10-27-10 07:21 AM
327 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Just came out of my local AT&T store here in Pt. Loma, near San Diego. 15 minutes to walk out the store with a new phone!

I showed up like a minute before the store opening and I was the second in line. It will be REALLY interesting to see the sales figures for the Torch by the end of this weekend.

Two initial impressions:

1. Very very solid build quality like most people have been saying. I was using an 8900 (just sold my 9700 shortly before Torch was released) and I was kind of surprised at how solid the phone felt. This is a good thing.

2. The lock button is SUPER sensitive. They need to add some sort of software fix such that it requires sustained pressure to activate or something. I've put my phone in my pocket a couple times and all times I've accidentally unlocked the phone. The "fix" for me is to NOT push the lock button when I push the phone into my pocket but I shouldn't have to think about this -_-". I hope I find this less annoying, not more so.

More later as I get a chance to play!

Go with BEIKS Keyboard locker pro app. which is free.
    08-12-10 03:06 PM
    08-12-10 03:12 PM
    I just got mine from the local AT&T store (Pleasant Hill, CA) while I took my lunch break from work!

An employee by the name of Alberto helped me with the purchase. He actually said that I had a $50 credit on my account, so the pricing for the phone for me was $149.99! I had no idea I had that credit, so I was pretty excited to hear that. After taxes, I paid $196.24 out the door. I totally walked out of the store with a huge smile on my face.

I'm loving it so far. I can't wait to get home to so I can transfer everything from my 9700.
    08-12-10 03:35 PM
    Well finally got mine, had a little surprise when I exchanged my 9700 i had bought just 30days ago because they lowered the price to $100 and gave me $100 worth of accessories and they guy just said they were free in a promo. So I paid $135.00 for mine, $100 for the phone and $35 restocking fee in addition to the $200 i had already paid for the 9700. But fine!! I got it.

My first impressions are:

Is heavier and it feels bigger on my hand and close to my ear. Close to the 9000 in feel, I know is not.

The screen is a lot sharper with much better contrast than I had expected reading all the reviews.

Is much faster and fluid than expected again after reading the reviews.

Browser is great!!! love how the text adjust with the double tap.

Virtual keyboard in portrait is bad, keys and way to small and skinny, in landscape is much better. but then again I bought this phone to keep my bb physical keyboard and at that is great, feels exactly like the 9700 with one exception. The corners are raised and when typing #'s holding the alt button is uncomfortable. Small price to pay.

I can't tell when the camera is focused like with 9700 where the small box turns green when ready.

Ok one last impression, I never use covers with any of my phones and it works for me, I handle them with care. But with this phone.. don't know why but I feel like is very very easy to drop. Don't know if is the edges or the material or the weight but it does not feel secure in my had at all. Maybe it will with time.

just my 2 cents
    08-12-10 03:45 PM
    i got it this morning at like 9am... anywho i purchased the phone full price for about 320... i dont know how and havent looked at the receipt yet cause im still at work.. im loving the phone BBOS6 is a good upgrade and the phone itself is terrific
    08-12-10 03:46 PM
    I forgot to mention that I'm currently using my 9000 holster for the 9800. Fits well and it also responds to the magnet.
    08-12-10 03:49 PM
    I was excited about the Torch. I really wanted the new OS, better web browsing, etc. Purchased one today at the AT&T store. On the first call I made, I got feedback every time I spoke; like a buzzing or static on my end with every word. I went back to the store and they replaced it. Same exact problem. The salesperson tried the phone and agreed it was a problem, then voided the transaction. I'm back to my Bold.
    08-12-10 03:53 PM
    I was excited about the Torch. I really wanted the new OS, better web browsing, etc. Purchased one today at the AT&T store. On the first call I made, I got feedback every time I spoke; like a buzzing or static on my end with every word. I went back to the store and they replaced it. Same exact problem. The salesperson tried the phone and agreed it was a problem, then voided the transaction. I'm back to my Bold.
    I get the exact same problem, I like to know if is a wide spread issue
    08-12-10 04:04 PM
    I get the exact same problem, I like to know if is a wide spread issue
    8 people in my office bought them at 10am, 6 have returned theirs for this issue.

Back to the 9700 for them.
    08-12-10 04:08 PM
    Thankfully I have had no problems with the above issues. And call quality is excellent. Speaker phone is also very loud. The only thing I could wish for is a better screen. It will do ok- but I can really tell the difference coming from an iphone 4.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 04:14 PM
    Thankfully I have had no problems with the above issues. And call quality is excellent. Speaker phone is also very loud. The only thing I could wish for is a better screen. It will do ok- but I can really tell the difference coming from an iphone 4.

Its because the iphone 4 has a custom made screen by apple called the retina display. Something RIM won't do for years or maybe centuries. Don't get me wrong i'm not an apple fanboy and may never be. BB is perfect for me cuz it does everything I want/need.

08-12-10 04:28 PM
    On pricing I paid $199 plus tax which made it $216 & some change...not bad considering I had 15 months left till next upgrade I even got past the $75 early upgrade fee somehow...I'm a mktg major, I'm able to talk my way thru most things w/ ease. Scored an Otter Box commuter, the one w/ a jelly liner....it'll be returned asap, just waiting on my clear shield from stealguards.com ...the Otterbox makes the device look TERRIBLE
    08-12-10 04:37 PM

That screen looks beautiful!!! The phone looks so much better then when I messed with it in the store
    08-12-10 04:41 PM
    i used to have that problem with my storm hear in canada that buzzing feed back noise it wasnt the phone it was the network it on the phone from telus walked me through it and fixed it
    08-12-10 04:50 PM
    When the phone is closed the screen portion is somewhat jiggly, nothing major but it is noticable when tapping things on the screen. Doesn't jiggle when slid open. Anyone else have experience this?
    08-12-10 04:52 PM
    8 people in my office bought them at 10am, 6 have returned theirs for this issue.

Back to the 9700 for them.
    Doh! Here we go again RIM.
    08-12-10 05:00 PM
    Got mine! I love it. It's been great so far. I've got it all sorted out to my liking, and all I can say is that this is definitely the best blackberry out there.
    08-12-10 05:00 PM
    I am so far loving mine to death! I got some of my apps installed waiting on my beta keycode's to come in so I can facebook and yahoo messenger but so far it has been nice. I have made multiple calls so far on my phone and no static. I just went back to the store and picked up a two piece guard for my phone... doesn't seem to be very protective but hey it seems to work.
    08-12-10 05:08 PM
    When the phone is closed the screen portion is somewhat jiggly, nothing major but it is noticable when tapping things on the screen. Doesn't jiggle when slid open. Anyone else have experience this?

Mine is sturdy as heck... no jiggle at all!
    08-12-10 05:09 PM
    My 9700 has the buzz/feedback on phone calls occasionally, its not an all the time thing so I know its not the device. I think like tumer said, its more an issue with the network at the moment. Maybe it needs a case

I've purchased one as an upgrade for someone here in the office, I'll play with his when it comes it before I decide to move from the 9700 to the 9800.... but so far everything I have seen has me intrigued.... all it needs now is tweetdeck.
    08-12-10 05:12 PM
    Got mine! I love it. It's been great so far. I've got it all sorted out to my liking, and all I can say is that this is definitely the best blackberry out there.
    Can't wait for mine!!!!!!!!!!!!
    08-12-10 05:12 PM
    Got mine a couple hours ago. So far so awesome. Got something pretty damn special extra too. Once my camera battery is charged I'll post pics. Frickin saweeeeet!
    08-12-10 05:20 PM

5 on line 9 a.m. @ a store in Southwest Las Vegas.

I think this phone is gonna be a big hit!!!

Its pretty ease to learn the new pathways and the touch screen stuff.

I am sure in a weeks time it will be mastered.

As much as there are complaints about the screen resolution, it seems fine. I am sure when the next version comes out with HD, I will spring for it too.

OS6 is a huge upgrade

So glad ATT smartened up and got rid of that stupid $100 mail in rebate and debit card.

A brand new TORCH out the door for $216 USD!!!
    08-12-10 05:20 PM
    Picked up my Torch 9800 this morning!!! Swapped it an hour later because the convenience key fell off, but the second one is perfect! Picked up the phone from Best Buy then went and bought the Otter Box commuter case for it at AT&T!

This phone is sweet! So much to learn and so little patients! HAHA!
    08-12-10 05:47 PM
    OK. I was able to get an upgrade even though I had just got one in January. Even better was I paid the 2-year contract price only. No exceptions upgrade or anything so right around $211 out the door.
    Here's the pics. Pretty standard. We all know what's in the box.

Now this is the extra something I got:

Not sure if everyone's stores employees were wearing these but mine were. When I got there I was like "sweet shirt!" The asst manager who hooked me up with the upgrade said hang on. Brought me out one and said "here ya go!" Saweeeeet! Great day I'm having.
    08-12-10 05:47 PM
327 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD