Well the Torch keyboard is horrible! So I am not surprised with this review. I'd take a Curve over a Torch primarily for the keyboard. But that's just me

just my 2 cents
    01-31-11 10:00 PM
    No, he couldn't type well because he had just had his nails done and he was afraid of messing up the gloss of his nail polish.
    lol That also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 12:18 AM
    Well the Torch keyboard is horrible! So I am not surprised with this review. I'd take a Curve over a Torch primarily for the keyboard. But that's just me

just my 2 cents
    I know you didn't like the keyboard - its understandable and certainly a valid criticism. Its cramped, but that's a tradeoff to get the form factor. I don't care for any touch keyboard, even the iPhone's, which I will grant is quite a bit better than the Torch's. I prefer even the cramped Torch keyboard to any touchpad. But that preference doesn't somehow mean the iPhone is a lousy device. He completely loses sight of the fact that the device gives him the option of using either the board or pad.

This was a terrible review, and would be so regardless of the phone he was bashing. I'm not bothered that he chose to slam a Torch; I'm bothered that this guy's blog space is the tech equivalent of a Twitter account - sensational and lacking in substance.
    02-01-11 05:58 AM
    Torch does everything I want and need it to. Only thing I *hate* is the "lock key", should be an oxymoron.

The review is just an iOS owner who hates on what he doesn't understand.

We might be a sensitive bunch, but it's iOS owners ineptitude that drives us.

02-01-11 06:56 AM
    I think this was a rant not a serious review, and it was mildly entertaining.
    02-01-11 07:31 AM
    This has been an interesting thread.
    I didn't even read the review.
    Instead, I switched from my 9700 (which I really liked) to the Torch (which I am liking alot!!)
    The switch was smooth. I did have a hangup because I didin't connect both devices at the same time to the computer as the directions on the Desktop Manager suggested. But that's a 'user error'.
    iOS ineptitude, ranting because of a preference,...
    well that's the internet, anyone can write what they like, as 'if' they were experts.
    But, I am liking this BB Torch.
    The screen is awesome bright and I keep forgetting that I can actually touch the screen! Ha, ha, ha.
    02-01-11 09:19 AM
    I'm not giving review credit to a blogger with a blog name "iGeneration" this tell you everything as soon as you see it also tells you that he is under the mindcontrol of steve jobs. He didn't even have the guts to admit that the Torch or any modern blackberry has better functionality than the iPhone. Not gonna waste too much of my time to reply to a bias blogger.

02-01-11 11:30 AM
    This clown should go back to his iHouse (I ment to say his parents iHouse because I'm sure he still lives at home) and jump out his iWindow. My 7 year old has a better grasp of comparitive journalism than this Steve Jobs loving concubine. If I was meet him in the street I would see how he liked the supposed extreme weight of my Torch rammed up his a**. I would sell my soul to get the time back I wasted reading this generation Y's iCrap. Long live Gen X!!!!
    02-01-11 12:16 PM
    Someone who's biased can't be someone taken seriously. End of story!
    02-01-11 12:33 PM
    I will never understand why some people have to rant about things they are not under any pressure to buy, or use. You don't like a product? Then don't use it. Can it be more simple than that? These rants say more about unresolved issues that the writer has than about the product/device itself. Simply put, some need to get a life.
    Last edited by shaleem; 02-01-11 at 01:05 PM.
    02-01-11 01:02 PM
    Its like President Obama taking a high life's prespective on todays economy and health care system seriously. It will never happen. He's probably at SJ's place bowing down to him now or better yet sucking his d.i.c.k.

02-01-11 02:11 PM
    The biggest annoyance, however, is the slide-out keyboard is lighter than the screen, so your hands are pulled away from you by the sheer force of gravity when you type on the hardware keyboard, making it almost impossible to type.
    I tried this on my Torch to see if this was true but not noticeable to me, and I found that in order to notice it at all I had to have all of my fingers lower than half-way down the keyboard, by which point my thumbs are higher so basic laws of physics push the top part down, not even gravity as much...
    But this only allows you to post statuses across MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and BlackBerry Messenger and to read other status updates.
    Um, you can add others, it's not just MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and BBM that are supported...
    But when the screen slides up and the keyboard emerges, you are wedged into a paradox time vortex where mixing touch and typing becomes an allegory for a rectal craniotomy.
    So you were planning on having the keyboard open all the time? you can still use the touchscreen, and I do, but any idi0t could tell you that if something is jutting out 2-3 more inches from the bottom you can't hold on the same way you normally do...
    4. Menu madness
    The solution to the menu madness problem is:
    1. tap the bar
    2. press the menu key twice
    3. download a non-OS6 UI theme
    4. flick down with the trackpad
    The Torch is massively underpowered and is clear as day to anyone who uses it that the sluggishness and slow responsiveness of the operating system can be likened to the speed of a crushed snail.
    It has a slow processor, that much is true. I've never felt it needed more, because you never actually notice...
    The only way you can get more than a full day of battery life out of the Torch, is if you either live in Narnia where Torch batteries grow on trees, or if you live in a nuclear centrifuge which somehow recharges your battery using magical airwaves in your own little ‘imagination-land’. ‘Nuff said.
    My Torch was like that for the first few days, but once my battery broke in I got such great battery life that it's never died, and almost never even dips below 40%, and that's with movies and games.
    Unlike the iPhone, the BlackBerry Torch doesn’t have an orientation lock
    Is that a new feature? I don't have it on my iPod Touch and while I haven't looked very hard I haven't even seen it on an iPhone 4, but either way you probably just spent $200 on the phone plus a $2000 contract (or $700 if you're in the US), so just spend the extra $0.99 to get an app that does that...
    Considering the similarity of the Storm to the Torch - both with a similar interface, hardware, touch-screen and screen resolution
    The Torch and the Storm have a similar touch screen??? Since when has my Torch had SurePress?
    10. It isn’t an iPhone, or a real BlackBerry
    If you're so sad that it's not an iPhone, then get an iPhone. As for it not being a Blackberry, why is that? Because it has a touch screen? You need to give a reason, not simply say it. If I were to say "The iPhone 4 is horrible" then that would just be dissing the iPhone, but if I said "The iPhone 4 implements xxxx feature horribly because...", then that would be fine to put in somewhere like this.
    Last edited by Jean-luc_Picard; 02-01-11 at 02:45 PM. Reason: idi0t is censored?
    02-01-11 02:44 PM
    Its like President Obama taking a high life's prespective on todays economy and health care system seriously. It will never happen. He's probably at SJ's place bowing down to him now or better yet sucking his d.i.c.k.

^^^smh is that language necessary? Stop fantasizing about other men weirdo....
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-01-11 02:46 PM
    I have acquired 10 Torches under a business contract.

Overall satisafaction from myself and our users: wouldn't do without it now - and the iPhone is just a 'toy' by comparison.

Learning curve
    Steep - to say the least, and often counter intuitive, but once one understands the mindset of RIM, it does become easier

Exchange server
    Bit of a nightmare to get it setup but it now works well

Keyboard and touchscreen issues
    Thought we would use the keyboard a lot but users report that the touch screen is very good, even with the plastic film protector. Some use it in horizontal mode: 'large fingers'. The predictive text algorithm and learning is simply superb. No contest there.

Customisation
    Not easy: its all there but this doesnt have the Apple eye for being user friendly

Applications
    We run very few apps: mostly to do with transport. My biggest 'regret' is that there does not exist an app that draws on pre-downloaded maps. This has the obvious functionality problems when one is out of data contact, as well as data usage issues. Here the Nokia's we used to have won hands down. So I still keep a Nokia to hand. The GPS is no substitute for a proper in-car or handheld device from Garmin etc.

Voice connection
    Excellent

Camera and other 'toys'
    Adequate unto the day thereof

Software robustness
    Excellent

Hardware and build quality
    Beautifully made; ok a little weighty. The keyboard on all the Torches is a little 'loose' but that doesnt impact on use except 'psychologically'.

Battery life
    Mixed bag: chit chat certainly seems to gobble battery but standby and data use seems to have trivial impact. The 'go to bed' function overnight is superb and significantly can prolong a BB Torch battery to a whole week.

Bluetooth
    Some annoyance here that full Bluetooth file connectivity is not implemented seemingly. Pulling down contacts from Outlook on BT is no prob but unless someone else knows better, none of us have discovered how to export VCF by BT ... are we stupid or missing something?

Synchronisation and backup
    Perfect - if a little lugubrious.

User manual PDF
    Stunningly minimalist on information. RIM should employ a good software author and re-write their manuals from scratch. While I am on about it, PDF functionality should be built in as standard. None of the paid downloaded apps including beamreader on this are very good - they just about work.

OVERALL
    The right decision was taken. Because of the generous contracts around are per mobile cost is actually lower than on the old Nokias - odd that.
    02-01-11 03:09 PM
    Well I never expected this kind of a reaction when I posted this. Thanks for the comments and I'm glad to see that this article was as out to lunch as I thought lol. I will still be getting a Torch as soon as I possibly can

02-01-11 03:11 PM
    iGeneration... I sense an iFanboy... Will stick with my BlackBerry thanks. I should go on as GenerationBerry and write an article tequila slamming the iPhone like he slammed the Torch.
    02-01-11 03:26 PM
    ... in my country, consumerism is the thing that got all phone manufacturer enter the nation's market... from Chinese made $ 12 phone to the popular $180 - $ 800 phones from android, iphone and blackberry...

It is noticeable that..

Iphone and Android is most wanted for the need of good quality multimedia and entertainment for killing time.. Blackberry whether a curve or bold or torch is for those who requires intense communication which is also usable for killing time in some cases..

Talking about sale price, non bundling and no contracts whatsoever, Iphone for one has the highest sale price while Android and Blackberry are friendlier in its pricing... For additional info, the Black-Market products are flooding the market with sale price generally 30% -50% lower than the official market price...

... As from the 'User Friendly' perspective, Blackberry comes first where Iphone and Android follows behind whatever the model or specs the phones might have...

.... the brutal review or sentiment towards any device might fully work or influence people's choice because 'prestige' is the only thing that matters the most... why? ... the social gap is just to wide... no one really cares whether the Torch is gravity defected or Iphone is just too complicated to operate since there is no escape button... LMAO...

*just my 2p
    02-01-11 05:31 PM
    iGeneration... I sense an iFanboy... Will stick with my BlackBerry thanks. I should go on as GenerationBerry and write an article tequila slamming the iPhone like he slammed the Torch.
    I don't think the iPhone would like that impact.

02-01-11 06:01 PM
    I will never understand why some people have to rant about things they are not under any pressure to buy, or use. You don't like a product? Then don't use it. Can it be more simple than that? These rants say more about unresolved issues that the writer has than about the product/device itself. Simply put, some need to get a life.
    Thank you!

02-01-11 09:23 PM
    I don't think the iPhone would like that impact.

BTW, how long have you had the Style? Have you posted a verdict on it?
    02-01-11 09:54 PM
    Is there something like a journalist's license? Because this guy should hand his over stat.
    02-02-11 11:27 PM

Learning curve
    Steep - to say the least, and often counter intuitive, but once one understands the mindset of RIM, it does become easier
    Not in my experience. We've given out all kinds of BlackBerries to people who neve rhad a smartphone before. I've never come across anyone who needed serious help or couldn't work them at all.

Exchange server
    Bit of a nightmare to get it setup but it now works well
    Well... Getting BES up and running is not for beginners, but once it's done, it's pretty much done. I have found that most of the time when we have issues with our BES setup, it's Exchange causing them, not BES itself. And once BEs is running, getting a phone activated on it is a cinch.

Hardware and build quality
    Beautifully made; ok a little weighty. The keyboard on all the Torches is a little 'loose' but that doesnt impact on use except 'psychologically'.
    I love the form factor, weight and balance of the Torch. It's not the thinnest phone on the market (which never bothered me), but compared to the iPhone and many Androids, it has a smaller footprint. The keypad is admittedly not the best RIM have ever done, I still think the Curve keypad is the best I have worked with.

It's good to see someone who evaluates all aspects before making up their mind. Kudos.
    02-02-11 11:39 PM
    He's probably at SJ's place bowing down to him now or better yet sucking his d.i.c.k.

Wow! But, if that is your fantasy......whatever.
    02-03-11 12:07 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD