The lack of Skype is probably because of an exclusivity deal. A Skype application is available for both BB and Android phones on Verizon.
    11-21-10 09:25 AM

The only thing keeping me tied to RIM is the BES. All emails/contacts/notes everything autosynced wirelessly and instantly (not to mention auto-backed up so no problem with losing phone). As far as I know, no one else offers that "feature" yet. If Droid or Iphone would come up with something that does that I will finally dump my Blackberry. .
    Even if the iphone had BES you STILL wouldn't have the flash support, nor skype. Just thought I'd point that out for you.
    11-21-10 10:10 AM
    If you require more convenience keys, try a little app called sixtools. Allows you to assign the volume keys and mute key as more convenience keys.

SixTools - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    Thanks for that info..I'll try it
    11-21-10 10:54 AM
    Well hopefully we will see QNX on this device, as it was announced as Blackberry Tablet OS right after the torch launch. If they make it for devices within the next year I'm sure we will see Torch support, and maybe that will change your mind.
    11-21-10 12:46 PM
    Well hopefully we will see QNX on this device, as it was announced as Blackberry Tablet OS right after the torch launch. If they make it for devices within the next year I'm sure we will see Torch support, and maybe that will change your mind.
    I wont be holding my breath on this claim. I don't think the torch's processor will be able to handle it from what I have been reading. Would be nice, don't get me wrong, just seems unlikely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 01:22 PM
    I've had the Torch for a couple of months now after upgrading from 9700. In my personal experience with the Torch, I find the virtual keyboard very difficult to type on with any speed and accuracy. As far far as the physical keyboard, i find it rather cramped, but more user friendly that the touch screen keyboard. Of course this is just my own experience, I try to use the touch screen as often as possible hoping that I will eventually get the hang of it, but so far that has not happened. I do like the Torch, but at the same time I miss my 9700. I'm considering selling or trading my Torch for the 9780 when it finally arrives on AT&T.
    11-21-10 01:30 PM
    I wont be holding my breath on this claim. I don't think the torch's processor will be able to handle it from what I have been reading. Would be nice, don't get me wrong, just seems unlikely.

Why not. Jim said at the playbook announcement that they were running this on a high end processor but I functions equally as well on a lower end one. I'm assuming that its not exactly true, but I believe they will be able to get it running on the torch.
    11-21-10 02:31 PM
    There is no way to do VOIP calling over any RIM device
    It's called Tringme..can work completely over WiFi. Yes..it's not Skype..but whatever.
    11-21-10 02:49 PM
    Even if the iphone had BES you STILL wouldn't have the flash support, nor skype. Just thought I'd point that out for you.
    The Iphone has full Skype support including 3G calls and works really really well. I am not saying I am crazy for Iphones but logmein + skype works great on it. Now that Iphones have multiple app support, if it had BES I would jump to an Iphone 4G.
    11-22-10 04:34 AM

1. It is a bulky phone - way too heavy

2. Touchscreen is still flaky after the storm and storm2. It is better than those 2 predecessors but nowhere near the Iphone still.

3. Browser is better than predecessors but no flash support still. Not to mention still no Skype or Logmein.
    The phone is around the same size as my old 9630. Heavy yes, but definitely not bulky.

I find the touchscreen works perfectly fine when compared to my iPod touch 4g. It doesn't work as smoothly at times though, I think likely due to the slower processor.

The Bolt browser supports flash I believe. And we'll probably see it natively supported with the new QNX OS. Of course, we know a certain other smartphone manufacturer that will never support flash.

My problems with the Torch stem more for them charging high end pricing for not so high end hardware specs.
    11-22-10 10:10 AM
    ...I find the touchscreen works perfectly fine when compared to my iPod touch 4g. It doesn't work as smoothly at times though, I think likely due to the slower processor....
    ...or could it most likely be due to having multiple apps running "at times", which the iPhone/iTouch doesn't do?
    11-22-10 10:49 AM
    having come from WM 6.5 Jack, here is my opinion about the Torch. Granted I am coming from an out of date OS but,

The Torch is much heavier than the Jack, but I like it because of many reasons already stated.

The back of the torch feels great because the Jack felt like it was greased. I never dropped it, but it sure was slick.

The browser is much faster than the Jack.

The tochscreen is sensitive and you can customize its sensitivity. I have had no lockups to speak of. It is a joy to use. When in "head to head competition with iPhone 4, the Torch won in browsing (mostly because my keyboard is quicker than the touchscreen).

the keyboard is small, but not much smaller than my jack. I can type accurately and quickly. Just took a little adapting.

BB's support and ease of use is highly superior to my prevous phones.

all this being said, it is all really personal opinion. What works for me may not work for you.

Sometimes we want so much from our phones that we spend all our time jumping from one to another...the grass is usually greener over the septic tank (or something like that). The reality is that we have a tendency never to be content.

All a person can really do is just get the phone that meets there needs for now and appreciate this miracle called technology. I remember my father-in-laws "mobile" phone. It came in a briefcase. Try putting that in your front pocket!
    11-22-10 03:37 PM
    i agree its too heavy
    the battery life has sucked so far (i'm coming from the 8820, which i could literally go days without charging)
    and the speakerphone sucked compared to my 8820

other than that, it's great. I have the white one, everyone loves. I was thinking of going Iphone ( i like AT&T, one ofthe few that does) but I'm not ready to devout to full time virtual keyboard texting. So the pullout keyboard is great for me.

Don't see anything wrong with it other than the two minor issues above. I have to charge it more and the speakerphone volume sucks but i think got better in the new OS or maybe my ears adjusted.
    11-22-10 05:00 PM
    The weight not all that heavy and the device feels quite solid. Battery life has been comparable to my 9700 and depends upon how well it is managed.
    11-22-10 05:23 PM
    You clearly need to learn more about phones!

Why is that?

11-22-10 10:51 PM
    The weight not all that heavy and the device feels quite solid. Battery life has been comparable to my 9700 and depends upon how well it is managed.
    it's too heavy, lets be honest. Should/Could have been lighter.

battery life, i agree, if you manage it well its better. But when I first got my phone I didn't surf or have any apps and it literally wouldn't last a full day.

so what i did was download quickpull
    downloaded and upgraded to .337

did several quickpulls

change screen brightness and all that stuff

and yesterday my battery lasted close to 2 days, so I'm very happy with that I really like this phone.

Today, I'm actually using the browser and enjoying the tabs. Although, I haven't been able to download/preview songs from certain websites. I think it's due to lack of flash.
    11-24-10 09:41 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD