Hey my name is Rizzo and I may be getting a BB Torch tomorrow.

Please only continue if you've got the time and a pot of coffee.

I have read what I can before hand and have run out of the " I dunno's"

So if you could can you answer these questions either with a typed response or links.... Link me to DETH! ..lulz....

1 Will this device ever get Flash support ? Does it need it ?

2 Does anyone have LapLogger, I am a wrench thru and thru and this kind of OBD II - Bluetooth interface is a must for me if I am going to ditch Android phones.

3 How is the call volume ? Do you always have your phone up as loud as it will go ?

I work in a steel plant and it's very noisy so a loud phone is a must. Speakerphone is a no-go because the other person would hear where I am at even louder.

4 Can you please take a second and drop your Torch in a plastic ziplock bag and then try to use the touch screen? I have read that certain capacitive screens won't sense your milivolts thru a plastic bag and I need to keep all my phones in one thru my work day. My whole plant is covered in steel dust,that due to it's ferrous nature is magnetic.

5 I know with all phones there are problems, Are there any I can spot right away before I leave the store ? like "Make sure you use this feature,it's known to freeze".

Thanks for your patience , I really need it.

In trade... If you live in SE MI, And after some time you learn to trust me I'll help you fix your cars if I can.
    01-16-11 07:49 PM
    1 - probably not. you only need this if you visit websites that require it. of all the sites I visit, I have not missed it.

2 - don't have it.

3 - call volume is fine for me. i leave mine at 75% but I am in no places with noise factors as you are.

4 - it worked fine but it may interfere with the prox sensor which shuts the screen down when you hold the phone up to your face.

5 - not really. test all basic features and phone mechanics before leaving the store.
    AKA_Rizzo likes this.
    01-16-11 08:45 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Until yesterday, I used a Curve. I'm hoping my shiny new Torch shows up in the mail tomorrow.

I'm really commenting because I hadn't heard of LapLogger before, so I checked out their website. That's pretty cool - and cheap!
    01-16-11 10:37 PM
    I also sourced an OBDII/BT device on eBay. Ran me $25.00

Shipped from China so it took like a week, But I got it.
    01-16-11 11:02 PM
    Aight then here it is. You can't watch the videos that require flash. I don't think we'll ever get it for our devices. I say this only because iphone and droid doesn't have it either.

I worked in a steel mill yrs ago I know whatcha mean. The lime will be **** on it too. Ikilled a few phones in the melt shop going around the ladle cars. Anyway yes the screen works in a zipbag. I work at a grain elevator and I put mine in a zip snack bag.

I can hear my phone on my tractor wirh the idle down if that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 11:43 PM
    I don't know the answer to your first two questions, but call volume is fine for me. If I were you, I'd make sure to add vibrate to it when it rings as well.

It works in a plastic bag.

And I haven't had any freezing issues. My 9800 has worked like a champ since day one.

I really hope you enjoy your device. It's quite an awesome phone.

01-17-11 04:59 AM
    Thanks for the replies .

Especially the last two , One is very relevant and the other got up WAY to early for me LOL .

I'm coming from a series on Android devices. I've been told the App market has less content for the BB,But the way I look at it I really only use like 4-5 apps. The rest on the Android Market seem to be Junk Food filler .

I will however miss Angry Birds.
    01-17-11 08:08 AM
    Aight then here it is. You can't watch the videos that require flash. I don't think we'll ever get it for our devices. I say this only because iphone and droid doesn't have it either.
    Not accurate, Android 2.2 has flash 10.1 built-in!

iPhone will never get it, but that is down to a feud between Jobs and Adobe, not down to a lack of willingness...

That said, the general consensus is that the Torch will not get Flash support. Flash is only going to be supported on QNX devices (starting with the Playbook).
    01-17-11 09:45 AM
    @ AKA Rizzo

Just got my Torch less than 2 weeks ago. It's a great phone.

It does work with the sandwich bag like others have reported.

The call volume isn't always the loudest but I don't use BT. I CAN hear in noisy environments, not just as loudly as I would like. On the other end, I've been told it sounds fine. In normal environments 50 - 75% works great.

Don't know about LapLogger.

I've downloaded YouTube videos (mostly game and movie trailers) and had them converted to a video format supported by the Torch. They all played flawlessly.

I personally wouldn't go surfing YouTube from my phone but there is a YouTube app. I've tried it and it works well. You can go to mobile YouTube from it and upload if that helps.

I haven't found any apps that cause the device to freeze but I only have about less than 10 apps beyond the stock apps and bloat ware that came with it. Find some really cool themes you like and you should be good. My favorite is a free Star Trek theme but that's me.

Hope that helps from a very recent Torch owner.
    01-17-11 01:12 PM
    I work in a metal shop and have used a ziploc for ages. Works like a champ on the Torch. Volume is a little weak but not a gamebreaker.Hvent had a freeze issue with any app.

01-17-11 05:57 PM
    Thank you everyone for the continued replies.
    01-17-11 06:52 PM
    Ok here's the part where I totally hijack my own thread.

My wife's other phone died, She had a Moto Karma. She's generally had kid phones as long as I have known her. Not that she's immature just more not concerned with much except text and calls.

Now she's seen me go thru my Android phone phase which lasted 4 phones in two months. ( I ran thru every one ATT has, They are ALL piles of sh3t. Ask me more later).

Now look we're in our early 30's. It's time for an adult phone that won't sleep in and is ready to go to work.

This is the logic behind me getting the BB Torch.

She already calls me a crackberry addict and the phone isn't even here yet.

She went phone shopping today.

The very helpful,realistic and friendly saleman named Nick told her the same thing I have all these years.

Paraphrase- "Lady, All these phones you're looking at are toy phones. They have issues they hope teenagers will get over and keep the device. You also want a quality phone for $50 and that's just not going to happen".

She replies "Yeah, I do see that. Maybe I do need an adult phone"

He takes her thru every one they have there.

She texts me before I leave work and is having trouble due to her NEW keyboard.

You know where this is going don't you ?

The guy guided her to the BB Torch LOL ... Primrose path too... He's also got one

Now this is a HUGE leap for her. And this is totally out of her character to get a phone like this. I have struggled with the phones she's carried for YEARS!

SO!

In 24 hours this whole household has gone BB!

Guy sold her the black one because she told him I was waiting on my red one.

I told her in a very father like manner..

"Good, Now go join Crackberry.com.... No more phone questions for me anymore, Go learn it with me".

I wonder what her screen name will be ?
    01-17-11 10:04 PM
    Congratulations! A new BB family

Don't throw her to the wolves though. Time to be her knight in shinning armor and help her out.

Probably be some nice rewards

01-17-11 10:19 PM
    Not accurate, Android 2.2 has flash 10.1 built-in!

iPhone will never get it, but that is down to a feud between Jobs and Adobe, not down to a lack of willingness...

That said, the general consensus is that the Torch will not get Flash support. Flash is only going to be supported on QNX devices (starting with the Playbook).
    Can you show us an android running flash? I know flash is suppose to be out for android 2.2. Just last week I was reading up on it can read a lot about how flash hasn't made it to mobile as promised by adobe yet. I like steve would love to see flash running mobile. Apple has been trying since 2007 to get flash on the iphone. But anyway if that's the only thing you disagree with me about then I didn't do to bad.

01-18-11 12:10 AM
    Apple's thoughts on Flash
    Thoughts on Flash

Samsung Captivate running Froyo 2.2, Flash.

Apple ain't getting it and has not been trying.

Android has it and has always been working towards it.

Oh yeah and THIS..

Flash Player 10.1 - Android

Androidzoom.com is the web portal to the Android market. With a barcode scanner you can have any app you see that's compatible with your deivce on your phone in all of 10 seconds.

Adobe Flash App for android. It's not some dudes hacked BS ROM in that previous youtube video.

Now GTFO of my thread with your BS arguing...Both of ya.
    Last edited by AKA_Rizzo; 01-18-11 at 08:05 AM.
    01-18-11 08:02 AM
    I don't think we'll ever get it for our devices. I say this only because iphone and droid doesn't have it either.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Droids have had flash since last year.
    01-18-11 08:14 AM
    Android is an Operating System

Droid is a line of phones made by Motorola.

Either way.... GTFO
    01-18-11 08:19 AM
    No reason to get your shorts in a bunch over the likes of tucker. You'll learn who the trolls are after a while of being on here.

OH yeah, Welcome to the club, the Crackberry club.
    01-18-11 08:39 AM
    Apple's thoughts on Flash
    Thoughts on Flash

Samsung Captivate running Froyo 2.2, Flash.

Apple ain't getting it and has not been trying.

Android has it and has always been working towards it.

Oh yeah and THIS..

Flash Player 10.1 - Android

Androidzoom.com is the web portal to the Android market. With a barcode scanner you can have any app you see that's compatible with your deivce on your phone in all of 10 seconds.

Adobe Flash App for android. It's not some dudes hacked BS ROM in that previous youtube video.

Now GTFO of my thread with your BS arguing...Both of ya.
    Thanks for posting. Saved me a little Googling
    01-18-11 10:35 AM
    lulz.... Trolls.
    01-18-11 07:22 PM
    No reason to get your shorts in a bunch over the likes of tucker. You'll learn who the trolls are after a while of being on here.

OH yeah, Welcome to the club, the Crackberry club.
    Calling your phone a piece of sh1t doesn't make me a troll, it just makes me right.
    01-18-11 09:37 PM
    Calling your phone a piece of sh1t doesn't make me a troll, it just makes me right.
    When you make a helpful, non-snarky, non-fanboi post, you might then begin to shed your trolldom. Until then, the shoe fits, if it pinches just a bit, try something different.

01-18-11 09:41 PM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry family, Rizzo. Glad to hear you've brought more family into the fold, and I can tell you'll handle it just fine. There are folks, as you can tell, that just can't help themselves, much less anyone else. But take it to heart! There are plenty who will be willing to help you get up to speed. Shansmi is a solid guy, and there are others I'm sure can give you solid tips.

01-18-11 09:51 PM
    I work in a metal shop and have used a ziploc for ages. Works like a champ on the Torch. Volume is a little weak but not a gamebreaker.Hvent had a freeze issue with any app.

Following up on this interesting ziploc test. Yes the touchscreen works with the phone in the bag, but the earlier post about the prox sensor is correct. If you're on a call and you want to use the touchscreen it will go black because it senses the plastic bag. If you're on speakerphone or bluetooth the prox sensor is off so no problem.

Welcome aboard.
    01-18-11 10:23 PM
    I have these bags my wife gets from work,

EF AR DOUBLE EE!

I plan on taking it out if the need for a call arises.

I can't wait to trade PIN's with the company pres, He'll either wanna see mine and we'll "Bump Berries" or...... He'll roll his eyes and walk away.

He's kind of a DE EY CEE KAY.... But he did give me $2400 in bonuses over the Holiday break a few weeks ago.
    01-18-11 10:52 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD