BIS/BES data plans use the Hotspot browser then? You can't go through RIM's servers when your phone isn't connected to them. You're right when using the internet browser on BIS/BES, but NO data goes through RIM when using Hotspot browser.
    10-01-10 05:11 PM
    Can an ip4 double tap webpage text and have it auto-zoom and auto-wrap so it fits the screen so you can read without scrolling left and right? I've already seen an Android phone and it can't. I'll trade fractions of time in speed for better functionality thank you.

10-01-10 05:21 PM
    You obviously didn't read the article. It doesn't matter which firmware you're running. The problem isn't the phone being slow. It's the sending the data to the RIM servers, the servers compressing it, then finally sending it to the carrier to send it to the device. The simpler the page, such as no graphics, it'll be almost as fast as other phones. If the page has lots of graphics though, it'll slow down it drastically.
    I did read the article. Thank you for explaining how data flows through the RIM servers. My 9800 was a lot faster than the one in the video loading the exact same webpage and not even using Wifi. So how can you tell me that the OS has no bearing? Everyone that's upgraded the OS has said that they've experienced much faster browsing. As I mentioned before, not looking for a pi$$ing match, just stating facts.
    10-01-10 05:42 PM
    Can an ip4 double tap webpage text and have it auto-zoom and auto-wrap so it fits the screen so you can read without scrolling left and right? I've already seen an Android phone and it can't. I'll trade fractions of time in speed for better functionality thank you.

Double tap does zoom it in but doesn't need to autowrap or anything since the screen resolution is crystal clear. I am on the Crackberry Full Site with my iPhone right now in Lanscape and the text is perfect without having to zoom. Fits the screen perfect.
    10-01-10 05:48 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD