Have had the Torch for a month and while I have wanted to say this for awhile I waited until I had a month of use under my belt so I was sure.

1. It is a bulky phone - way too heavy

2. Touchscreen is still flaky after the storm and storm2. It is better than those 2 predecessors but nowhere near the Iphone still.

3. Browser is better than predecessors but no flash support still. Not to mention still no Skype or Logmein.

The only thing keeping me tied to RIM is the BES. All emails/contacts/notes everything autosynced wirelessly and instantly (not to mention auto-backed up so no problem with losing phone). As far as I know, no one else offers that "feature" yet. If Droid or Iphone would come up with something that does that I will finally dump my Blackberry. This is from a loyal BB user for years people. Sick of waiting on RIM to support so many things I need and NEVER getting them.
    11-20-10 06:34 AM
    All personal opinions. For me my torch is perfect. I think the weight is perfect, not to heavy and not to light. Makes the phone feel solid.

To me (after playing with an iphone nearly every day at work) the touchscreen works just as good if not better then the iphone. I can actually type faster on my virtual keyboard then I could on the iphone.

Just my .02$. Suppose its worth about as much as your opinions.
    11-20-10 06:40 AM
    OK let's say #1 & #2 are personal opinions and I just don't know what bulky is. What about :

"no flash support still. Not to mention still no Skype or Logmein."
    11-20-10 06:47 AM
    Forgot to mention, slideout keyboard is a little too small and not the same as a regular BB keyboard.
    11-20-10 06:53 AM
    only a couple devices support flash, and those that do from what Ive read. It's clumsy, doesn't work right, and drains your battery so fast it's not worth having.
    Skype and logmein are not apps I would use so I personally have no use for them, although they do not exists to my knowledge. As I said all personal opinions. I'm not saying your review isn't valid but its more personal opinion.
    11-20-10 06:54 AM
    I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you, just stating your review is all your own personal opinions of the phone.

Most of us with the device simply love it, and for just the reasons you stated you don't like it.
    11-20-10 06:55 AM
    No pissing match at all. I am just trying to see if others are as frustrated with RIM as me. It is clear you are not. Does everyone agree with Homer1475? I am the only one with these issues? No frustration with RIM at all?
    11-20-10 07:02 AM
    I'm not saying I'm not frustrated with the way the specs of the phone are. but for what it is, it works just fine for me. Yes RIM could have made a better device seeing as this is supposed to be their flagship device. You just have to take it for what it is. Sure everyone will complain about this or that, personally I'm a little peeved at the QC with the wobbly screen.
    11-20-10 07:06 AM
    I think it is the personal experiences and opinions that are important on these forums. It is the reader that needs to determine what phone fits their needs and wants. It is obvious that the Torch is not the phone for the KK. Fair play for him giving it a month to try it out. I switch over to the Torch from 9700. I am reallly liking this phone and still getting use to it. I thought I would like the keyboard a bit better, like I did my past curves. BB's in general are constantly evolving and improving. I hope you find the right fit KK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 07:07 AM
    Hi Paddygirl,

Yeah I switched from the 9700 too. I was actually quite happy with my 9700 but I'm not going back now. I do like the fact that the screen is much bigger. Flash videos would have been great on this. Keyboard is a problem really. I have been using it exclusively with the keyboard out since otherwise the keyboard eats up a lot of the screen taking away the one and only advantage this phone has over the other more standard BBs.
    11-20-10 07:19 AM
    I've held the phone, I can't say its bulky... its probably longer than most phones I've had when fully extended... It feels about the same as my 9000 I used so I'm not struggling to lift the phone... It's no where near the size of some of the smartphones that are coming out. Thin phones is one thing, but large is another... the phone itself feels right in the hands and some thin phones just feel awkward...

I agree the keyboard is a little small and not rigid enough but its the best of both worlds.

The touch is pretty good.. I'm not sure what this flaky is that you speak of but when I move my finger to swipe, it moves with me. It's not as fluid as the iphone but that's all that phone really does and from what I've seen of updates the torch is moving along nicely.

I personally would love flash... with an option to turn it off if need be and the browser is definitely a step up from previous versions. RIM have stated that they will be supporting it flash, whether that will be on the torch, I'm not sure but it was not something that was on the phone to begin with. I sure hope it makes it way to it.

there are very few current models out now with the latest flash update but that will hopefully change. At least RIM's stance is "we want it"

what you should ask yourself is, Does the torch do what a blackberry phone should? does it complete the tasks that a blackberry smartphone should? Does the phone do what I need that others cant?

If thats a yes to all three then, the torch does what it should do. If you want an iphone experience, I think you have the wrong phone. Apple does touch right but look at the type of phone it is. The Torch could be better at it but i honestly don't feel like it hinders the experience. It's not perfect but the same could be said about your expectations

We want a lot out of our phones nowadays but there's a reason why the phone is heavier, taller than others and if you're after something smaller, maybe the 9780 is for you. If you're after a touch experience rivaling the iphone than this might not be the right form factor for you. There's a storm on the horizon and for now it seems the form-factor and touch experience is not doing it for you and it seems, other phones just dont have what you're after either... look at your expectations... what do you want more?
    Last edited by zensen; 11-20-10 at 07:28 AM.
    homer1475 likes this.
    11-20-10 07:20 AM
    I've held the phone, I can't say its bulky... its probably longer than most phones I've had... It feels about the same as my 9000 I used so I'm not struggling to lift the phone... It's no where near the size of some of the smartphones that are coming out. Thin phones is one thing, but large is another... the phone itself feels right in the hands and some real thin phones just feel awkward...

I agree the keyboard is a little small and not rigid enough but its the best of both worlds.

The touch is pretty good.. I'm not sure what this flaky is that you speak of but when I move my finger to swipe, it moves with me. Sure not as fluild as the iphone but that's all that phone really does.

I personally would love flash... with an option to turn it off if need be and the browser is pretty awesome. RIM have stated that they will be supporting it, whether that will be on the torch, I'm not sure but it was not something that was on the phone to begin with. I sure hope so tho!

there are very few current models out now with the latest flash update but that will hopefully change. At least RIM's stance is "we want it"

what you should ask yourself is, Does the torch do what a blackberry phone should? does it complete the tasks that a blackberry smartphone should? Does the phone do what I need that others cant?

If thats a yes to all three then, the torch does what it should do. If you want an iphone experience, I think you have the wrong phone. Apple does touch right but look at the type of phone it is. The Torch could be better at it but i honestly don't feel like it hinders the experience. It's not perfect but the same could be said about your expectations

We want a lot out of our phones nowadays but there's a reason why the phone is heavier, taller than others and if you're after something smaller, maybe the 9780 is for you. If you're after a touch experience rivaling the iphone than this might not be the right form factor for you. There's a storm on the horizon and for now it seems the form-factor and touch experience is not doing it for you and it seems, other phones just dont have what you're after either... look at your expectations... what do you want more?
    +1
    Well said. Said everything I couldn't put into words myself.
    11-20-10 07:25 AM
    Storm 2: 4.43" x 2.45" x 0.55", 5.64 oz
    Torch: 4.37" x 2.24" x 0.57", 5.68 oz

After the Storm and Storm 2, you think the Torch is bulky and way too heavy? 0.02" thicker and 0.04 oz heavier ... seriously?

A friend just got a brand new Storm 2, so I had an opportunity to try it out as well as hold it and the Torch at the same time. I thought the screens behaved about the same, except for sure-press, and we were both amazed at how nearly identical they were in size and weight. I'll concede that the Torch's touch screen may not be that of an iPhone, but then what other phone is. Still, 'not the same' does not necessarily equate to 'bad' ... it's just not the same. As for Flash, it's a pig on most platforms and I don't miss it at all; and remember, Apple doesn't support it, either.

There isn't a phone out there that's perfect in every way for anyone. Each different device is better at somethings and not quite up to the task at others; we all have to determine what's important and what's going to fit the bill the best. If Skype and Logmein were that important to you, maybe you should have done a little research first to see which devices do and don't support them.

For me, the Torch is better at the things I require out of a phone. I do wish the keyboard was more like that of other BB's (that of the Bold 9000 was like the Cadillac of smart phone keyboards, so I was admittedly spoiled there), but the fact that it has a keyboard is more important to me than not having one at all. That it is not as comfortable to use as other keyboards is a minor and acceptable concession. Other than that and a few very minor quirks with the OS, I am completely satisfied with the Torch in particular and RIM in general.
    11-20-10 07:34 AM
    No pissing match at all. I am just trying to see if others are as frustrated with RIM as me. It is clear you are not. Does everyone agree with Homer1475? I am the only one with these issues? No frustration with RIM at all?
    I was frustrated too for a bitan but came to realize that what this phone offers, I don't need or want, leaving my phone not being used to its full potential. I personally like the weight of this phone. I recently bought a samsung captivate and will say the weight of that phone makes it feel cheap, like a plastic dummy phone. Although I have not received it yet, in mail still, the model at the att store is impressive. I am going to miss a few things though, camera flash, slide out keyboard, and even the notification LED, not to forget, but I hear the Captivate has some serious GPS issues. I'm hoping to put my Blackberry sounds on it as I've owned a blackberry for the past 3 years and have gotten use to the sounds. Admit it we all hear the familiar noises and look at our phone, but realize it was someone elses phone, and we smile and think another bb user! Lol.

The torch is a great phone if you are an orginized person. It does scheduling and business better than any other, but for me, RIM hasn't done much to wow me with the multimedia. I do a lot of streaming of videos and media is a big importance to me. Every phone has its strengths and drawbacks, but it all comes down to the user experience you get from the device. Another thing I like about Android is the open OS part. I'm into tinkering with computers and it would be a fun hobby to see what I can do on an Android device.

I would have to say though as a review it seemed lacking! Lol. The BlackBerry Torch is one of the best BlackBerry's on the market. It is not the best phone, if you rate it on screen, processor, or app availability. But if your looking at it from a business standpoint and the integration it offers, then you will see how much potential this phone has. If you are still in the 30 day window, return it. If not, do what I did and bid on one from eBay. I will say I do see the Torch going for 450 up unlocked in excellent condition, which is more than I saw from the captivate, so obviously people do like Blackberry!

11-20-10 07:45 AM
    What is most important to me is the BES instant wireless autosyncing/backup of everything. This is why I have been a BB user for years and will likely remain.

Second most important thing is the keyboard which is not as good as the other BBs and everyone seems to agree on that.

Third most important thing is skype and fourth is logmein.

The carrot has been dangled in front of us for #3 and #4 for a VERY long time (I am talking years) and yet, nothing. There is no way to do VOIP calling over any RIM device and only1 obscure software provider supports remote desktop to the PC (called RDM+).

So if you want to be "completely satisfied with RIM in general" be my guest but there is a reason over 40% of all RIM clients have dumped RIM for other platforms in the past year. I am willing to bet many of them shared my complaints. If I wasn't so dependent on the BES portion I would have left too.
    11-20-10 07:45 AM
    Should you really critique the Torch (or RIM, or any device) for the absence of Skype and Logmein apps?

You've mentioned this a couple times now, even stating that Skype/Logmein are the 3rd and 4th most important thing to you, yet you also knew that these 2 apps don't exist for Blackberry.

Skype could be useful for many but I can't imagine using Logmein from a ~3" screen to remote a PC. IMO.
    Have you tried VPN from the 9800 to a PC?
    11-20-10 08:36 AM
    This is not really review.
    sounds like u just hating on it,
    u havent mentioned any good thing about the torch itself but only the service that BES offers.
    the problems u have with the phone are things that u well knew existed via specs, before the phone even came out.
    smaller keyboard, no skype, no logmein, etc.
    i wish i had 600$ to upgrade my phone just for a bigger screen.
    11-20-10 08:37 AM
    What is most important to me is the BES instant wireless autosyncing/backup of everything. This is why I have been a BB user for years and will likely remain.

Second most important thing is the keyboard which is not as good as the other BBs and everyone seems to agree on that.

Third most important thing is skype and fourth is logmein.

The carrot has been dangled in front of us for #3 and #4 for a VERY long time (I am talking years) and yet, nothing. There is no way to do VOIP calling over any RIM device and only1 obscure software provider supports remote desktop to the PC (called RDM+).

So if you want to be "completely satisfied with RIM in general" be my guest but there is a reason over 40% of all RIM clients have dumped RIM for other platforms in the past year. I am willing to bet many of them shared my complaints. If I wasn't so dependent on the BES portion I would have left too.
    I WON'T be dumping my Torch or RIM anytime soon. I have no major issues with the Torch other than the universal search feature. Obviously RIM has something you want or need so why the whining? & who really cares about skype and logmein?
    11-21-10 03:43 AM
    Ok so what if Blackberry came out with flash support for the Torch next month. What's next? You want HD video playback then you come back to make another complaint. Once HD video is supported then you ask for Video conferencing...another complaint.....blah blah blah. It seems like nothing satisfies you.

I've been going through many BB for years and it wouldn't make a difference if Blackberry added flash tomorrow. My world doesn't stop because there is no flash.

The majority of people in this world haven't even switch to a smartphone yet and if you keep on blabbering about no flash on phones to them, they would look at you funny and tell you to get a life. Now who's the idi0t.
    11-21-10 04:30 AM
    i know its pretty heavy, but for me being a guy I totally love the feeling of it in my hands I prefer the weight this way. I am totally satisfied with my 9800 does everything I want it for and more. Sorry so glum chum but iphone and android phones are just toys compared to this awesome tool...
    Last edited by logcutter; 11-21-10 at 07:30 AM.
    11-21-10 07:27 AM
    I also switched from the 9700. I love this phone. RIM has gotten it right. It really is the best of both worlds. I love the big screen and the option to use the keyboard. I like the feel of the phone and the speed. The only thing I am missing is the second convenience key because I use those for profiles and Vlingo.
    11-21-10 07:35 AM
    I also switched from the 9700. I love this phone. RIM has gotten it right. It really is the best of both worlds. I love the big screen and the option to use the keyboard. I like the feel of the phone and the speed. The only thing I am missing is the second convenience key because I use those for profiles and Vlingo.
    If you require more convenience keys, try a little app called sixtools. Allows you to assign the volume keys and mute key as more convenience keys.

SixTools - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    11-21-10 08:16 AM
    Sorry so glum chum but iphone and android phones are just toys compared to this awesome tool...
    You clearly need to learn more about phones!

11-21-10 08:28 AM
    Have had the Torch for a month and while I have wanted to say this for awhile I waited until I had a month of use under my belt so I was sure.

2. Touchscreen is still flaky after the storm and storm2. It is better than those 2 predecessors but nowhere near the Iphone still.

3. Browser is better than predecessors but no flash support still. Not to mention still no Skype or Logmein.

The only thing keeping me tied to RIM is the BES. All emails/contacts/notes everything autosynced wirelessly and instantly (not to mention auto-backed up so no problem with losing phone). As far as I know, no one else offers that "feature" yet. If Droid or Iphone would come up with something that does that I will finally dump my Blackberry. This is from a loyal BB user for years people. Sick of waiting on RIM to support so many things I need and NEVER getting them.
    I hate the keyboard and returned it after a week. 9700 owns it
    11-21-10 08:54 AM
    comparing with other phones.. and i have owned a lot..
    here are my thoughts.

this is subjective.. having a motorola Droid X on the side will dwarf the Torch. the size of the BB when closed is similar to a Storm or a Curve.. unless you find them bulky as well.

Which iphone? if you compare it to an iphone 3G, 3GS..it's the same.
    for an iphone 4.. if you can't wait a millisecond.. then get the iphone 4.

i agree with the browser not coming close to a Safari browser of the iphones.

11-21-10 09:07 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD