Battery is not quite as good as the 9700 - for me.
    Signal is the same as my 9700, which was excellent.
    08-15-10 04:55 AM
    There appears to be no way to wake the Torch except pressing a button when it goes standby...There also appears to be no way to make Favorites the default screen instead of All. If I am wrong, please let me know but these are items to add to the fixes in the next OS update.
    08-15-10 07:49 AM
    I work at a retailer that is also an authorized ATT dealer, so I picked mine up the night before (shhh). So far, the device is running fairly smooth. There are a couple issues I've ran into though...

1. The touch screen seems to have some issues. When I touch one part of the screen, it reacts on the other side or in a completely different spot. This happens maybe twice a day, so not huge.

2. All the buttons on the phone stop working, forcing me to do a battery pull. This happens usually after opening up a Twitter update or trying to access the phone after leaving it idle for an extended period of time.

There are a couple other things, but I'm going to test them out a little more.
    08-15-10 08:41 AM
    So far the battery life is not as good as my 9700. Signal strength is the same for me as well. Yeah, I hope a newepr release will fix some of the issues, too.
    08-15-10 09:57 AM
    There appears to be no way to wake the Torch except pressing a button when it goes standby...There also appears to be no way to make Favorites the default screen instead of All. If I am wrong, please let me know but these are items to add to the fixes in the next OS update.
    If you leave the screen on Favorites, when you return the device is still on Fav's. It's not setting it as default, but it stays there unless you change to another.

So far the battery life is not as good as my 9700. Signal strength is the same for me as well. Yeah, I hope a newepr release will fix some of the issues, too.
    Power Management is comparable to the 9700, especially considering it's a smaller battery. As for the antenna and signal issues, the antenna itself is shielded so there won't be i4 type issues. The other part of that equation is source code(OS related) which seems to be fine. Enjoy BL ))
    08-15-10 10:20 AM
    [QUOTE=Crucial_Xtreme;5467227]If you leave the screen on Favorites, when you return the device is still on Fav's. It's not setting it as default, but it stays there unless you change to another.

Thanks very much. CX. Is there anything about waking the Torch by touching the screen?
    08-15-10 10:26 AM
    love mine - got it in the irvine store on Thursday.

My only issue was I missed a couple of BB ringtones from my 8900 but found them here - Ringret.com - Free Mobile Ringtones

This is my 6th blackberry - so happy they came out with a touch screen but also kept the keyboard.
    08-15-10 12:18 PM
    If you leave the screen on Favorites, when you return the device is still on Fav's. It's not setting it as default, but it stays there unless you change to another.

Power Management is comparable to the 9700, especially considering it's a smaller battery. As for the antenna and signal issues, the antenna itself is shielded so there won't be i4 type issues. The other part of that equation is source code(OS related) which seems to be fine. Enjoy BL ))
    Thanks, CX. I've got Twitter, Facebook, BBM(and chats), constant work emails, two personal business emails. So, I'm surprised that my battery life is better than expected.
    08-15-10 02:22 PM
    [QUOTE=jcp007;5467248]

Thanks very much. CX. Is there anything about waking the Torch by touching the screen?
    Unfortunately not.. The only way to wake that I know of is to touch either the trackpad or one of the physical buttons. It was going to be changed in a firmware update but it was decided that anything touching the screen would wake the device, even when not wanting to, thus degrading battery life. Not positive on the exact plans for the future regarding this issue. I'll be sure to check on it though.

@BL although not hour for hour as good as the 9700, its very close. Very(at least in my experience) and again, its a smaller battery. Overall great power management IMHO. Hope you enjoy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 05:30 PM
    [QUOTE=Crucial_Xtreme;5468742]
    @BL although not hour for hour as good as the 9700, its very close. Very(at least in my experience) and again, its a smaller battery. Overall great power management IMHO. Hope you enjoy
    Cool. Definitely an awesome addition to the Blackberry family.
    08-15-10 09:10 PM
    Menues on the new OS are still intuitive as they always have been on Blackberry's and a big improvement with more options. Touch screen is really nice to have along with keyboard. Nice to see more consumer oriented applications.

Mobile websites are much nicer on this device than other BB's but full websites are awful. Very slow to load and due to small screen size you have to constantly zoom and scroll. Screen resolution doesn't help and is disappointing.

Received a Torch and a Droid X today. RIM has a long way to go to catch up to the other devices in this area if this is important to you. One feature that I think the iPhone has is when you zoom the text "auto-wraps" and re-positions itself. I wish both of these devices did that.

As I use the device more there seems to be alot of "play" between the touch screen and the slider keyboard when its closed. You can definately feel it as you use the touch screen or 4 keys along the bottome. Feels loose.

I was a Blackberry user for the last 3 years and I absolutely hated typing on touchscreen devices. So when the 9800 rumors started floating around on Crackberry and other sites I got super excited because the 9800 had a physical keyboard.

After seeing the device for the first time I really wanted one but was concerned that the "slider" mechanism would eventually become loose. Also, it is a serious pain trying to install a new housing on a "slider" type of phone.

So I opted for the HTC HD2 from T-Mobile. VERY solid device and no slider mechanics to fail. I still love Blackberry devices though because I have a Curve 8900 as well but I think the 9800 will see it's fair share of issues with the slider after people have used the device for a couple of months.
    08-16-10 10:51 AM
    Although I am a newbie, , I just wanted to say that this phone is amazing! I am pretty new to BB, only having my unlocked 8350i for about a month (my first BB) before getting the 9800 this afternoon. I have been reading ALL of the posts relating to the phone, both good and bad, and said, "What the heck...". I liked the phone's looks and the new OS and thought it would be a good phone for what I need/want it for and it turns out to be true. Obviously it is more advanced than an 8350i, so I'll have lots of things to read up on to become more familiar with the Torch, but it's going to be something I'll enjoy doing!

I have luckily had none of the issues other people are having, such as wiggle, tinny/echoing sound, lag, etc. - it's working fine right out of the box. Thank goodness because I bought it through Walmart/LetsTalk and hear it would be a pain to do an exchange...lol.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with the phone...bottom line, it does what I want/need it to do and that works for me!!
    08-16-10 06:05 PM
    Come on Canada! BRING US THE 9800!!!!
    08-16-10 10:06 PM
    I am in Love with the Torch. The OS 6 is amazing. To delete lots of email (which was a cumbersome task in 9700) is much faster. Having different menu options like favorites and frequent is so convenient.

The battery did get very hot after using it for 30 minutes. After one day, I had 1/4 left on the battery. My 9700 would go for two to three days.

Device calendar entries still don't sync with outlook, which must be the exchange server issue.

I just hope that the slide mechanism and the touch screen would last.

There are not as many notifying sounds available as there was for previous BBs. But who cares.
    08-17-10 01:22 PM
    I am speechless right now! Lovin this phone!
    08-17-10 01:45 PM
    Let me start by saying, I love my 9800. I have one issue with my new phone. My battery life is horrible. I take it off the charger at 6AM and today by 4PM I heard the low battery alert. The same thing happened to me yesterday although yesterday I was watching a lot of ESPN news videos. The only other gripe I have which I'm sure I will get use to is, I keep hitting my thumbs against the slide when typing on the top row of my keybopard. If I can make the battery last longer than 10 hours, I will be a happy guy. PS, this is my 6th BlackBerry and I have loved every one of them.

08-17-10 06:04 PM
    Let me start by saying, I love my 9800. I have one issue with my new phone. My battery life is horrible. I take it off the charger at 6AM and today by 4PM I heard the low battery alert. The same thing happened to me yesterday although yesterday I was watching a lot of ESPN news videos. The only other gripe I have which I'm sure I will get use to is, I keep hitting my thumbs against the slide when typing on the top row of my keybopard. If I can make the battery last longer than 10 hours, I will be a happy guy. PS, this is my 6th BlackBerry and I have loved every one of them.

How long have you had your phone? My Torch did the same thing the first couple days as I played with it and set it up just how I like, downloaded apps, tested out the new browser, etc.

Today I pulled the phone off the charger at 8 a.m. and it's 5 p.m. now and I'm at 60 percent. I got my phone on Thursday. So, now that I'm settling into my more typical usage pattern I think my battery life will be, too.

Now, if you've had it for as long as I have, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to keep it, then keep chargers everywhere and tweak some settings such as screen brightness, etc. If not, exchange it to see if it's just your hardware?

Good luck! I hope the battery life sorts itself out for you.
    08-17-10 07:10 PM
    I have had nothing but great battery life out of 9800, this is my 5th Blackberry and I have always been impressed with Blackberries battery life.
    It did take awhile for me to get use to this phone, the first hour or so I didn't like it. I think I was use to the bar style and it was harder to text, now I love it!!!
    08-17-10 08:18 PM
    I picked up my phone Friday morning, as I use my phone for business (and also play) I was stuck doing my first charge in the car as Friday is a travel day for me. All was good through the weekend with pretty heavy use. Monday however, stuck in an office way to early for a meeting. Decided, this phone is so nice, I can watch ESPN Golf Highlight videos from the previous day. I know that takes a lot from the battery so yesterday I didn't think much of it. Today however was a busy day. A few BB phone calls and some moderate Brett Favre news updates. Never thought I would have drained the battery. I hear this tone (I have not yet learned the odd sounds this phone makes) when looking, my battery is red. I did not change the screen brightness from whatever it came out of the box with. My wifi is always on. This is a difference for me than when I was using my 9000. Perhaps I should streamline.

Last edited by Q3 CEO; 08-17-10 at 09:33 PM.
    08-17-10 09:31 PM
    I picked up my phone Friday morning, as I use my phone for business (and also play) I was stuck doing my first charge in the car as Friday is a travel day for me. All was good through the weekend with pretty heavy use. Monday however, stuck in an office way to early for a meeting. Decided, this phone is so nice, I can watch ESPN Golf Highlight videos from the previous day. I know that takes a lot from the battery so yesterday I didn't think much of it. Today however was a busy day. A few BB phone calls and some moderate Brett Favre news updates. Never thought I would have drained the battery. I hear this tone (I have not yet learned the odd sounds this phone makes) when looking, my battery is red. I did not change the screen brightness from whatever it came out of the box with. My wifi is always on. This is a difference for me than when I was using my 9000. Perhaps I should streamline.

Oh, yes, I am learning all the noises. The only ones that I carried over on my microSD card was the "House" theme song for my ringer and the ESPN ticker alert I used for SMS/MMS.

I crushed 35 percent battery in a couple hours on Saturday surfing the web when Comcast had an outage in my area. So, I know what you mean. It surprised me, too, but then again I've never surfed for an hour or longer on a
    BB before. Too painful!
    My 9000 lasted two days on a single charge, my 9700 would go a day, maybe a day and a half and I think the Torch is going to go 24 hours for me and that's fine.
    I have a car charger and a spare wall charger at the office, so, I think I'll be fine. As long as I don't have to charge during the day at work every single day then I'll be happy.
    Hope your battery life improves!
    08-17-10 11:07 PM
    The green send button on my Torch lifts. You can see the light underneath it. Went back to the store last night and of course it dIdn't lift so they said it was normal. Anyone else have this issue? I keep pushing it down its annoying!!

08-18-10 08:42 AM
    I received my Torch on Monday. I have only had the phone a few days but I absolutely love it! My only issue has been with viewing photos/camera pictures. I have taken six pictures over three days. At first I could view the pictures just fine, but now I can only view the last two pictures. The first four pictures I took are there, I can send them successfully however I cannot view them on the phone. Any help/suggestions?

EDIT: I can see the thumbnails; it is the actual picture that I cannot view (when I click on the thumbnail). Also this seems to occur after I have completed a hard reset. Hmmm....!
    Last edited by sarashous; 08-18-10 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Updated
    08-18-10 09:10 AM
    Mixed emotions here. I love my 9700 and hate touchscreens in general, but couldn't help myself. Been playing with it for a few hours, slowly getting used to it. One major problem: When iI just start dialing from the keypad, it writes letters, not numbers and I have t go into the phone app to dial. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
    08-18-10 11:27 AM
    Mixed emotions here. I love my 9700 and hate touchscreens in general, but couldn't help myself. Been playing with it for a few hours, slowly getting used to it. One major problem: When iI just start dialing from the keypad, it writes letters, not numbers and I have t go into the phone app to dial. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
    It actually "writes" letters AND the numerical digits below it. If you hit <Enter> then it will search for the letter string but if you hit the green Talk button then it will dial the numbers.
    08-18-10 04:02 PM
    I am very impressed with how the OS deals with memory management. I have had very little to no memory leak at all. This is with the stock FB and twitter app as well as BerryWeather. I don't think I've seen it go more than -0.6MB and then recover most of that back to -0.1MB. Coming from the 9000 this is my biggest surprise.
    08-18-10 04:39 PM
327 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD