Amazing that in about 24 hours there can be so much complaining about our newest entry to the Blackberry line.

RIM is not a consumer electronics company, they are a corporate communications company, and they are very good at what they do. Recognizing their large existing customer base, and the desire for smartphone users to have multimedia capabilities, they have upgraded their products to meet consumer wants while still maintaining high quality of their core business.

So, as many others have already said, go to iPhone or Android for the gee whiz factor.

We not take you back to your regularly scheduled rants.
    08-04-10 11:26 AM
    If RIM continues to think like you, they're in big trouble. They are not just a corporate communications company any longer. For people that can only carry one device and can choose their device, it's becoming more and more important for BB to integrate many of those "gee whiz" features you mention. Yes, I want the solid messaging of BB, and that's what's most important to me and why I still have one. However, if there were a BB that also had no lag throughout the OS, fast web browsing, rich media tools, etc., I would buy that in a hearbeat and not even consider Android or iPhone.

If RIM continues to rest on their messaging accomplishments, they will go the way of the pager - - once a newer device came along and could function as a pager, plus talk, text, etc., the pager was no longer needed. As other platforms close the gap on messaging, their non-messaging features are what people will look at to make a decision.

Funny, when Apple started touting what their 3GS could do last summer, we were all saying "BB has been able to do that for years." And now, BB introduces OS6, touting new media apps, better browsing, homescreens, etc., it's now Android and iPhone that can say "we can already do that." I love my BB, but it's disappointing to see the lack of innovation and creativity from a company once known for those attributes.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 08-04-10 at 11:46 AM.
    08-04-10 11:39 AM
    Correction ^^ Android/Apple needs to step their game up to be more Corporate friendly if they want to survive.. Or else kids will continue to buy their toys. BlackBerry will always survive within the corporate world because of their encryption on devices and their advanced messaging features that Apple and Android just cannot compare to
    08-04-10 11:43 AM
    Correction ^^ Android/Apple needs to step their game up to be more Corporate friendly if they want to survive.. Or else kids will continue to buy their toys. BlackBerry will always survive within the corporate world because of their encryption on devices and their advanced messaging features that Apple and Android just cannot compare to
    It goes both ways. Yes, Apple and Android must continue to improve their messaging for corporate deployment, no doubt. They have come a long way though, with many security policies enforceable from the admin via ActiveSync, remote wipe, etc. Bottom line is that BB is not doing anything special to expand and grow their company into the consumer space. They already have such a dominant hold over the corporate world, the only real way to grow is to find new markets. And last time I checked, it's not just kids buying iPhones and Android devices.
    08-04-10 11:50 AM
    Have you noticed how many Android Devices there are on the market right now and they all do the exact same thing the main difference between a few is just a keyboard and forward facing camera. Point is Android will never progress at that rate. Apple seems to progress a bit every year when they release an upgrade to their only device yet it still is not enough.. How many chances are they gonna get? Blackberry on the other hand may just have been catching a bit with their media/fun capabilities why you ask? Because that has never been their focus! Where as for Apple/Android Corporate obviously has never been their focus! So all Devices and OS needs to get a lil beat down because obviously neither can fully satisfy consumers.
    08-04-10 12:00 PM
    Have you noticed how many Android Devices there are on the market right now and they all do the exact same thing the main difference between a few is just a keyboard and forward facing camera. Point is Android will never progress at that rate. Apple seems to progress a bit every year when they release an upgrade to their only device yet it still is not enough.. How many chances are they gonna get? Blackberry on the other hand may just have been catching a bit with their media/fun capabilities why you ask? Because that has never been their focus! Where as for Apple/Android Corporate obviously has never been their focus! So all Devices and OS needs to get a lil beat down because obviously neither can fully satisfy consumers.
    Excellent point. The problem for RIM is that iPhone and Android are making much faster progress in the corporate world versus BB in the consumer space.
    08-04-10 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD