Finally some love for the Torch!!!
    09-12-10 07:34 PM
    i know right lol
    09-12-10 08:15 PM
    I bought the Torch on the release day and have been using since. I love this phone and like it more and more every day. Last week I put the .214 OS on. .214 made it even better.

One thing that hardly gets talked about here is how good all Blackberries are at what Blackberry is known for: communicating. I mostly use e-mail on an enterpise system. I have access to my e-mail, calender and contacts when I need them. This is not something you can assume will happen on other platforms. The full keyboard makes using the system great, I have tried to use the virtual keyboard and, to my surprise, I am pretty good at it. I make less mistakes on it than I do on the iPhone. So, communication is easy and a pleasure. This is enough for many people.

But, the Torch is also supposed to be for fun. This is how I used the Torch yesterday: I had an appointment yesterday and I had to sit around for a few hours. I pull out my Torch and browse the web for a while. Everything comes up quickly and accurately. I get bored with that. I listen to some music. I take a few calls. I watch some You Tube. I watch some TV on my Slingbox. I browse for music on 7 Digital. I leave the appointment and go on some errands, I use the phone throughout the day. I use the Garmin trial app for true turn by turn directions. All of this works flawlessly. At the end of the day, I still had battery to spare. Is this fun enough?

Some other comments: the Torch has never crashed on me; I have never depleted my battery in a single day; I never made an embarrasing typing mistake in an e-mail like so many people I know who use phones that only have virtual keyboards; I type in complete sentences because it is easy to do it; the device is quick, smooth and lag free.

Would I want a bigger higher res screen? Not unless I could have it without sacrificing battery life. Would I want a faster processor? Not really, the Torch is plenty fast for everything that it does. How about more and better Apps? Of course, RIM has a way to go to make App World competitive.

I really hope the word gets out on the Torch and especially on how good OS6 really is. I picked up my wife's 9700 yesterday and tried tapping the screen to open a program. I laughed at myself.
    I agree with you 100%. Succinct and clear post.

.214 is amazing and progress will continue!
    09-12-10 08:58 PM
    had to return my first torch because it went haywire. Upgraded the OS on my second one and its history and a keeper!
    09-12-10 10:50 PM
    Reasons:
    -Key pad is recessed and harder to type on.
    -Free Apps I enjoy do not work, like Pandora.
    -Doesn't feel as stable in the hand as the Bold.
    -Difficult to slide phone open.

End result, went back to the Bold 9000. Easier to operate with one hand.
    09-12-10 11:42 PM
    Reasons:
    -Key pad is recessed and harder to type on.
    -Free Apps I enjoy do not work, like Pandora.
    -Doesn't feel as stable in the hand as the Bold.
    -Difficult to slide phone open.

End result, went back to the Bold 9000. Easier to operate with one hand.
    the Pandora is working.. it's been working for about a week now..
    you need to install it using a link. and just search in this forum.. we have a working link. And a working Pandora.. i just used it 30 minutes ago.
    09-12-10 11:49 PM
    I'm eagerly awaiting the Torch in Canada.

I took a quick look at the Storm the other day to get an idea for the screen - I don't see what people are complaining about.
    09-13-10 12:47 AM
    Man, its so nice to read a positive thread, you can read too many negative ones here that make you think that there is actually something fundamentally wrong with the phone.
    09-13-10 03:55 AM
    After reading this I can't wait to get the Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 07:04 AM
    still the best advice that anyone can benefit from..
    go out and try the phone for yourself.
    if you like it, then buy it.. if not then on the next one.
    Simple.
    09-13-10 07:13 AM
    still the best advice that anyone can benefit from..
    go out and try the phone for yourself.
    if you like it, then buy it.. if not then on the next one.
    Simple.
    Simple - or at least it should be. I do get a kick out of the "tell me why I should get such & such" threads....
    09-13-10 07:20 AM
    When I went to the AT&T store yesterday, the Torch seemed to me to be very popular. Lots of people picked it up and played with it. I heard a "wish it was on Verizon" comment. It was definitely one of the most handled devices in the store when I was there.

I would not assume that sales are going to be bad. Time will tell. RIM is moving to OS6. This, in my opinion, is more important than the torch itself. I think that eventually there will be an OS6 device for everyone's tastes.

Personally, I like the Torch's form factor. I don't think I would want a phone without a real keyboard. But, I am getting pretty good at using the touch screen keyboard on the Torch. So, never say never.
    09-13-10 07:21 AM
    lawguyman, I just read on Twitter that .225 has leaked. Will you be loading that up on your Torch?
    09-13-10 01:36 PM
    I'm going to see what everyone else says before loading it. There is talk of bug fixes but I am not sure what bugs there really are.
    09-13-10 02:17 PM
    Email/Browser rotation/close bug seems to be fixed.

SMS/Text have to scroll down to bottom of long threads when opening an unread message does not appear to be fixed.

It's the same thing at .214 with a few bug fixes according to Crucial_Xtreme.
    09-13-10 02:43 PM
    the Pandora is working.. it's been working for about a week now..
    you need to install it using a link. and just search in this forum.. we have a working link. And a working Pandora.. i just used it 30 minutes ago.
    Not only Pandora....which I don't really use....BerryBuzz, which I LOVE, just got upgraded.

dancin'....dancin'...dancin'....
    09-13-10 03:02 PM
    Pandora is working fine now, just a bit slow to get it opened the first time. I'm quite pleased with my Torch

Agree, nice to see positive threads around here!
    09-13-10 07:35 PM
    Not only Pandora....which I don't really use....BerryBuzz, which I LOVE, just got upgraded.

dancin'....dancin'...dancin'....
    Doin' the disco, are we?
    09-13-10 08:18 PM
    Glad you're all loving it! Can't wait for mine.

As for the post above, isn't there a "sports mode" option that makes the shutter instant? Or am I sadly mistaken..
    You beat me to the punch.... Yes I too didnt like the shutter speed (at first) but then realized that this thing has several settings (one of which is sports mode) Camera shutter clicks instantly! As for the torch in general? Best phone ive had to date! And this is coming from someone who has a few different phones (im a phone *****) The iPhone 3Gs/nexus one running androin 2.2 (froyo) and of course my BB's!
    Last edited by MindTracker; 09-13-10 at 10:22 PM.
    09-13-10 10:19 PM
    After reading these posts I've fully confident that when I upgrade from my current 9700 I'll be more then happy with the torch.

It's nice to see posts like this after a months use, to me it takes more then 3 or more hours to decide whether or not a person will like a device.
    09-14-10 05:38 AM
    I just had torch since one week and more days are passing, more i am loving this phone. I had quite apprehensions about physical key pads since i didn't use physical keypad phone since 2002. My journey started with iPAQ, HTC Touch, Diamond, iPhone2, storm1, storm2 and now torch. Seeing the key pad of Torch, I was amazed, i could type long emails withut any mistake. Although, I love typing on "Suretype" virtual keypad on screen but for a change physical key pad is great too.
    Today I got updated to .225. The beauty part is I haven't experienced any drop call on torch while I used to have some on my storm2.
    09-14-10 06:00 AM
    I'm a bit frustrated with this whole process.

I love BB. I've only been a user for about 2.5 years. When my curve gave up the ghost, I decided to try a droid. I'm with ATT - need I say more? Waited for a decent phone to come out. Thought I found it in the Captivate by Samsung. Incredible screen - which ate the battery for breakfast! Incredible app choice - felt like a kid in a FREE candy store. I bought it early on. Did a ton of research. Decided "I" could make it work with Outlook. Oh - silly me. Even though I found Samsung's Keyes software....what started out like a kid in a candy store, it turned into Friday the 13th with Freddie. Massive contact destruction. Calander mishaps. Unhappy clients. Unhappy husband. Unhappy kids. Tired mom. But hey - pretty screen. (rolling eyes). Didn't know what to do. Can't do iPhone, plus the 4G is having tremendous antenna issues. Don't like the Bold - husband has it - like the quick processor but don't like some things about it. Want a droid! Want the flexibility! Missed the feel of my BB, the logic of it, the communication. Took my droid back and tried another droid samsung just in case it was the phone (which is what they said it was). But no, more destruction. Finally give up on android. Sigh...then the very next day, after starting my research ALL over again, BB Torch shows up. Researched real fast, decide it's my only choice. I go get one. Faulty. Go get another one. Hardware issues. Go get my third. Yes, you heard that right. In the course of 45 days, I have gone through 5 phones. Nope, no hair left.

So, my assessment? Best option but I think BB pushed too hard to get this out. I'm fairly sure I have bugs in this phone too. Yes, I update regularly. No, I don't have any problems with my computer. I just think BB is scared stiff by the growing competition..... and rightly so.

I've always loved the 'logic' of bb. Yet, they've tried to combine an android feel overly - YIKES! Well, my favorites won't stay in my favorites even though they say they are still my favorites. Getting to who I want to call takes a road map and gps (which I do appreciate the GPS services!) And there are other annoyances as well. But, I think what bothers me most at this point is the lack of apps. They said they would release code...and yet...no themes yet. Come on! Play with us, please! Nicely that is!

Bottom line, I think Google, Microsoft, and BB need to play nicer with each other - all three - for our benefit! I'm all for a hefty profit.....but enough is enough. I'm sure everyone had nice year end bonuses last year. It's time to stop beta testing, divide & conquering, using us poor dependent souls to justify some sick need to compete. Ok, so competition isn't the real enemy....actually quite the opposite. I'm just tired of who will sync with who and what I have to pay to get it done or not done and what I have to give up in the mean time.....and of course, what hardware works and doesn't.

You'll have to forgive me. I'm tired....and probably heading back to my equally tired AT&T reps with yet another phone that I believe might be buggy. And No, I don't have a history of this! Well, not past 45 days ago. I quite like my stability....after all isn't stability why we walked away from our Palms and Windows Mobile?

Okay, thank you for letting me vent. I'll be back with a list of "what the heck is this?" when I can be sure that my business life is relatively secure - given I've lost my way to contact many of them....which, well, isn't good....I'll be back for help. And maybe some Prozac too.
    09-15-10 09:15 AM
    Got my torch 1 week ago. Here in my country I won't be seeing it till early next year, so bought it unlocked from local retailer for 800 usd. But am very satisfied with it. Was a bold 9700 user ( which is my wife's now).

Upgraded the os immediately after getting it. So don't know what problems lies before the .214 update. But got the occasional browser close bug while on .214. After .225 update, can't reproduce it anymore. Love everything about this phone. The battery life is good enough to make it thru the day for me. And I am a heavy berry addict. The screen, while not as stunning as the retina display or amoled, is usable and plays nice with the battery life, same goes for the processor. I have lots of app installed, can't notice any slowdowns or lagging. Only the boot up process is prolonged by a minute and 21 seconds. I can live with that.

Am a very happy torch user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 09:54 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD