Hi CB folks,

I am in a MAJOR bind. My BB Torch 9800 is on the outs. It is in constant reboot mode. The phone has been acting strange since I found out all the data on my 4GB media card disappeared yesterday. There is something very wrong and I need my phone for work. If any can assist me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
    01-06-11 07:22 PM
    take the media card out of the phone and leave it out to see if it still reboots. if it does I'd back up all your data and apps and reload the software.
    radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 07:25 PM
    There are threads about restoring a nuked phone. Not difficult to do. Search and find. Then folllow the instructions. Worked for me without a hitch more than once. Best of luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 07:26 PM
    Either do an exchange or warranty replacement. If you can't exchange it, file an insurance claim.
    radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 07:28 PM
    That's kinda what I was about to suggest - pull the battery, pull the media card, re-insert battery and see what happens. I've heard of bad media cards making the phone go haywire before.

Good luck...

01-06-11 07:28 PM
    Hi there.

1. Chill! (I know it's hard but the more you panic, the harder to get things solved)
    2. Do like what the above said (battery pull, remove media card)
    3. It should just work fine. If not send back for exchange
    radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 07:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying the media card out and battery pull. If that doesn't work, who do I return this thing to? It was one of the first batches of BB Torches that AT&T received, so it's past the 30 days. I can't afford to be out of pocket $600 for a new phone, when this thing just blew up.

Ok, never mind. The battery pull and media card pull did not work. The phone is in constant reboot mode and will not even turn off. I hate to freak out, but I need a phone for work. Do I take it back to AT&T? Thanks for the help everyone. It's so sad I've become so dependent on a "phone".
    01-06-11 07:48 PM
    A warranty exchange or an insurance claim can be done. The insurance claim will cost you but not as much as a new one.

Call AT&T and troubleshoot with them. They may suggest similar options. You won't know until you try.
    radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 07:51 PM
    A warranty exchange will get you a refurb and an insurance claim will get you a new one.
    radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 07:52 PM
    Can I do this at a corporate store or do I have to call? This was my 2nd Torch to make matters worse. The first one had to be returned within 1-2 weeks. This one is only 3 months old. Sorry to be dramatic, but I'm sick to my stomach.
    01-06-11 07:55 PM
    Call AT&T Customer Service and tell them your issue. Also, ask to speak to technical support.

radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 08:03 PM
    800-331-0500. This is the number that I use.

radgirl likes this.
    01-06-11 08:05 PM
    Well CB folks and a big thanks to you all, I spent the better half of my evening (about 2.5 hours) on the phone with AT&T and RIM last night. Finally, they will be sending me my THIRD BB Torch 9800. They wouldn't even budge on giving me a different phone. To add insult to injury, I had to pay and extra $12 for expedited shipping so I hopefully get my phone before I depart for work. I don't have experience with other cell phone companies (and for that matter, other smart phone brands). I have been a loyal AT&T and RIM/Blackberry customer, but after this 4 month fiasco, it's time to leave AT&T and possibly BB.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. I found a temporary solution until I can either sell this refurbed BB Torch that is set to arrive in 1-2 days or wait until my contract is up. AT&T and RIM should be ashamed of themselves for putting out a defective product and not owning up to it. Thanks for listening to me rant.
    01-07-11 08:54 AM
    Sounds like you just got a defective device. I know it must be frustrating, and I'm sure I'd be ripping too if it were my phone, but it is just a piece of hardware, and sometimes hardware just breaks. It's unfortunate that it's going to cost you $12, but that's still better than $600! And from everything I've seen, refurbs are more reliable and solid than brand new. Hope you have better luck with this one than with the first two!

radgirl likes this.
    01-07-11 11:04 AM
    Sounds like you just got a defective device. I know it must be frustrating, and I'm sure I'd be ripping too if it were my phone, but it is just a piece of hardware, and sometimes hardware just breaks. It's unfortunate that it's going to cost you $12, but that's still better than $600! And from everything I've seen, refurbs are more reliable and solid than brand new. Hope you have better luck with this one than with the first two!

I have to agree. Way back (seems like so long ago) when I had my curve, my refurbed was WAY better than the 2 new phones I had...
    radgirl likes this.
    01-07-11 11:07 AM
    18to12,

Thanks for your comforting words. I know this whole thread sounds ridiculous, but I'm honestly sick of this. I hope you are right about the refurb being better than new, out of the box. I really wanted the Torch to work. I love the concept. I'm a BB lover at heart, but they really let me down this time. This is unacceptable and if this how they are doing to keep doing business, there won't be anymore BB around. RIM will sink and someone else will gladly take their place.

Very true, I only had to pay $12 for the expedited shipping, instead of a whole new phone. I just with more companies actually had customer service instead of giving the customers the run around. Just stand behind your products and services and maybe you'll have more loyal people.

Sorry RIM/BB, you are a HUGE disappointment (this coming from someone who's used BB's for the last decade).

Thanks for hearing me out everyone.
    01-07-11 11:13 AM
    I have to agree. Way back (seems like so long ago) when I had my curve, my refurbed was WAY better than the 2 new phones I had...
    I pray you all are correct. But I've really lost respect for BB. Let's hope this refurb works and when its time to move on, move on.
    01-07-11 11:16 AM
    Defects happen, you know.

01-07-11 11:22 AM
    Defects happen, you know.

I completely understand that defects happen, but this is my 3rd Torch in 4 months. This is unacceptable. But what is even more horrifying is meat grinder AT&T and RIM put me through last night, all so I could get a refurbished phone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with all the technology we have, the things we own are a complete crap shoot as to whether or not they are going to work on a consistent basis.

I work in IT for a living (and have done so for many, many years), so this sort of thing ticks me off even more. With all the technology we have, it honestly feels like we are in the stone-age. I don't care if you have a BB, and iPhone, a Droid, a Palm, or whatever other smart phone (or other piece of technology). They put these items to market so fast and with such little care and consideration, that you don't know when they are going to blow up. But see, they are eventually going to blow up and you better cover your ****, because in the end, it's the consumer who will lose, not the company
    putting out the POS.

Again, forgive my ranting and raving, I just need to vent. This hasn't been my week and the Torch blowing up was the icing on the cake. Especially when I have to leave for work Sunday. I appreciate you all listening to me. I'm glad someone out there understands.
    01-07-11 11:30 AM
    Vent away! It's a major frustration when something you rely on heavily craps out.

For whatever it's worth, this is my third BB, and I've only replaced the other two because I wanted to, not because I had to. Maybe I've just been lucky, but BB and AT&T have done well by me so far. I did need tech support on this phone once, and while that was a bit of a p.i.a. to get through to RIM support, they did get me straightened out ...eventually. That process could definitely stand to be streamlined a bit, but then I don't know of any that are totally painless.

Hang in there, and good luck...

01-07-11 12:13 PM
    Vent away! It's a major frustration when something you rely on heavily craps out.

For whatever it's worth, this is my third BB, and I've only replaced the other two because I wanted to, not because I had to. Maybe I've just been lucky, but BB and AT&T have done well by me so far. I did need tech support on this phone once, and while that was a bit of a p.i.a. to get through to RIM support, they did get me straightened out ...eventually. That process could definitely stand to be streamlined a bit, but then I don't know of any that are totally painless.

Hang in there, and good luck...

I've mainly had good luck with BB. I had a 9000 go bad on me with the trackball (which I still miss) and now the Torch fiasco. I honestly regret going with the Torch and selling my old 9700. It was a good phone and did what I needed it to do. Maybe it's not even the actual phone's issue, but rather OS 6. Who knows. I know I'm angry and I've lost a day of my life. Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. It's very frustrating. Maybe it's time to rethink this whole dependency on phone issue.
    01-07-11 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD