so if I use "blackberry messenger" to send anything, that is free.

Yes?

Bear with me, I'm new at this.
    it's not free. it's just covered under your
    data plan. free would mean you don't have
    to pay a monthly service charge for it.

so if you have unlimited bb data, you're
    covered. if you have a limit (eg. 5gb),
    it will take away from your allotment.
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 11:15 AM
    I started with the 200mb/mo data plan. $10 more to go to 2GB I think. There isnt an unlimited plan offered currently...

it's not free. it's just covered under your
    data plan. free would mean you don't have
    to pay a monthly service charge for it.
    Right. I meant free as in my monthly fee covers a million minutes of it. No worries about overages. That kind of thing.

Now... Back to BBM. If I send a million picture texts via BBM, via wifi, I neednt worry about data overages.

But if there is no wifi around, its draining my data allotment.

Yes?
    12-13-10 11:26 AM
    Now... Back to BBM. If I send a million picture texts via BBM, via wifi, I neednt worry about data overages.

But if there is no wifi around, its draining my data allotment.

Yes?
    100% correct.

The unlimited data plan is no longer available from AT&T, you have to have had it before they changed there plans a while back and be grandfathered into it.
    12-13-10 11:27 AM
    and if I send the same thing via text, the picture plus text, (since I have unlimited texts) Its not using data. Just a text.

Assuming the recipient is here in the USA also.

See how this is confusing? With no international worries, and unlimited texts, BBM will actually cost me MORE it seems.
    12-13-10 11:29 AM
    You are 100% correct. For you, Yes BBM locally(within the 50 states) would end up costing you more. while someone like myself(1500 texts and unlimited data) BBM costs me less to use.

But also remember BBM costs you nothing to use if connected to wifi.

It's personal preference. I don't know many of my friends that have a BB so before joining this forum and beta testing, and becoming a member of a BBM group. I never had a reason to even use BBM.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-13-10 at 11:36 AM.
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 11:33 AM
    ok, cool. Now I think I get it.

I have 5 family members whom as soon as they heard I got the torch said "oh! oh! give us your pin so we can send pics of the kids back and forth for free!"

Perhaps they are on unlimited data plans where they live. I have no idea who their carrier is.

Mine is AT&T and I do not have unlimited.

So at home I can use BBM for free since I'll be using wifi. But if I'm not connected to wifi out and about somewhere I should send a standard text. Or wait til I am connected.

Or incur some data useage.
    12-13-10 11:41 AM
    Well you would be surprised how much little data you will use. I have no fear of using BBM or browsing the web nor does my wife. I have the unlimited plan and never even go near the 2gb plan AT&T has as their top data plan and neither does my wife. Now that she has a BB we BBM all day long and neither of us worry about data usage. Just monitor your data, I think you'll find you wont have to worry about it either.

Data compression is whats so great about a BB and data plans. Yes it makes the browser a bit slower compared to other devices, but we use 1/4 of the data a comparable device with no compression uses.
    12-13-10 11:45 AM
    I am planning on getting the "mywirelessmobile" app from at&t to monitor data useage.

I'm just paranoid about it right now. As a new user. I have the 200mb/mo plan. I should probably spend another $10 and get 2GB...
    12-13-10 11:52 AM
    Instead of installing an app(you can of course if you want to), you can call AT&T with the number *3282# and they will reply with a free text message on how much data your currently using and when your billing cycle will end.
    12-13-10 11:55 AM
    cool. I'll try that out too.
    12-13-10 11:59 AM
    Welcome to the world of Blackberry eighteez 99% of the folks on the forums here are very helpfull. You'll find folks who are new like yourself to people who are Blackberry server administrator like myself. Oh and being a server admin does not mean I know alot about the handhelds Really it just means I tend to live on here more than other poeple!
    12-13-10 12:38 PM
    thanks for the welcome.

And thanks to all for the help so far.
    12-13-10 12:41 PM
    you can call AT&T with the number *3282# and they will reply with a free text message on how much data your currently using and when your billing cycle will end.
    I'm not getting a reply doing this...

Do I text this?
    12-13-10 12:42 PM
    You call the number from your phone.

Press send:

If you don't press the ok button you will then see this:

Then you will get an actual text message from AT&T:

12-13-10 01:13 PM
    Just to give you an idea how efficient a blackberry is with data.
    I have a 2Gb data allowance on my plan.
    I use BBM to chat and exchange pictures extensively both domestic and international.
    I use MSN messenger on my blackberry
    I browse the web fairly frequently on the device
    The social feeds app updates from my twitter and facebook hourly.
    To top things off, some months I tether quite extensively with my laptop.

To date (I have had this plan over a year, and my torch since it came out) I have barely exceeded 50% of my data allowance....
    12-13-10 02:24 PM
    great info!

Thanks!!!!

That reminds me...

I need to find an easy way to update my facebook status, and have that sync with twitter and send out a tweet as well.

Man there is a lot to learn. Dumb phones are so much easier!
    12-13-10 02:25 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD