Guys-

Note that whoever pre-order the torch @ bestbuy in canada,It won't be until October the 1st, I got a phone call from Ottawa-South best buy and I was told to come in on October the 1st to pick up my phone instead of sept 24th.
    09-22-10 09:52 AM
    Guys-

Note that whoever pre-order the torch @ bestbuy in canada,It won't be until October the 1st, I got a phone call from Ottawa-South best buy and I was told to come in on October the 1st to pick up my phone instead of sept 24th.
    Who's your carrier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 09:58 AM
    My understanding is more than enough. This is blackberry people not "I'm too cool for school apple"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    doubt it.. when the 9700 came out they had 4 in stock at flagship store at Bay and Adelaide in toronto... and there was no annoucement.. so maybe that's why...

the 9800 is being advertised so who knows...

i'll be going to the rogers store downtown at opening on friday... if they don't have any i'll be speaking to the manager to maybe work something out since i waited at the door haha.. who knows...

i wouldn't trust what best buy people say... authorized dealers ALWAYS get phones last! some Authorized dealers in the states didn't get the 9800 on launch day either.. that inlcuded best buy.. most of them did, but some didnt.. i know cause i stopped at a best buy and asked if they had it.. and they didn;t.. she said the shipments depend for authorized dealers..

and i don't think BEST BUY employees have a better knowledge then an actual carrier employee... i asked a best buy employee once when the 9700 was coming out.. he said in a month.. it came out the next day..
    09-22-10 10:03 AM
    @knowledge

you still wnat your coffee lol
    09-22-10 10:09 AM
    so i just called the whitby best buy and they are saying that it is confirmed that it wont be out on fri anymore

i dont know if i really believe him but thats what he said
    09-22-10 10:19 AM
    so how many of you are going to a rogers store friday to try and get an early upgrade??
    You'll have 0 luck attempting an early upgrade at a physical store - they don't have the ability/power to do that.

Not even sure that customer care at Rogers can do it. Best chance is to get Customer Relations to made an internal note that your eligible ahead of time (ie: today), then call customer care 1st thing Friday (or whenever they get stock) and get them to mail it to you.
    09-22-10 10:27 AM
    Ok here's a bit of news...I work for a prominent Canadian printer and we are the sole provider for print marketing services to Rogers. I can't believe I didn't think of this before, and it wasn't until a comment from JDel (about the fact that he hasn't seen any ads or posters 9800 related) that I thought if there were any ads, we would be producing them! So I cruised over to our digital department and talked to the CSR in charge of the Rogers work. I asked her if she's seen anything for the BlackBerry Torch.. she said "no nothing at all" I told her that I was eagerly awaiting the launch and if she see's anything Torch or 9800 related to please let me know. We'll when I said "9800" she goes "oh wait! we just ran these little cards for the 9800" so she showed me a proof and low and behold they are the place markers that go below the devices in the displays! I was so freaking excited...She showed me the shipping requests and it is a rush order, shipping to the Rogers distribution location tomorrow - Must arrive before 9am - and the distro location is shipping them direct to all rogers stores on an overnight to arrive the 24th. Take this for what it is, but it's news imo!
    09-22-10 10:28 AM
    @knowledge

I might need booze instead of coffee, I have a feeling it will be a lot of back and forth of "you cannot upgrade your phone" and I'll be like "oh yes I can!" ohhh kinda dreading it!
    09-22-10 10:28 AM
    Ok here's a bit of news...I work for a prominent Canadian printer and we are the sole provider for print marketing services to Rogers. I can't believe I didn't think of this before, and it wasn't until a comment from JDel (about the fact that he hasn't seen any ads or posters 9800 related) that I thought if there were any ads, we would be producing them! So I cruised over to our digital department and talked to the CSR in charge of the Rogers work. I asked her if she's seen anything for the BlackBerry Torch.. she said "no nothing at all" I told her that I was eagerly awaiting the launch and if she see's anything Torch or 9800 related to please let me know. We'll when I said "9800" she goes "oh wait! we just ran these little cards for the 9800" so she showed me a proof and low and behold they are the place markers that go below the devices in the displays! I was so freaking excited...She showed me the shipping requests and it is a rush order, shipping to the Rogers distribution location tomorrow - Must arrive before 9am - and the distro location is shipping them direct to all rogers stores on an overnight to arrive the 24th. Take this for what it is, but it's news imo!
    sweeet!!!.. that is exciting!
    09-22-10 10:30 AM
    You'll have 0 luck attempting an early upgrade at a physical store - they don't have the ability/power to do that.

Not even sure that customer care at Rogers can do it. Best chance is to get Customer Relations to made an internal note that your eligible ahead of time (ie: today), then call customer care 1st thing Friday (or whenever they get stock) and get them to mail it to you.
    Oh I had a feeling someone would say something like that. *sigh*
    09-22-10 10:32 AM
    Rogers, I was hoping to get it this friday......
    09-22-10 10:37 AM
    Oh I had a feeling someone would say something like that. *sigh*
    Sorry to burst your bubble

I'm in the same situation though. Already have it noted in my account that I can have the early upgrade. Now just have to call when they're in stock (let's hope 1st thing Friday) and get them to mail it to me.
    09-22-10 10:40 AM
    Thank you Mikey for some positive information!!! I'm really getting sick of this delay delay delay talk.. Roger's on the 24th !!!!

That seems like such a hassle. Is that how Roger's seriously does business? I can go into any Telus store, they punch in my phone number, and can automatically see whether i'm available for any upgrades, or available for any promotions etc. It makes no sense why Roger's wouldn't be able to do the same.
    you know what I dont get, People who got the Iphone were able to upgrade even when they were 6-9 months short of their contract, and I'm 3 months away from my contract being done yet they say no. Don't understand
    09-22-10 10:44 AM
    you know what I dont get, People who got the Iphone were able to upgrade even when they were 6-9 months short of their contract, and I'm 3 months away from my contract being done yet they say no. Don't understand
    Yea that's ridiculous. If it were me i'd just "threaten" to take my business elsewhere..even if it meant buying out the remainder of the contract. As soon as you start talking about jumping ship to a competitor, it will usually open their eyes. And if it doesn't, then you SHOULD seriously consider going elsewhere.
    09-22-10 10:49 AM
    Thank you Mikey for some positive information!!! I'm really getting sick of this delay delay delay talk.. Roger's on the 24th !!!!
    No problem! I hope that means they're still good to go!!
    09-22-10 10:51 AM
    Yea that's ridiculous. If it were me i'd just "threaten" to take my business elsewhere..even if it meant buying out the remainder of the contract. As soon as you start talking about jumping ship to a competitor, it will usually open their eyes. And if it doesn't, then you SHOULD seriously consider going elsewhere.
    yeah, my brother in law was 6 months away from his 2 year mark, he went when the iphone came out, stood in line for hours and hours! he was able to upgrade for the iphone and only paid $150, where I'm 3 months away, and they are telling me no, and if they do change their mind i'll have to pay $300.

I'm going to call customer service again after work and talk to a manager because thats bull!
    09-22-10 10:52 AM
    I was just flipping though the visions flyer for Calgary and they have the Torch on the front page as being the 24th for bell
    09-22-10 11:24 AM
    If you don't like them holding you to the terms of the 2 or 3yr contract, that you agreed to and signed, then buy the phone from the start and be contract/commitment free.
    You know that carriers would loose their shirts if they let everyone out of the contract early after selling the phones at a half to a third of the retail prices. The contract is what guarantees them their money back...and then some.
    You can 'jump ship' to another carrier. You have every right. They aren't going to treat you any different with respect to early termination of an agreed upon contract.
    09-22-10 11:24 AM
    That seems like such a hassle. Is that how Roger's seriously does business? I can go into any Telus store, they punch in my phone number, and can automatically see whether i'm available for any upgrades, or available for any promotions etc. It makes no sense why Roger's wouldn't be able to do the same.
    It's the same case for Rogers. If you are eligible for an upgrade then there's no issue. Just go into any Rogers store and you get a discounted Torch

The issue is that if you are not eligible, the store cannot do anything for you - you have to speak to someone in Customer Relations who has the authority to provide the early upgrade (it's really not much of a fight when you get to them). Just remember that Customer Care (the 1st person you'll speak to when you call) does NOT have the same power. You have to get them to transfer you!

Apparently Apple paid the carriers to allow the early upgrade. You would have to get mad at RIM for not doing the same thing, not Rogers...
    09-22-10 11:26 AM
    @knowledge

hahahaha u can just come chit chat ; > i feel bad asking for coffee from someone i've never met ; >
    09-22-10 11:28 AM

dammit! this might mean they won't have them at open!!! i hate it when that happens! oh well i;m waiting anyway.. if not i'll be going to a rogers store that opens at 9 or 10
    09-22-10 11:32 AM
    hahahaha u can just come chit chat ; > i feel bad asking for coffee from someone i've never met ; >
    yea true i wouldn't mind still

jus pin me
    09-22-10 11:36 AM
    If you don't like them holding you to the terms of the 2 or 3yr contract, that you agreed to and signed, then buy the phone from the start and be contract/commitment free.
    You know that carriers would loose their shirts if they let everyone out of the contract early after selling the phones at a half to a third of the retail prices. The contract is what guarantees them their money back...and then some.
    You can 'jump ship' to another carrier. You have every right. They aren't going to treat you any different with respect to early termination of an agreed upon contract.
    FYI, and i'm not 100% sure if this is only Quebec or all of Canada (maybe someone can confirm??), there is a new law for ETF for anyone who signs a new contract (or renews) after June 30th 2010. It's no longer a set fee for each month remaining on your contract - it's the difference in the subsidy on the device.

EG: If you get a Torch for $199 you are saving $400 off the full retail. Take that $400 and divide it by your the length of your contract and then multiply by the number of remaining months and that's what your ETF would be.

So there is no reason to not take the 3yr contract and get the cheap phone. If you ever want out, the most you will pay is the balance on your subsidy.

Edit: Here's an easier example I found online
    If you received a phone for free, which for example is worth $360, and you want to leave 20 months early, you pay ($360/36 months X 20 months) $200 to leave Telus.
    Last edited by fnord; 09-22-10 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added example
    09-22-10 11:36 AM
1,372 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD