I'm looking for a good contacts program. Compared to commercial programs on other platforms (such as my Nokia N800 and N810), the contacts program provided is very poor. What I'd like to see specifically is a program that enables me to create groups and view those lists (and call them) without the space consuming mechanism in the Torch. It might not be so bad if there was a way to create folders in the favorites but doing it in All defeats the purpose. An example of a reasonably good contacts program is GPE Contacts, an OSS program. It would also be a benefit if the program could work with the existing contacts to transfer files.
    Thanks,

Nick.
    10-25-10 06:27 PM
    Use the filter option

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 06:35 PM
    And what's your problem with the way the Torch does contacts groups now? Pretty simple and works...
    10-25-10 06:40 PM
    As mentioned, just use the filters...
    10-25-10 09:19 PM
    I guess to understand my issue with the way its done with the provided software, you'd have to see how it's done in commercial packages. Filters or no filters, it's not as clean or as easy.
    Thanks.
    10-25-10 09:28 PM
    Every approach is different and "better" is subjective. Some people like a simple address book.

Xobni for BlackBerry - The smartest address book you'll ever use. one approach.
    10-25-10 09:30 PM
    Add to Contacts app work pretty well.
    10-25-10 09:31 PM
    Every approach is different and "better" is subjective. Some people like a simple address book.

Xobni for BlackBerry - The smartest address book you'll ever use. one approach.
    True regarding how "better" is defined. To each his/her own.

My main problem with "filter" is where it is located in the menu, i.e. way down at the bottom. I would like to determine where in the menu to put specific items such as placing the "filter" closer to the top where it is visible upon opening the menu. I like easier and that might make the provided contacts program more usable.

I did look at Xobni for BlackBerry but the site states, as of September, they do not support OS 6 or the Torch.
    Thanks,

Nick.
    11-05-10 01:03 PM
    Add to Contacts app work pretty well.
    Are you referring to a separate application? If so, can you provide a link?
    Thanks,

Nick.
    11-05-10 01:08 PM
    The Blackberry does it as about as good as it gets. Could not be more simple and work better. Are you sure you are taking the time for learn how powerful it is? I have not seen a lot of complaints.
    11-05-10 02:57 PM
    ^^^ +1.

The Blackberry Contact Manager works pretty well imo. I have never had a real problem with it. It stores and finds all my 250+ contacts with no problems. It is tightly integrated to Outlook which, I like.

Any program can be improved and I would love to have my theme colors and fonts extended to the base BlackBerry applications.

I would also like the Filter function improved so that I could select Friends and Family or Work Numbers but exclude Human Resources and then include Professional Contacts too.

The above is simple boolean and should be easy to implement.
    11-05-10 03:08 PM
    The Blackberry does it as about as good as it gets. Could not be more simple and work better. Are you sure you are taking the time for learn how powerful it is? I have not seen a lot of complaints.
    Yes, I've spent a good deal of time with it. My favorite right now is not on a BlackBerry. It's open source (for my Nokia N810) and is called GPE Contacts. You can define, like the BB, how many contacts you want and then just select the group from a pulldown menu. Maybe when I learn (and have the time) the BB development environment I'll try porting the GPE Contacts over. Another excellent program with an excellent contact program is EssentialPIM Pro (Windows). In that program, the groups are listed as in a file hierarchy on the left side with all the contacts and their information on the left side. Just select the group and all the data is shown. If you've set up filters (such as which fields you want to see), they will show below.

Folks, don't misunderstand me - if the BB contacts works for you - great. To me it is adequate. I would do better with it if I could at least move the "filter" in the main menu up higher so I don't have to constantly scroll down to get to it.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Nick.
    11-05-10 06:52 PM
    I would do better with it if I could at least move the "filter" in the main menu up higher so I don't have to constantly scroll down to get to it.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Nick.
    When in Contacts..simply hit Menu..then hit "F" key..it takes you right to Filter..no scrolling needed. You can also hit "D" for delete, "E" for Edit, etc etc.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-05-10 at 08:25 PM.
    11-05-10 08:19 PM
    When in Contacts..simply hit Menu..then hit "F" key..it takes you right to Filter..no scrolling needed. You can also hit "D" for delete, "E" for Edit, etc etc.
    Thanks! I'll see how that works. That's 2-for-2 you've helped me out.

Nick.
    11-05-10 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD