Good morning all. I see that we've got some serious tech experts on here. I'm glad.

My question is this. I have the BB 9700 but have fallen in love with the idea of a Torch, which in my opinion combines the best of IPhone with the BB ... primarily the fact that it's got a real keyboard. Can I, if I choose to get the torch, migrate my themes, games, apps, etc. My enterprise people will migrate my business email and so forth, but what about the rest of my stuff. I went through a lot of trouble and expense for these other things.

Thoughts please?

Thanks.
    11-19-10 07:29 AM
    As much as I love my Torch I would go back to a 9700 only if it have OS 6. I barely use the touch and still use the trackpad to navigate. The only good thing about the touchscreen is it's big to play youtube videos on and it's great for pinch and zoom purposes. Other then that I'd still be happy if I went back to a none touch BB.
    11-19-10 07:36 AM
    Themes most definitely will not transfer over, most apps won't either. Some will allow a device switch but more then likely you will have to buy your apps again. Even if you went to the 9780(upgraded version of the 9700) most of the same stuff wont switch over being your going from a OS5 device to an OS6 device.
    11-19-10 07:37 AM
    Torch has a touch screen of a size different from the 9700. I don't think you can migrate your themes - though you can a few of your 9700 apps. I migrated BerryWeather, DocsToGo etc. from my 9700 to the Torch. Many apps have both touch and non-touch versions. Mobihand.com and other sites allow migration for apps which are PIN tied.
    Hope that helped!
    11-19-10 07:39 AM
    Don't just fall in love with the idea. Go in the store and test it for yourself.

If you decide to buy the Torch, backup your 9700 and migrate the data and settings via DM only. In BB App World, refresh your apps in My World and reinstall making sure to note any app keys for those requiring them. Re-install from My World. For ShopCB. log into your account and change the PIN as well as converting any apps to the new version and re-install only those compatible with OS 6.
    11-19-10 12:10 PM
    I would not worry that much about 5.0 apps working. Of the 80+ apps that were
    on my 9700 only two don't work on my 9800. They are UltimateLock and eMobile
    Professional today. Everything else works flawlessly and the majority I just restored
    from the old device.
    11-19-10 12:25 PM
    I would not worry that much about 5.0 apps working. Of the 80+ apps that were
    on my 9700 only two don't work on my 9800. They are UltimateLock and eMobile
    Professional today. Everything else works flawlessly and the majority I just restored
    from the old device.
    Very True Gracey!
    I think all but one of mine worked, and some you may have to throw down a Dollar once they upgrade it to 6.0, which is nothing considering the price to upgrade the phone from 9700. The torch is definately worth it, the touch plus the keyboard, the memory and the camera resolution are a great combination. Oh yea... forget battery pulls... unless you uninstall a theme or something..
    11-19-10 01:17 PM
    I would think twice if I were you.

The 9700 is an awesome device with OS 6 loaded. I had a Torch and I returned it after a week as the physical keyboard was too flat for my liking, and the battery sucks
    11-19-10 03:35 PM
    Just don't switch back...I put OS6 on my boyfriend's 9700 and kept trying to tap his screen with my fingers.... :-\
    11-19-10 03:38 PM
    I would think twice if I were you.

The 9700 is an awesome device with OS 6 loaded. I had a Torch and I returned it after a week as the physical keyboard was too flat for my liking, and the battery sucks
    I thought I smelled pancakes again. By now, everyone is aware of your decision to revert back to the 9700. First, you are red hot for the Torch and then because of the keyboard not the OS or the browser or the touchscreen or some other major aspect, we have to hear about buyers' remorse. It is getting a bit thin The keyboard is fine and the battery life is not bad. Battery life depends on the degree of usage and the habits of the owner as well as the OS.
    11-19-10 03:48 PM
    Battery does not suck. It all depends on what you're running, settings, and how much you use it, like any other device. I find my battery to last at least as long as that of my Bold 9000, and I use the Torch a whole lot more than I ever used the Bold.

As a few have said already, most apps will port to and run on the Torch. Themes on the other hand are a whole different animal. Most themes that work well on the Torch were designed for its form factor, while those made for other form factors obviously were not. While part of the fun is finding new themes that float your boat, I keep coming back to stock. Best bet, check it out yourself and see if it's really something you'll fall in love with.

FWIW, I was pretty apprehensive as well when it came time to trade up from the Bold. Given all the new features that OS6 and the Torch's form factor bring to the table, I was a little concerned that I'd be overwhelmed by it all and seriously considered just going with an upgraded Bold model. But I love this thing, and as much as I loved the Bold, I don't see myself ever going back.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    11-19-10 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD