IPhone4 is a turd bird phone. Its a gimmicky phone and all the commercial is about the front face camera. Are you serious? Its too simplistic with no user costomization. I admit the browser is great and the transition is buttery smooth with no lag. Other then that I see the phone as unproductive for everyday use. My 6 yrs old niece loves it though.

If I were you I would wait for the 2nd iteration of the 9800 or get the android...more bang for the money.

Cmon RIM, get a better resolution and at least an 800GHz processor in Torch please.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by noized77; 08-09-10 at 12:05 AM.
    08-09-10 12:02 AM
    Oh good Lord. Seriously guys? Are we still on this iphone is a toy and bb is a serious business tool? I have just as many middle school students walking around with blackberries as iphones as Android phones. I'd actually gather to say that more students carry around blackberries due to so many bogo deals. When I got my original curve, I could have gotten up to 4 free; this alone would have made me pick a bb...not because it's so much more sophisticated than an iphone.

How many of you on here seriously going on about business needs are CEOs of large coorporations? How many of you are really dependent upon getting your email in 1 minute vs 7 minutes? Some of you guys seriously need to get over yourselves.

If I was limited on cash and I liked the iphone and bb equally as well, I'd go for what I could afford. If you can get the iphone for $159, get the iphone and sell it and you can make enough off it that you should be able to buy the bb outright.
    08-09-10 12:26 AM
    Guys, I recently went from an iPhone 3G to a Bold 9700. Love the 9700 but after a few weeks I do miss the touch screen. Only prob is now I can't bring back my BB to Rogers. Tried a Torch in the US this week and loved it. I would have to pay full price though. I am eligible for an iPhone 4 for $159. Only thing staying me away is the antenna issue. Don't know how much I could get for the 9700 on Used Ottawa. If I could get a decent price I would go with the Torch since my 9700 is only a month old. As I said I really do miss the scrolling, pinch zoom and better browsing on the touch screen. Honestly don't know what to do
    get what ever best fits your needs.

the antenna issue was blown way the eff out of proportion. i have "death gripped my iP4 todeath and i havent dropped any calls or any of that malarkey that you have been seeing online/tv.

but thats just my personal experience. I am a past bb (9630) and iphone 3G user and the iphone just works for me.

good luck
    08-09-10 12:32 AM
    I've had an I4 for a couple of weeks ( work paid ), and also have had a Storm 2 for 8ish months, plus I've previously ( and still have ) a 9000.

I4 is buttery smooth, but I've had it lag on occasion ( aka freeze and not do a thing ). Browser and screen clarity are fantastic. UI is also great overall.

I4 email still can't touch the BlackBerry. I have one of my gmail accounts on both my I4 and S2, and I ALWAYS get my email much faster on the S2. Yes, html email on the I4 rocks, but the management of your email on the Berry's still wins. Plus, I've had roughly 30% of the messages not show up on the iPhone, while they still show up on the Berry.

I consistently have people ask me to repeat myself on the I4, and have had several people say I sound much clearer on the S2. I've consistently had people tell me I sound "compressed" on the I4. I haven't had any antenna issues on the I4, but have had proximity problems, and have had several dropped calls from the proximity sensor misbehaving when taking the phone away from my face.

The I4 hands down beats the S2's screen and browser. In direct sunlight, the S2 wins by a mile. The I4's popup notification is very basic and irritating, compared with BlackBerry's magical LED.

For speakerphone, my Bold >>>> my S2 >> I4. For phone calls, my Bold > my S2 >> I4. For overall use as a business device -- "always-there always-reliable phone, email, messaging", my old Bold wins.

I pulled out my Bold the other day and really missed the keyboard, shortcuts, screen, overall quality, and the relative speed at which you can get things done, compared to every other phone.

The Berrys still have more flexibility in what you can do -- cut n' paste in every app, true multitasking, very customizable, available leaks / hybrids, etc, and all of that appeals to me.

I would miss the I4 if it went away, but I would not be able to function if my Berry went away. Given the improvements on the 9800 - webkit browser, speed, memory, html email, tabbed browsing, 5mp camera ( the vid camera on the I4 isn't all that, tho the still camera is very nice ), I would lean toward the 9800, because those are the things iPhones have always done better, and now Berry is closing in making any differences in those features marginal. But that's just me. I want the BlackBerry top-flight essential business features -- quality of radio, quality of keyboard / speakerphone / microphone pickups / immediacy of messaging / flexibility of the system / etc, and everything else is a bonus.
    Last edited by eazymac; 08-09-10 at 12:41 AM.
    08-09-10 12:37 AM
    Oh good Lord. Seriously guys? Are we still on this iphone is a toy and bb is a serious business tool? I have just as many middle school students walking around with blackberries as iphones as Android phones. I'd actually gather to say that more students carry around blackberries due to so many bogo deals. When I got my original curve, I could have gotten up to 4 free; this alone would have made me pick a bb...not because it's so much more sophisticated than an iphone.

How many of you on here seriously going on about business needs are CEOs of large coorporations? How many of you are really dependent upon getting your email in 1 minute vs 7 minutes? Some of you guys seriously need to get over yourselves.

If I was limited on cash and I liked the iphone and bb equally as well, I'd go for what I could afford. If you can get the iphone for $159, get the iphone and sell it and you can make enough off it that you should be able to buy the bb outright.
    I am a project manager and have team members on the ground spread out up to hundreds of miles apart, with different groups working on completely different tasks, that all tie in from my perspective. Emails when the topics are hot need to be pushed ASAP for me. If iPhones take longer than 5 minutes, then that would be a PITA for me.
    08-09-10 11:35 AM

I'm assuming you work with middle school students, so you're employed by some kind of school. Most teachers don't rely on emails to complete everyday tasks. I work in microelectronics, and I have grown to learn the importance of email. Sure, an extra 4 or 5 minutes may not sound like that much, but trust me: when some projects are so hot, that they require expedited response times, that extra 4 or 5 minutes can seem like an eternity. I know this is true in my field of work, as it is in many other business-oriented, high-tech fields.
    08-10-10 04:49 PM
    I am a project manager and have team members on the ground spread out up to hundreds of miles apart, with different groups working on completely different tasks, that all tie in from my perspective. Emails when the topics are hot need to be pushed ASAP for me. If iPhones take longer than 5 minutes, then that would be a PITA for me.
    I completely understand this. But the majority of BB users are not relying on 1 minute email delivery time vs 9 minute delivery time.
    08-10-10 08:46 PM
    I'm assuming you work with middle school students, so you're employed by some kind of school. Most teachers don't rely on emails to complete everyday tasks. I work in microelectronics, and I have grown to learn the importance of email. Sure, an extra 4 or 5 minutes may not sound like that much, but trust me: when some projects are so hot, that they require expedited response times, that extra 4 or 5 minutes can seem like an eternity. I know this is true in my field of work, as it is in many other business-oriented, high-tech fields.
    You're right. If I don't get my email for a few hours, I'll be fine. I'm required to check it several times a day. However, the mass majority of people with blackberries are okay if they get their email in 7 minutes vs 1 minute. Very rarely is it life and death that someone gets an email in that 30 second time frame. Or it's very rare that someone is going to lose a multi billion dollar deal if an email isn't received in 30 seconds.
    08-10-10 08:50 PM
    I've had an I4 for a couple of weeks ( work paid ), and also have had a Storm 2 for 8ish months, plus I've previously ( and still have ) a 9000.

I4 is buttery smooth, but I've had it lag on occasion ( aka freeze and not do a thing ). Browser and screen clarity are fantastic. UI is also great overall.

I4 email still can't touch the BlackBerry. I have one of my gmail accounts on both my I4 and S2, and I ALWAYS get my email much faster on the S2. Yes, html email on the I4 rocks, but the management of your email on the Berry's still wins. Plus, I've had roughly 30% of the messages not show up on the iPhone, while they still show up on the Berry.

I consistently have people ask me to repeat myself on the I4, and have had several people say I sound much clearer on the S2. I've consistently had people tell me I sound "compressed" on the I4. I haven't had any antenna issues on the I4, but have had proximity problems, and have had several dropped calls from the proximity sensor misbehaving when taking the phone away from my face.

The I4 hands down beats the S2's screen and browser. In direct sunlight, the S2 wins by a mile. The I4's popup notification is very basic and irritating, compared with BlackBerry's magical LED.

For speakerphone, my Bold >>>> my S2 >> I4. For phone calls, my Bold > my S2 >> I4. For overall use as a business device -- "always-there always-reliable phone, email, messaging", my old Bold wins.

I pulled out my Bold the other day and really missed the keyboard, shortcuts, screen, overall quality, and the relative speed at which you can get things done, compared to every other phone.

The Berrys still have more flexibility in what you can do -- cut n' paste in every app, true multitasking, very customizable, available leaks / hybrids, etc, and all of that appeals to me.

I would miss the I4 if it went away, but I would not be able to function if my Berry went away. Given the improvements on the 9800 - webkit browser, speed, memory, html email, tabbed browsing, 5mp camera ( the vid camera on the I4 isn't all that, tho the still camera is very nice ), I would lean toward the 9800, because those are the things iPhones have always done better, and now Berry is closing in making any differences in those features marginal. But that's just me. I want the BlackBerry top-flight essential business features -- quality of radio, quality of keyboard / speakerphone / microphone pickups / immediacy of messaging / flexibility of the system / etc, and everything else is a bonus.
    Gotta say that I loved your comparison... thanks
    08-10-10 08:57 PM
    i tend to agree with majority of comparison between ip4 n bb.

ip4: fantastic screen, smooth unglitchy interface, great if not best browsing on a mobile, email integration is horrible unless you have exchange. TONS of apps and the fact putting 2thousand apps wont eat up mem like bb.

bb: alright screen, interface is ok though will get bogged down, browsing is horrible, email integration is excelent via bis and can wirelessly sync contacts, email, calendar without exchange/bes. not so great apps but some great apps, mem issues so apps are installed at a need basis to conserve memory.

One of the issues with bb browsing i think is that all browsing is routed through rim servers or with opera with opera servers i think that effects the speed of browsing a lot... they can/should make the web proxy to be open so any open wifi can be used and not rim's servers.

For me i would love to get an ip4 and i am 30+. But i just cannot live without the capacity to do wireless pim sync.

e-mail without push is also a deal breaker on ip4.

for me push email is a must and i cannot use "yahoo" email for push or mac me.
    08-10-10 11:27 PM
    with other gadgets like the ipod touch and the new ipad!
    i don't know why it's hard for people to let go of the iphone 4.
    especially with the antenna issues.
    wait till the new ipod touch.. which will probalby look like the iphone 4 comes out.
    then you'll be wanting a real phone with multimedia rather than a multimedia device with a phone function
    08-11-10 05:32 AM
    This post is coming from a 50 year old professional. I have owned Blackberry's for the last 10 years with the iphone 3GS as a secondary phone. My latest was the 9700.

I have recently purchased the iPhone 4 to replace the 9700 that was given to my wife. The following are honest accesments:

Screen: No phone out has a better screen then the iPhone 4. Those who dispute that do not know what they are talking about.

OS: I am sure the OS 6 on the BB will be improved but the OS 4.01 on the iphone blows away the BB. It is fast with 0 lag.

email: BB is the standard but I can tell you that the IP4 is right there, now with new features like threaded email is fantastic for any business person.

Browser: IP4 hands down no comparison

Apps: IP4 hands down but the BB is started to make a statement

Keyboard: Totally preference.

Processor: IP4 1 GHZ vs 650 for BB

Battery Life: The 9700 has unbelievable battery life. My IP 3GS was not good. The IP4 is so much better and was the sole reason for my switch to the IP4. I can now go heavy all day from 7 am to 11 pm and still have 20-30% battery but same usage on the 9700 I would have 50%. BB is still better.
    Will be interesting to see what the Torch brings. When I have the Storm it was terrible.

The antenna issue is taken care of with any case (who dosent use a case these days) and I have 0 issues with reception.

I find it very dissappointing that the Torch has a screen resolution only equal to the 9700. The slide part of the phone is one of those take it or leave it things. I am sure the process of sliding will result in accidental key presses. I have tried this myself and had that happen.

Will be interesting starting tomorrow when everyone finally gets the new Torch in their hands. Good luck in your search.

Charlie C
    08-11-10 06:59 AM

Processor: IP4 1 GHZ vs 650 for BB

Charlie C
    on the processor.. isn't the iphone 4 running on 800 and not 1Ghz?
    08-11-10 07:48 AM
    The iPhone 4 is for music and apps. It is weaker as a phone and for e-mail. Its processor is rated at 1Ghz but does not run at 1Ghz. Apple has never disclosed the speed that the procesor runs at. Apple has been very coy about this for the obvious reason that people place too much importance on these specs and, with many things Apple, people believe the hype. There is no denying that the iPhone is a great device, let's just get beyond the hype.

The Torch is for communicating: phone, e-mail, you name it. It does these things very well. It is not for music and apps. Torch covers the basics - you tube kinds of things. But, if you want the kind of convenience of the app store or itunes, forget it.

Both are well-engineered and well built. I prefer the Torch.
    08-11-10 07:50 AM
    my wife is happy with the iphone 4 ( meaning i can borrow it every now and then)
    but i'll be happier to switch from a bold 9000 to a 9800 tomorrow..
    everyone is a happy camper in my book
    08-11-10 07:59 AM
    Gotta say that I loved your comparison... thanks
    I also loved the comparison. Objectivity is what it is missed at reviews sometimes.

The Blackberry is not a browsing phone (at this very moment my 9700 loads pages using wi-fi slower than my iPod), it does not have the prettiest UI, but when I tried to think myself without the BB, all the things that I'm used to do and tried to do it on my Iphone, it is nowhere near my needs. I use my phone as a USB port memory, BBM at LEAST 200 messages a day, receive 50-100 mails a day... to make a long story short, my needs are suited with a blackberry.
    I like the experience on my iPod but since the Nextel PTT 8350 sucks (I also considered to have the 8350i and get the Iphone 4, but I often travel and Nextel does not offer service in Europe) I can't think myself without a GSM blackberry. Plus the battery of the i4 it is a question to me. I need to change my BB battery once a day because I'm not always around to plug it and charge. When I visit small towns in my state I can't be asking if someone let me charge my phone, I just take the dead battery and bam a charged one starts... That can't be done with the Iphone...

No phone is better than the other, the needs are just different and they offer different things. Get the one it suits you.
    08-11-10 10:42 AM
    The iPhone 4 is for music and apps. It is weaker as a phone and for e-mail. Its processor is rated at 1Ghz but does not run at 1Ghz. Apple has never disclosed the speed that the procesor runs at. Apple has been very coy about this for the obvious reason that people place too much importance on these specs and, with many things Apple, people believe the hype. There is no denying that the iPhone is a great device, let's just get beyond the hype.

The Torch is for communicating: phone, e-mail, you name it. It does these things very well. It is not for music and apps. Torch covers the basics - you tube kinds of things. But, if you want the kind of convenience of the app store or itunes, forget it.

Both are well-engineered and well built. I prefer the Torch.
    How is the iphone4 weak for email? It has full Exchange support and gmail push. Threaded messaging and the a great virtual keyboard. Please explain.
    08-11-10 10:54 AM
    Madlaw,

You are 100% correct. Mine is on the companies Microsoft Exchange Server. I get emails to my IPhone 4 quicker then my company laptop hooked in on the VPN! The threaded email feature is awesome.
    08-11-10 12:19 PM
    This all comes down to what you want. Personally I will do a BB or Iphone any day because of call quality. I have iTouch so in all in one device isn't needed. I have the Droid X which, for me is better than any BB or even the iPhone 4. However that is my opinion. I went to Android to get exchang email for work. I can not do BES but from what my coworker tells me I dont want to. The reason I would install leaked OS and have to get it all set back up with the BES server.

This all comes down to what you want. I think exchange email is better than push any day. I get my exchange email before my work laptop on the network. My Gmail comes quick as well, but it should given its Android.

Given the two options I would do a BB Torch over the iPhone 4.
    08-11-10 01:06 PM
    It's hard to get credence for what you're trying to say just because you own a business. There are other professions which need BB capabilities more than some businesses.

However that's a thin line - people do knowingly give up what's useful on a BB to go for eye-candy fad; they justify it by telling themselves they can "work around" and "make do" with it. Nothing wrong with that, personal choices.
    1) There are also other professions that need iPhone capabilities more than what Berries offer

2) Do you have any idea how arrogant and condescending your second sentence is?

And before you "rage on", I'm a Berry user who doesn't like a lot of the things about Apple and the iPhone. I also own my own business with 14 employees across the country, and am very definitely north of 28. And I'm both technically inclined and do a h3ll of a lot of research before I buy - on the smartphone issue especially, since I set the technology direction for our company and we're in the middle of selecting new computer systems.

And I'm torn. If the iPhone 4 hadn't improved the batter life and added multi-tasking it wouldn't have been of interest. But it did. If the Torch had done better on performance it would have completely won me over - but it didn't.

So the OP and subject of this thread is of huge interest and potential impact. Dismissive posts like yours do not help those of us doing serious research.

- R.
    08-11-10 01:19 PM
    The antenna is a non issue and completely overblown.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's such a non issue that at least one person resigned as a result.....
    08-11-10 01:27 PM
    [QUOTE=kilted_thrower;5446145]You're right. If I don't get my email for a few hours, I'll be fine. I'm required to check it several times a day. However, the mass majority of people with blackberries are okay if they get their email in 7 minutes vs 1 minute. Very rarely is it life and death that someone gets an email in that 30 second time frame. Or it's very rare that someone is going to lose a multi billion dollar deal if an email isn't received in 30 seconds.[/QUOTE

You are right about the majority of people not needing email THAT SECOND. But for those that do need it, BB blows i4 out of the water. (That's one of few things that the Torch does better than i4) If i4 had a physical keyboard, I would make the switch in a heartbeat.
    08-11-10 01:53 PM
    Madlaw,

You are 100% correct. Mine is on the companies Microsoft Exchange Server. I get emails to my IPhone 4 quicker then my company laptop hooked in on the VPN! The threaded email feature is awesome.
    So true, I do wish the iPhone synched tasks however.
    08-11-10 02:00 PM
    How is the iphone4 weak for email? It has full Exchange support and gmail push. Threaded messaging and the a great virtual keyboard. Please explain.
    I didn't say the iPhone was weak. I said it was weaker. Do you really disagree with this? I have colleagues using both devices. Iphone users tend not to capitalize, have misspellings or misused words. Blackberry users don't. I chalk this up to the fact that Blackberries are easier to use. Push e-mail and exchange support are necessary, but it does not end there.
    08-11-10 02:04 PM
    The need for instant email is not only for those rarefied individuals who have to close million dollar deals. Try a program manager whose IT systems for which she is responsible crash, or those instances where a search and rescue team is deployed and conditions change in the blink of an eye. There is no room for "close enough" in those instances.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 08-12-10 at 05:16 AM.
    08-11-10 02:32 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD