Wow this guy really has a hate on for the Torch. http://m.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/10-reasons-why-the-blackberry-torch-got-sent-back/7520. Idk I guess since I don't own a Torch I can't truly say anything but from everything else I've read about the Torch, this guy is way out to lunch and obviously an iPhone yuppie. Torch owners does this guy make one valid point in his whole review?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    GeoK likes this.
    01-31-11 06:57 AM
    Just another Torch hater IMHO. As a business user and dedicated BB user I love my Torch. The phone does everything I wish to do without an effort. The size and weight are OK with me. The combination of touch screen and keyboard are a real winner for my usage. Those people who want an IPhone should go get one and stop hitting on BB for their personal foibles.
    01-31-11 07:09 AM
    aint it sad all these people knocking the fone if you dont like something you dont buy it, you dont make it your aim to constantly try and bring it down ??
    01-31-11 07:15 AM
    You should see the comment I left for him. I told him he's just too used to his iOS pacifier and needs to take 30 mins to learn how to use a real phone lol.

01-31-11 07:19 AM
    Of course a lot of things missing from Torch, it's not the perfect phone, but it can be an ideal choice for certain customers. My dream is a Bold 9000 wiht OS6 and touch screen (they are working on it at RIM :-), but at the moment the best choice for me is the Torch:

- touch+qwerty
    - Blackberry messaging service
    - quite good browser
    - very good camera
    - quite good battery life (compared to other platforms)

(My wife wants to buy a smartphone, and I suggested her to buy an iPhone 3GS, because she has different preferences than me. For example I don't think she would like the chaos-like menu structure of a Blackberry, and she doesn't have to type as much to use a hardware QWERTY.)

Anyway the writer of this review is an *****, why didn't he tried the Torch before he bought it?

The reasons listed below are not secret things, if you read 1 or 2 reviews before you buy it, you'll know it:
    1. The device is disproportionately weighted
    3. Touch and type: one or the other
    5. Massively underpowered
    6. Still no Exchange support; not for businesses
    8. No screen-orientation lock
    9. Lack of Storm-Torch application compatibility

I made a 2 hours long web research before I bought my Torch, and I knew the pros and cons, before I paid for it.
    OK I'm not a ZDNet journalist ...
    01-31-11 07:30 AM
    Worst review I've ever read. Light on specifics and heavy on contradictions.

One of his first complaints is his belief that the Torch is too heavy. Later on he cites "the gravity defying weight of the device".

Another complaint is that it isn't an iPhone ('nuff said), but earlier complains you can't get more than a day of battery use ("Battery life is beyond awful"). Really? Aside from the fact that many of us get over a day, show me an iPhone that can do so.

He rightly says the touch keyboard falls short of the iPhone but is better than "an Android" and "isn't all bad". But then goes on to complain about the physical keyboard and the Torch having both options.

No screen orientation lock. Hey Einstein, either open the slider or get an app like Six Tools.

This guy had an agenda and his mind was made up before ever picking up the device. The only thing in his review even remotely interesting is that he somehow slipped in the term "rectal craniotomy".
    Last edited by Altarocks; 01-31-11 at 07:45 AM.
    01-31-11 07:42 AM
    1. The device is disproportionately weighted......the slide-out keyboard is lighter than the screen, so your hands are pulled away from you by the sheer force of gravity when you type on the hardware keyboard, making it almost impossible to type.
    The Torch is 17.5% heavier than an iPhone. If it's to heavy for you then I would suggest a change in your diet.
    If you can't muster up the strength to hold 161g with 2 hands then get yourself one of those little foam rubber balls and practice squeezing.

2. There’s an app for that…
    Wrong, did you actually use the social apps?

3. Touch and type: one or the other
    Re: the touch compared to the iPhone; most of us would not argue this. The iPhone 4 is a little better.
    The keyboard is simply used when one wishes to type fast and efficient. Otherwise it's rarely required. The touch screen (landscape) keyboard will suffice. The majority can type quicker and more accurately on a keypad than a touchpad.

4. Menu madness
    Short or Full Menu setting; This is a very minor oversight that most BB users don't care about. Search it on Crackberry turned up nothing. Not a complaint found.

5. Massively underpowered
    I run a few apps on my Torch that my kids have on their iPod Touch and there is no noticeable difference in speed. e.g. Poynt, Google Maps, YouTube. I have other apps running simultaneously...they do not.

6. Still no Exchange support; not for businesses
    Admittedly, this comment is a little beyond my scope of email/cal sync knowledge but I will say my Blackberry Torch 9800 runs perfect on our company Exchange/BES. All my other email accounts and calendars sync wirelessly via BIS without fail.

7. Battery life is beyond awful
    I get 2 days of battery life. I don't live anywhere near the above mention locations.

8. No screen-orientation lock
    As the iPhone fans say...'there's an app for that'. Look it up!
    He also wrote: "for I and many other students like working in bed, this makes using the Torch, combined with the gravity defying weight of the device, makes it impossible to work with."
    So now it defies gravity. Make up your mind. Is it too heavy or to light?

9. Lack of Storm-Torch application compatibility
    This is OS related and not the fault of RIM. Native BB apps work as expected with the Torch touch screen. I suggest people will need to wait (in some cases more than 3 months) for the 3rd party app developers to update all of their software to operate on OS6.

10. It isn’t an iPhone, or a real BlackBerry. It just isn’t. Oh - and I appear to have reached the end of my argument on this one.
    We agree. It isn't an iPhone, thankfully. To say it's not a real Blackberry it ludicrous.
    Who are you arguing with; yourself?

His article is on of the most bias loads of dribble I have ever read about a piece of tech hardware.
    I used to be a fairly regular reader of ZDNet but if this is the type of garbage they are allowing these days then I don't think I will be returning to their site any time soon.
    01-31-11 09:45 AM
    Well here is what I have to say to the that guy. I turned off my iPhone4 yesterday and bought a Torch. My Torch makes a nice collection next to my Wife's and Daughter's Torches, and my Bold.
    01-31-11 12:48 PM
    I love this review !
    01-31-11 12:56 PM
    I love this review !
    That's because you don't like the Torch either. But, unlike him, you have always had a love/hate relationship with any of your Blackberries based on your past post here on CB.
    01-31-11 01:15 PM
    You should see the comment I left for him. I told him he's just too used to his iOS pacifier and needs to take 30 mins to learn how to use a real phone lol.

I posted my comments in his blog right after you. Come to think of it, why did I waste my time? Oh well.
    01-31-11 01:58 PM
    iGeneration
    Zack Whittaker

That should tell you everything.

It is just a bias opinion and can't be taken serious. You have no credibility when you write a bias opinion.
    01-31-11 01:59 PM
    He found it hard to type on the torch because of his tiny, menapausal, girl-like, brittle, baby hands. I just keep in mind that SOME tech reviewers seem to be just smart enough to turn on the devices they review.

01-31-11 02:14 PM
    He found it hard to type on the torch because of his tiny, menapausal, girl-like, brittle, baby hands. I just keep in mind that SOME tech reviewers seem to be just smart enough to turn on the devices they review.

No, he couldn't type well because he had just had his nails done and he was afraid of messing up the gloss of his nail polish.
    01-31-11 03:23 PM
    Wow. You Torch owners a a sensitive bunch.
    01-31-11 03:26 PM
    The guy who posted that review is definitely right about the keyboard. I own a torch and feel exactly the same way about the keyboard. It's definitely underpowered as well.
    01-31-11 03:53 PM
    Little spare time on your hands, Tucker? Voyeurism won't get you many girls.
    01-31-11 04:00 PM
    LOL I started this thread and I don't even own a torch (wish I did) I'm a BB enthusiast and I hate it when all of these iPhone/Android lovers decide to attack a BB because "it's not an iPhone or an Android". Of course a Blackberry isn't like either of the other platforms THAT'S WHY I OWN ONE! Lol. Blackberry's have always done WHAT THEY DO the best, and I really don't care what other phones can do. IPhone could be built to do your laundry for you and it still wouldn't be worth the hassle of the worst email app out there. Look at my avatar, I made it for a reason

01-31-11 04:43 PM
    LOL I started this thread and I don't even own a torch (wish I did) I'm a BB enthusiast and I hate it when all of these iPhone/Android lovers decide to attack a BB because "it's not an iPhone or an Android". Of course a Blackberry isn't like either of the other platforms THAT'S WHY I OWN ONE! Lol. Blackberry's have always done WHAT THEY DO the best, and I really don't care what other phones can do. IPhone could be built to do your laundry for you and it still wouldn't be worth the hassle of the worst email app out there. Look at my avatar, I made it for a reason

And I apologize in advance for the rant

01-31-11 04:43 PM

What's so worthless about iOS/Android's email app? Email presentation is way better on the iPhone......
    01-31-11 05:55 PM
    What's so worthless about iOS/Android's email app? Email presentation is way better on the iPhone......
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not so I'm just going to assume you are and not go on another rant

01-31-11 08:05 PM
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not so I'm just going to assume you are and not go on another rant

I'm dead serious....
    01-31-11 08:54 PM
    I totally just had a Fat ******* flash back. "I'm dead sexy" lmao

01-31-11 09:05 PM
    I totally just had a Fat ******* flash back. "I'm dead sexy" lmao

^^^uggh okay *Kanye shrugs*
    01-31-11 09:16 PM
    Back to my original post, I am severely disappointed in Zdnet for even letting this punk near a blackberry. If you know someone is biased why would you bother?

01-31-11 09:49 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD